A friendly greeting from Europe ...

.... and asking for a little help :wink:

We are playing an online game in a german board and one of the riddles relates to the battle of Cheat Mountain.
After we found out, that the riddle deals with this battle, we found out that the battle lasts from 09/12/1861 to 09/15/1861, but the question is WHEN exactly there was the first contact of the two troups. As we found out, on 09/12 Rust approached the adverse party and Jackson reached Turnpike.
But did they realy met the adverse party on that day?
We would be very glad if you as experts could give us support regarding this question.
Best regards,
Gorgona

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Gorgona:

You can safely assume that hostilities commenced on the 12th. Battles are conventionally dated when the shooting starts, not when the maneuvering started.
Ole

gary

Captain
Welcome to the forum

Good reference books to have is Long's Civil War Day by Day, Faust's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Civil War and Boatner's Civil War Dictionary. All three (and Battle & Leaders and Annals of War) are in my bedroom where I have quick access to them.

Welcome, good to have some Europeans on this board.

Lived in Europe myself, Germany from 1972-75 and 77-79 (my Dad was a Civilian contractor working on computer systems) and the UK from 86-94 (by order of the USAF). Nice place.

Feel free to ask questions, you will get very good answers. :thumbsup:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!