A Hint to New Members.....

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Silver Patron
Retired Moderator
Just a reminder from those of us who have been around a while....

We have literally THOUSANDS of posts on every conceivable Civil War topic. We certainly don't want to dampen enthusiasm, but please consider using the search (with key words as your terms) to see what's already been posted. We've noticed a plethora of new threads with almost the word for word titles as some that already exist.

You have a couple of neat options. If you think your question is similar, just bump the original thread and ask your own question (bump, BTW, means to post something new so an old thread comes to the top--think of it as "refreshing").

If you think your thread is considerably different from the original, reference a similar post in your opening post--that gives folks a chance to not "reinvent the wheel" so to speak.

And please do take advantage of the years of excellent information already available! Now--get out there and get with it...and have fun!

Don't upset the Texans!!! :timebomb:

Search may have limited help at times; if you use different key word that original it may not show up. I have found that on occasion. Plus the search will show the topic with MULTIPLE postings (pet peeve of mine, i want titles and topics not every posting that mentions that key word)

Now step off the soapbox blessmag--feel better already :thumbsup:

I suspect that many visitors don't want to know as much as they want to discuss it. Someone working on a paper will find more than enough information here and more than enough references for further research. This should be a first stop for any CW student. But the fun is in the conversation. I thought about a "what if" and found it worked over seven years ago. No fun in that for me.

I suspect that many visitors don't want to know as much as they want to discuss it. Someone working on a paper will find more than enough information here and more than enough references for further research. This should be a first stop for any CW student. But the fun is in the conversation. I thought about a "what if" and found it worked over seven years ago. No fun in that for me.

Of course, you can always look to see if your viewpoint differs, or say you agree with what so and so posted.....and sometimes there is new research or something that's just been published.

But I will say, the 40th time you see the exact same question it's sort of hard to come up with a civil answer. :smile:

We have literally THOUSANDS of posts on every conceivable Civil War topic. We certainly don't want to dampen enthusiasm, but please consider using the search (with key words as your terms) to see what's already been posted. We've noticed a plethora of new threads with almost the word for word titles as some that already exist.

You have a couple of neat options. If you think your question is similar, just bump the original thread and ask your own question (bump, BTW, means to post something new so an old thread comes to the top--think of it as "refreshing").

If you think your thread is considerably different from the original, reference a similar post in your opening post--that gives folks a chance to not "reinvent the wheel" so to speak.

And please do take advantage of the years of excellent information already available! Now--get out there and get with it...and have fun!

I'm new here and what you've written is very helpful. Thanks! :smile:

I'm going to test the search engine right now. I'm looking for Missouri CW soldiers.

I've noticed over the past 10 years, that forums that post this search first take,,,,, usually run off members, and the posts and threads go stale.
It stops new, original thought, new counter-thought,,, and participation.
If someone ("those of you that have been around awhile") is too bored or tired to reply to a take or question,,, skip the thread or post.
No one is holding a Glock to your head to reply to a thread or post that has been discussed before.

So what if it's been discussed before?
A new fresh take is always welcome, and ignites new discussion.

Otherwise, just make it a search web site, and forget rehashing with new views.
In fact, consider doing away with the search feature,,, and let's all get involved in discussing the Civil War like we're in a Forum or something.

I've noticed over the past 10 years, that forums that post this search first take,,,,, usually run off members, and the posts and threads go stale.
It stops new, original thought, new counter-thought,,, and participation.
If someone ("those of you that have been around awhile") is too bored or tired to reply to a take or question,,, skip the thread or post.
No one is holding a Glock to your head to reply to a thread or post that has been discussed before.

So what if it's been discussed before?
A new fresh take is always welcome, and ignites new discussion.

Otherwise, just make it a search web site, and forget rehashing with new views.
In fact, consider doing away with the search feature,,, and let's all get involved in discussing the Civil War like we're in a Forum or something.
I agree with this 100% however I still use the search function if i am trying to find information on subjects I am researching.

I agree with this 100% however I still use the search function if i am trying to find information on subjects I am researching.

I agree and take your right honourable position, but I've seen forums that dish-ragged new posters so bad about search first,, they just back into heII and fold or become a 5 active member forum.

YFZ central was the premier off roading website for a time, pulling some good advertising bank,, but everyone threw in the towel and left after the search first policy became a decree.
The damage to the membership participation was un-reverse-able, no company would dare advertise there now, if it's even still operating.

I don't mind helping people out or throwing in a take I deem somewhat accurate with precautions that it came from my pea sized brain.

Unfortunately, at least one of our late, great members made many posts that are worthy of reading on various topics. I certainly wish he were still around to "discuss like a forum," but he's not. And you're missing something by not reading his words.

Not everyone haunts forums; some folks are totally new to this experience and don't even realize how much is available here. Unless you can remember everything that's ever been posted in the long life of the forum and want to provide it to those who ask, I guess we'll just have to go with that darned search function.

Nate. I Can barely use the computer, and aparently don't see the key words that others do. My sucess with search has been none. Twice since I have been on the sight there has been a post about a dinner in Europe that Grant was intoduced as the Man Who won the War, To which He responded, It was the men who won the war.
I have tried every combination that I could think of and haven't found it.
I have demonstrated and displayed with guns, tools,old equipment and you get a lot of the same questionsfrom people who think, Finlly, someone who may have the answer and ask while it is still hot in there mind, I still think to myself that has already been asked, but do they know the question to ask

Back