A couple of models

kevin klein

Private
One of my interests is the collodion photography process used in the 1850's to 1880's. I wanted to depict the Monitor and Virginia going at it so I made a model of each and photographed them. The albumen prints shown are CDV size. The details of other ships and distant shore where drawn on to the original fill plate print.

DSCN0519 - Edited.jpg

DSCN0521 - Edited.jpg

Last edited:
One of my interests is the collodion photography process used in the 1850's to 1880's. I wanted to depict the Monitor and Virginia going at it so I made a model of each and photographed them. The albumen prints shown are CDV size. The details of other ships and distant shore where drawn on to the original fill plate print.

View attachment 297820

View attachment 297821
Good, but both ships would be emitting clouds of coal smoke and if Monitor is meant to be firing, the gunsmoke would obscure the Virginia.

View attachment 297820

View attachment 297821
That reminds me of the infamous CSS Georgia photo hoax :smile:
Then there's always my admittedly clumsy attempt at a hoax:
https://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/the-monitor-at-westover-landing.82537/

1553017620003.png

And a belated welcome to the forums!

Back