A Hint to New Members.....

Just a couple of hints, folks.

1) Modern politics gets you shut down. Without regard to who you are, etc.
2) Re-read the terms of membership and rules for the forum. If you're ugly to others, you get shut down.
3) We don't like to delete posts. We will shut down threads....but generally don't delete. Don't ask us to 'Delete the stupid post!"

Chill occasionally. This board is here for discussion, not bloodletting.

Can I post any extract from a book, magazine, newspaper, etc as long as I reference/credit the publication or are there circumstances where the author's/publisher's permission is required ??

It doesn't but I didn't want to start a new thread.
I was under the impression that this thread was for directions to other threads. Why do you always find it necessary to be so aggressive?
Which rule did I break?

Want to continue? Please read the terms of service and rules of the forum. You are in violation of one right now.

Just a reminder from those of us who have been around a while....

We have literally THOUSANDS of posts on every conceivable Civil War topic. We certainly don't want to dampen enthusiasm, but please consider using the search (with key words as your terms) to see what's already been posted. We've noticed a plethora of new threads with almost the word for word titles as some that already exist.

You have a couple of neat options. If you think your question is similar, just bump the original thread and ask your own question (bump, BTW, means to post something new so an old thread comes to the top--think of it as "refreshing").

If you think your thread is considerably different from the original, reference a similar post in your opening post--that gives folks a chance to not "reinvent the wheel" so to speak.

And please do take advantage of the years of excellent information already available! Now--get out there and get with it...and have fun!

Thanks
still learning some of the options and how to access info and threads
BGB

No recriminations. Better to resurrect an old thread than to start a new one.

ole
See I am reading threads and comments two years old to figure this place out or I am in a Fool's time warp?
I guess I should have "searched" a thread about those shoes or shoe factory, oh yeah that was jest supposed to be a yolk in the chat room, but it got me searching on google about it and found that great story teller Shelby Foote's dialogue on it

Hope you are having a great upside down day
BGB

ole
See I am reading threads and comments two years old to figure this place out or I am in a Fool's time warp?
I guess I should have "searched" a thread about those shoes or shoe factory, oh yeah that was jest supposed to be a yolk in the chat room, but it got me searching on google about it and found that great story teller Shelby Foote's dialogue on it

Hope you are having a great upside down day
BGB
Don't sweat it BGB. When I first joined, it was difficult to read all the threads, but it was not impossible. Now, I figure it is impossible, but in there I was a mod and felt required to read all posts.

The searching thing doesn't work well for me. Although I know there were many threads on the subject, finding them would require patience and dedication, which are among the things I don't do well.

You will now and then be informed that you ought to have searched; maybe, maybe not. I'll just say, "wasn't either," and let you and others figure out why not. There are very few threads here that haven't been thrown out before: black confederates and who started the war and what Lincoln ought to have done and what the Confederacy ought to have done and was slavery the real cause.

Jump in wherever you please. Some will tell you where to look for a previous discussion. Some won't.

Just a comment on the search engine:

I do think one ought to make some effort to see what's been said before posting, especially regarding basic subjects that it's certain have been discussed sometime in the past fifteen years. However, I've made searches that didn't return a solid hit (at least in the five or six pages of possible hits I reviewed) only to have someone later dig up an old post from, say, three years ago.

When one uses key words one gets all the posts containing those words - most recent ones first - and, if the key words are ones likely to be used in a number of contexts, then there'll be an overload of returns which just aren't practical to sort through. So, I think some slack should be issued to us new recruits.

Last edited:
Just a reminder from those of us who have been around a while....

We have literally THOUSANDS of posts on every conceivable Civil War topic. We certainly don't want to dampen enthusiasm, but please consider using the search (with key words as your terms) to see what's already been posted. We've noticed a plethora of new threads with almost the word for word titles as some that already exist.

You have a couple of neat options. If you think your question is similar, just bump the original thread and ask your own question (bump, BTW, means to post something new so an old thread comes to the top--think of it as "refreshing").

If you think your thread is considerably different from the original, reference a similar post in your opening post--that gives folks a chance to not "reinvent the wheel" so to speak.

And please do take advantage of the years of excellent information already available! Now--get out there and get with it...and have fun!
I'm probably one of the guilty parties. Sorry!
Thanks for the admonition. I'll try to watch that in the future.

I'm probably one of the guilty parties. Sorry!
Thanks for the admonition. I'll try to watch that in the future.
Do not ever be sorry, unless you do know how to search and don't.

Actually, there aren't many new topics; they all tend to have been discussed before. If you know of an old thread and have something new to say, reopen it; otherwise, just ask a question. Most are open to a resurrection of a topic.

(Did you notice, Annie, the correct use of a semicolon?)

I suspect that many visitors don't want to know as much as they want to discuss it. Someone working on a paper will find more than enough information here and more than enough references for further research. This should be a first stop for any CW student. But the fun is in the conversation. I thought about a "what if" and found it worked over seven years ago. No fun in that for me.
It was very refreshing to read this. The first, and only, forum I tried was not much interested in discussion. Other members were rude, angry, attacking, and strongly emphasized that all comments required a source to support them. Well, I learned long ago that individuals can make any quote support their position. It is much like using statistics to prove your point. I have been interested in this war for most of my life. Was really hoping this site would be a good one for discussion, am sorry that it did not turn out to be so.

Back