A Hint to New Members.....

Nate. I Can barely use the computer, and aparently don't see the key words that others do. My sucess with search has been none. Twice since I have been on the sight there has been a post about a dinner in Europe that Grant was intoduced as the Man Who won the War, To which He responded, It was the men who won the war.
I have tried every combination that I could think of and haven't found it.
I have demonstrated and displayed with guns, tools,old equipment and you get a lot of the same questionsfrom people who think, Finlly, someone who may have the answer and ask while it is still hot in there mind, I still think to myself that has already been asked, but do they know the question to ask

Folks, it's just a suggestion that you do a search, it's not mandatory, nor required... but it's still a good idea. I put a 'like' on the op as did 11 other people so there are others who think it's a valid suggestion too. So, let's not get all bent out o' shape here. If you don't feel like searching, then don't.

Nate. I Can barely use the computer, and aparently don't see the key words that others do. My sucess with search has been none. Twice since I have been on the sight there has been a post about a dinner in Europe that Grant was intoduced as the Man Who won the War, To which He responded, It was the men who won the war.
I have tried every combination that I could think of and haven't found it.
I have demonstrated and displayed with guns, tools,old equipment and you get a lot of the same questionsfrom people who think, Finlly, someone who may have the answer and ask while it is still hot in there mind, I still think to myself that has already been asked, but do they know the question to ask

Frank, I have no problem with helping someone who can't find information. Lord knows my searches don't always work perfectly! But I always have this fear that people will be sitting there waiting for info and the person who knows will be a while...and they'll get discouraged. My suggestion is for those who don't have the time to wait....or patience! :smile: And it is just a HINT.....not a requirement!

I agree with this 100% however I still use the search function if i am trying to find information on subjects I am researching.
And here is the rub Gunsmith.

The board was established many ears ago to provide a place where one could search a subject and find a discussion on it.
Flash forward 10 years and it has gone ape poop.

If you are of a mind to want to find something, it is often easier to just ask than to search.

It was. I was getting ready to post a new thread on the book Hardtack & Coffee and remembered your cue to do a little searching first. Lo, and behold, a thread on that very same book.:thumbsup:

So then, no recriminations for resurrecting a 4 year old thread?

It was. I was getting ready to post a new thread on the book Hardtack & Coffee and remembered your cue to do a little searching first. Lo, and behold, a thread on that very same book.:thumbsup:

So then, no recriminations for resurrecting a 4 year old thread?
No recriminations. Better to resurrect an old thread than to start a new one.

Google can be used to search this site.

For example.

site:civilwartalk.com ewell gettysburg practicable

I read an interesting thread here once and I'm having trouble finding it. I'd had to start a new thread when I know an old one exists. Can anyone give me a link to the thread about Sherman's soldiers coming up on a plantation where the slaves were severely abused? I think it was mentioned that the trees had blankets around them because whipping was so frequent. Thanks

And if your going to cut and paste an article or book quote I would add separating the paragraphs as they were originally done. It is much easier reading then to have everything jumbled together without seperation of paragraphs. And lastly, put the book's author and name of book or the website address at the bottom.

I read an interesting thread here once and I'm having trouble finding it. I'd had to start a new thread when I know an old one exists. Can anyone give me a link to the thread about Sherman's soldiers coming up on a plantation where the slaves were severely abused? I think it was mentioned that the trees had blankets around them because whipping was so frequent. Thanks

Unionist, that might be hard to find. Just keep tossing stuff in the search box, or start a thread and see if someone remembers....that's entirely okay, you know. Sometimes on popular topics like Sherman and his march, etc. there are just too many threads to search through. But as Ole says, someone will know.

Sorry I can't be more help. I've read too many threads!:cry:

When I first joined this board, I read every thread and forum, which was considerably easier then than it is now. And I still suck on "search." (Think there were less than 1,000 members then.)

Fortunately, if I remember a subject that was covered many years ago, there are more than few that don't suck on search, and they'll put up the link.

There might well be a thread somewhere back there on about everything. But new stuff comes up and here we go again!:smile coffee:

I feel like I won the lottery today.. found a great picture of a Greatgreat Uncle who fought in 27th Regiment, Georgia Infantry Company F .. would love to share it, if I knew the best place. ???

To frankconrad believe me I know what you mean I have one eye and losing my site in this one

I feel like I won the lottery today.. found a great picture of a Greatgreat Uncle who fought in 27th Regiment, Georgia Infantry Company F .. would love to share it, if I knew the best place. ???

Ancestors forum would be great. That way you can also include his info with it. Just start a thread with his name. That way it'll be easy to find. :smile:

Back