In the Field A Day Out With 1st OVLA, Battery A

A special thanks to Duwane Rezac & Kevin Harris who helped make this all possible; and also to everyone else in the unit who made this experience awesome!

So, I managed to link up with members of the Statehouse Battery this fourth, participating in the 125th Anniversary of the Cuyahoga County Soldiers’ & Sailors’ Monument in Cleveland.

CEEE599A-0656-4733-9290-70569522300D.jpeg

I arrived... a bit late around 9:15 in the morning just in time to help get the 12 lb Field Howitzer out of the truck. At the time I was expecting a smaller Mountain Howitzer would be what we were working on so I sutibly impressed!
8CEEF1CE-650F-4DC2-A72C-AB7DDA4C6F2E.jpeg

8383B0EA-7000-4807-9349-DC4724E87517.jpeg

We man handled the gun across the square, though getting through a rather narrow point between a bus stop was quite a task. We managed to get into position after some careful maneuvering, and then ran some unloaded drill in preparation of other demonstrations later in the day.

90BC575E-9371-4585-9DBF-FF8754415B39.jpeg

I was ably trained in the No 3 man position, which I took on because I had thumbstalled many years ago as part of a visitor participation portion of a presentation at Fort Mackinaw, so I was familiar with at least part of the job. Incidentally this brought up an interesting discussion among my battery mates about different regions practices in what positions people start out on. So, where do you start your fresh, green, fish?

653D9790-4EF3-4B36-90E6-8230DCADAF06.jpeg

Anyhow by the end of the day I thought I got the hang of it and overall I think I did well though prehaps my long suffering battery mates may disagree! Whatever the case, we ran two very good demonstrations, prior to the dedication ceremony and afterward respectively and also formed part of the as hoc color guard detachment in the ceremony (I believe that the actual flag was born by the 8th Ohio, we were part of the extra bodies representing the artillery, Navy ect. there.). I really enjoyed myself and the opportunity to work with Mr. Harris’ Model of 1841, 12 pdr Feild Howitzer (such a cool piece of ordnance!). It definitely ranks as one of my personal favorite moments in reenacting and general cool stuff I’ve done thus far!

Last edited:
@Western Reserve Volunteer ,

I have participated with the Ohio State House artillery boys in some of their State House encampments, great bunch of guys!

I particularly like when they fire their cannons in downtown, Columbus, Ohio! You should see the shockwave from the blasts shake and warp the many windows in the tall office buildings and the Neil House hotel there!

Great effect and always sure to draw an interested crowd!

Thanks for the great pictures and the relating of your experiences. I enjoyed it all very much.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Yeah, it would have been awesome if we had been able to actually fire off a round. But as it is, it was good for me to get some unloaded practice in first. I would honestly love it if we had a sister organization in Cleveland to Battery A, to commemorate the Cleveland Light Artillery. My dream would be to convince the Grays to resurrect it... I may actually do a presentation for them at some point when I finish putting together my early war kit.

Yeah, it would have been awesome if we had been able to actually fire off a round. But as it is, it was good for me to get some unloaded practice in first. I would honestly love it if we had a sister organization in Cleveland to Battery A, to commemorate the Cleveland Light Artillery. My dream would be to convince the Grays to resurrect it... I may actually do a presentation for them at some point when I finish putting together my early war kit.

It's a good dream.

I hope someday you will make it a reality.

Back