A Different Kind of 1816 Bayonet?

MikeS0000

Private
Hi Folks -

I picked this one up a while ago, but a young fellow on his phone, running a red light put me out of commission for quite a while. Still more surgeries to go, and of course he had no insurance or anything else.

Well, regardless, this appears it was/is a Model 1816. But, the slot is on the wrong side and appears to be crudely done. The pics show it pretty well, but on the inside of the shank are the Roman Numerals "VIII" or "VIIII" (which of course is incorrect) and initials scratched into the top of the socket, "AR".

The diameter of the socket at the rear, front is bent, is .870" to .900" and the socket length is 3.250"s.

Any thoughts on this one would be appreciated!

Best regards,
- Mike

Bayo1.JPG

Bayo2.JPG

Bayo3.JPG

Bayo4.JPG

Bayo5.JPG

See also Figure 102 here.

'SM' w/o the 'CO' could also be an inspector's mark, full name to be determined.
See

Hi Gents!

Thanks very much. There is only the the "US/SM" and the blade length is 15-3/4"s and OAL is 18-3/4"s.

But me-thinks, that maybe the biggest difference is the 'placement of the mortise which is either backwards or upside down, or whichever you favor.

It seems it would be a bottom mount and then turn counter-clockwise to finish fixing it. Almost like an optical illusion when we're used to the standard 1816. I almost passed it by because of the condition of the socket, but it just didn't look correct!

The filed roman numerals and initials are hard to pick up, but will try a couple different techniques.

- Mike

Last edited:
If you can find it, Amazon, Barnes & Noble or inter-library loan, get a copy of Robert Reilly's book on socket bayonets. Excellent line drawings and lots of great info. Worth adding to your bookshelf! His other books on US muskets and rifles are also first rate. Steal 'em if ya has ta'!

Back