Golden Thread A field officer a day for 9 months and 2 weeks

59) - A full size 'before & after'
View attachment 125573

View attachment 125574

Lieut. Col. Joseph B. Curtis, 4th R.I.
That's amazing. Beautiful job, Mike!

I keep wanting to thank you for doing all this, but I know that you do it because you love doing it. Still, I hope you know how grateful we all are. This collection you are making is a great treasure!

Nice to have a face to go with this: Battery DeGolyer at Vicksburg NMP:

dsc01680-jpg.jpg
Well, here ya go:
https://sites.google.com/site/suvcw43/samuel-degolyer
So it was indeed the same guy.

73)
View attachment 127356
Maj. Wilder Dwight, 2nd Mass. Inf.
Despite all the formal conventions of 1860s photography -- especially the having to sit still for so long -- it's amazing how much individual personality comes through in these.

And it also amazes me to reflect on the fact that many of these men (I don't know what percentage -- do you know, Mike?) were just ordinary civilians with no military experience before the war swept them up.

85)
View attachment 128509
Col. Francis Fessenden, 30th Maine Inf. His father, William, was a U.S. Senator and his brother, James, was a Civil War general.
And his father, William Fessenden, became Lincoln's Secretary of Treasury after Lincoln named the previous secretary, Salmon Chase, to be Supreme Court Justice.

86)
View attachment 128668
Maj. J.P. Finkelmeir, Asst. Adjt. Gen. (2nd Div. III Corps?)

John P. Finkelmeir, or Finkelmeier as he's written in the ORs, served as AAG of the Excelsior Brigade (2nd Div, III Corps) and later, when the III Corps was disscontinued, of the 3rd Div, II Corps.

93)
View attachment 130076
Maj. Edwin R. Goodrich (Commissary USV?)

Lt. Col. Goodrich was the Chief Commissary for Burnside and the IX Corps.

That's amazing. Beautiful job, Mike!

I keep wanting to thank you for doing all this, but I know that you do it because you love doing it. Still, I hope you know how grateful we all are. This collection you are making is a great treasure!
Thank you for the nice compliments!

Cool background.
Thee or four in this series with that background.

What's the story on this one, Mike?
The face looks photographic enough, but the rest of the picture does not, especially the hat.... ?
LOC says it's a glass plate. I think James N. answers your question in post #124.
Despite all the formal conventions of 1860s photography -- especially the having to sit still for so long -- it's amazing how much individual personality comes through in these.

And it also amazes me to reflect on the fact that many of these men (I don't know what percentage -- do you know, Mike?) were just ordinary civilians with no military experience before the war swept them up.
I don't what
The LoC is lucky to have you working on this, Mike!
I don't send them an Error Report Form without a link to a solid source.

John P. Finkelmeir, or Finkelmeier as he's written in the ORs, served as AAG of the Excelsior Brigade (2nd Div, III Corps) and later, when the III Corps was disscontinued, of the 3rd Div, II Corps.

Lt. Col. Goodrich was the Chief Commissary for Burnside and the IX Corps.
Thanks for the info! I'll update my photo captions.

interesting name - hagedorn is a rather common name in germay but i see no chance to americanize that to hagadorn

Well, it is. And there is every chance because butchering words is exactly that - it doesn´t have to make sense for the butchered party. As I just had it a few minutes ago - Helgoland becomes Heligoland ... what? Why? What?

Back