A good Navy day - two Civil War revolvers

scooter748driver

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Received two Civil War revolvers today, a Colt Model 1851 Navy made in 1857 and Savage-North Navy.

I‘ll post a separate thread about the 1851 as I have some questions about it. Once I look the Savage over more and can find the serial number I’ll post more about it. Suffice it to say the 1851 is all matching and operates perfectly. The Savage operates as it should as well (not able to get the screw to loosen to take it apart just yet).

Wanted to share a couple of pics of each and ask for feedback on either/both. Anything I should be looking for, especially on the Savage?

E1F2529E-DEC6-4A96-B6EB-5CE48FA8C899.jpeg

7FE8C9DD-374A-47E9-8C13-F4081EB5D859.jpeg

AC9DE3D1-2B67-469F-8AD9-3777B384075A.jpeg

1E4BC52A-813D-4D05-B124-FA3422F35A37.jpeg

Yup nice Savage but maybe it's just me the wood grips look in much better shape then the rest of the gun, just wondering if there replacements. Actually one side looks cleaner or less aged then the other side. Whats the serial # barrel markings on the 1851? Plus it looks like someone cleaned that up too much removing all the original finish.

Yup nice Savage but maybe it's just me the wood grips look in much better shape then the rest of the gun, just wondering if there replacements. Actually one side looks cleaner or less aged then the other side.
The Savage grips look original; they have been sanded some to clean them up. You can see some rounding of the wood where there should be a sharp edge. The rounding at the bottom edges could be caused by wear, but the top edges are not sharp where they butt against the wood, and that's not wear, that's a sign of sanding which rounded the original sharp edge.

Last edited:
Both good looking revolvers. The 1851 Navy was probably cleaned a little too much taking off most, if not all, of the original finish but still a nice gun. I like the looks of the Savage. Hope you can get it disassembled without too much trouble. Thanks for showing.

The Savage grips look original; they have been sanded some to clean them up. You can see some rounding of the wood where there should be a sharp edge. The rounding at the bottom edges could be caused by wear, but the top edges are not sharp where they butt against the wood, and that's not wear, that's a sign of sanding which rounded the original sharp edge.
Why oh why do folks do that? Just leave it alone. Shame. What about that grip screw too, that don't look original to the gun?

Why oh why do folks do that? Just leave it alone. Shame. What about that grip screw too, that don't look original to the gun?
Edges, Edges, Edges are where you can often see whether an item is untouched, or has been polished or sanded.

But this is sort of like eating the Apple in the Garden of Eden - once you start looking carefully at Edges, you will find that you notice Edges even when you are not really trying to evaluate an item, just looking at it with interest and enjoyment.

My wife was a dental assistant decades ago and she still can't avoid noticing teeth, even though she is not trying to judge or evaluate!

Back