A Hint to New Members.....

It was very refreshing to read this. The first, and only, forum I tried was not much interested in discussion. Other members were rude, angry, attacking, and strongly emphasized that all comments required a source to support them.

Let me remind you that with your very first post on this forum, you insulted the intelligence of the majority of posters here, as well as the majority of Americans, by stating that the generally, historically accepted view of the Civil War is "northern revisionism". You provided no evidence to support that statement. Are we all just supposed to accept YOU as the harbinger of truth and the sage of all wisdom, in contradiction to what we have learned from years of research, discussion and debate?

Well, I learned long ago that individuals can make any quote support their position. It is much like using statistics to prove your point. I have been interested in this war for most of my life. Was really hoping this site would be a good one for discussion, am sorry that it did not turn out to be so

Certainly quotes can be altered and taken out of context to support alternate points of view - we see that here all the time. But that's the beauty of a discussion forum - when somebody does that, there are others to call them out on it and to provide contrasting evidence. Eventually a preponderance of evidence will usually emerge. People reading this forum with an open mind can then form opinions on the basis of the evidence presented. People coming to this forum with a closed mind, however, and a belief that there is only one "southern" viewpoint, and that all contrasting viewpoints are nothing but "northern revisionism", are generally not going to be very satisfied.

It was very refreshing to read this. The first, and only, forum I tried was not much interested in discussion. Other members were rude, angry, attacking, and strongly emphasized that all comments required a source to support them. Well, I learned long ago that individuals can make any quote support their position. It is much like using statistics to prove your point. I have been interested in this war for most of my life. Was really hoping this site would be a good one for discussion, am sorry that it did not turn out to be so.
:bye:

roydenoral
I hope you have had some positive experiences on the forums
I have but, I have only been a member for 3 weeks
I tend to avoid too much controversy and tension
I like to make "light" of our human side
Keep at it , the path will never be level
2nd LMS
Dear BlueGrayBlood, thank-you for your kind comments. I will admit my initial post was rude to most members and for that I sincerely apologize. I just believe that there are two viewpoints of the war. When people will only accept one viewpoint, I refer to that as "revisionist history," be it from the northern or southern perspective. Evidently, members want all viewpoints supported by quotes of individuals from the mid-nineteenth century, or from current historians. This can be ineffective when some individuals will not recognize certain sources as valid. Also, quotes can be misused to support any point. I am not implying that this is the case on this website. I do have a southern perspective and that perspective is apparently not acceptable on this site. I have been called ignorant and a liar by various members. This saddens me as I have so much I would have liked to share. I do wish the best for all of you and hopefully a time will come when the war can be discussed without contention.

It was very refreshing to read this. The first, and only, forum I tried was not much interested in discussion. Other members were rude, angry, attacking, and strongly emphasized that all comments required a source to support them. Well, I learned long ago that individuals can make any quote support their position. It is much like using statistics to prove your point. I have been interested in this war for most of my life. Was really hoping this site would be a good one for discussion, am sorry that it did not turn out to be so.

This is not the place for over sensitive folks. If it was, I would have packed my bags long ago. We do ask for sources. It's an important part of historical study. And yes, quotes can be misused. I hope most of us are adult enough to look on our own.

When a site has hundreds of active, happy users, I think it behooves each of us to think about what we're saying and how we're representing ourselves. One thing we never want to do is seem to keep someone from voluntarily blowing this joint. If you're happier elsewhere, terrific!

:dance:

Back