A few uniforms worn by Union soldiers at Bull Run

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Here are a few First Battle of Bull Run uniform descriptions from a book I am reading. The author is Harmon Camburn of the 2nd Michigan Infantry.

“As they march gaily forward with bands playing and banners flying the 1st Michigan appears in dark blue fatigue cap, jackets, and pantaloons, while the 3rd Michigan dress throughout in gray”

This seems to match most everything I have seen on the 1st and 3rd Michigan Infantry at the First Battle of Bull Run. The 2nd Regiment, of which the author was in, would have been dress like the 1st Michigan. To round out Michaign’s regiments, the 4th Michigan was said to wear uniforms of every color of the rainbow. They probably wore their original gray uniform mixed with blue and black items they had been issued just before the battle.

“Ellsworth’s Fire Zouaves wear red fatigue caps, braided with gold, Zouave jackets braided with yellow, cut away in front to expose an embroidered shirt front, orange sash, and buff leggings.”

I can more of less live with this description.

“Wilson’s Zouaves wore upon their head the Turkish fez with tassel and a white turban, Zouave jacket and shirt, scarlet sash around the waist, Turkish pants of red bagging at the knees, and white leggings.”

Again I am more or less in agreement.

“Hawking’s Zouaves wore felt hats with yellow cord, jackets dark brown corded with yellow and red pants.”

Again this uniform seems about right.

“Garibaldi Guards wore Garibaldi hats and jackets with dark blue pants.”

“The 69th Highlanders wore Scotish caps and Scotish plaid with kilts.”

"The Mozart Regiment wore felt hats and dark blue clothes trimmed with red cord."

This is the 40th New York Infantry and I would have to research thier uniforms.

This I have some doubts about the kilts. What do you think?

He goes on:

“The Hussars were dressed in light blue, the caps and clothing trimmed with white braid.”

Ok what Hussars were these? I am not sure I have seen this.

“There was also a regiment of riflemen dressed in green with frock coats.”

I will have to research this regiment as I am not sure who this regiment was. The book was written after the war from a brief diary and the veteran’s memory. Seeing some of the uniform discriptions are correct, should I believe all of them?

my book.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in this book they should contact Patricia Camburn Zick, Author/Editor/Publisher at [email protected].

I found this book about the 2nd Michigan very interesting so far. I paid $15 at a CWRT discussion she gave but do not know what she charges. I believe she lives in Florida some place.

Did they mean the 79th NY Highlanders?

Probably, but the book says the 69th Highlanders. It is possible the veteran made a mistake or the author/editor/publisher made a mistake or the printer made a mistake. The 69th New York Militia Regiment was at Bull run but it was an Irish regiment and almost certainly did not wear kilts.

Last edited:
From what I have read and seen, those descriptions would seem pretty good, but if it was the 79th New York, it could have been a mix of trews and kilts. I know people seem to think they wore them. Were they issued sky blue pants early on, or later. I thought the only Hussars were from New Jersey. I see there is listed a Sauer's Co. C Hussars 3rd New York Militia. Nothing other than that, just the 3rd NJ Cav. That does sound like an interesting book.

Many states would have had Hussar companies in their pre war militias. I do not know of any Hussar regiments in pre war militias. For example the Detroit left their fancy Hussar uniforms behind when the converted to infantry and volunteered for war.

Like I said, it is unknown how extensive the veteran's journal was and how much he remembered years later. But regardless of the limitations of his account it is great to have additional descriptions of the unifoms from some one who was there.

Back