A Confedetate Veteran's Letter

Johnny_Reb_1865

Sergeant
received_508831513495894.jpeg

This is the back of a photograph of 1st Sergeant William Anderson Porter of E Company 3rd Georgia Sharpshooter Battalion.

Can someone please help me transcribe it?

1st Sargeant  William Anderson Porter Co E 3rd Georgia Sharpshooter Battalion,.jpg

1st Sergeant William Anderson Porter of "E" Company 3rd Georgia Sharpshooter Battalion.

(He was also a member of Philips Legion Company "A" as a Private before being transferred.)

This is a very nice photo. My eye was immediately drawn to his sword and belt plate, which I am confident are from a fraternal organization. If anyone can positively identify them, I would like to know more about them. Thanks for posting this.

This is a very nice photo. My eye was immediately drawn to his sword and belt plate, which I am confident are from a fraternal organization. If anyone can positively identify them, I would like to know more about them. Thanks for posting this.
I know the coat could be bought out of the Confedetate veteran magazine so I would believe he was a member.

So far I have :

Manassas 1861 Appomattox 1865

Co E 3rd Ga Battalion

Wofford's Brigade
McLaw's Division
Longstreet's Corps
Army Of Northern Virginia.

The battle of____

After the chain of command, from what I can make out:

"The Battles (...?...) he was in

(on the left)
Manassas
South Mountain
B...?
Sharpsburg
Fredericksburg
Chancellorsville
Gettysburg
C...?
C...?
Knoxville

(on the right)
Wilderness
Spottsylvania
North Anna
Cold Harbor
Fort Gilmer
Fishers Hill
Petersburg
Appomattox

The blanks should be easy to fill in.

I believe that the sword and the belt buckle are that of a Knights Templar Masonic member.

Manassas.......Appomattox

Co E 3rd Ga Battalion

Woffords Brigade
McLaws Division
Longstreets Corps
Army Of Northern Va

The Batt ______ was in

[left column]
Manassas
South Mountain
Boonsboro Gap
Sharpsburg
Fredericksburg
Chancellorsville
Gettysburg
C____ (no idea)
C...? (I think this is Chattanooga)
Knoxville

[right column]
Wilderness
Spotsylvania
North Anna
Cold Harbor
Fort Gilmer
Fishers Hill
Petersburg
Appomattox

Very Truly Yours,
W. A. Porter

I believe that the sword and the belt buckle are that of a Knights Templar Masonic member.
That was my first thought, too, but I wasn't familiar enough with the style to know for sure. Knights of Columbus swords look very similar, too. I think the hilt and any symbols which might be on the grip would be the positive identifying features. Regardless, he's a very dignified gent with a service history filled with lots of action, and I bet he was a high ranking member of his fraternal organization.

That was my first thought, too, but I wasn't familiar enough with the style to know for sure. Knights of Columbus swords look very similar, too. I think the hilt and any symbols which might be on the grip would be the positive identifying features. Regardless, he's a very dignified gent with a service history filled with lots of action, and I bet he was a high ranking member of his fraternal organization.
The Knights of Columbus generally used the K of C insignia on their belt buckles. I don't think I've seen a K of C belt buckle with a red cross on it, though I wouldn't bet money that they never used it. The red Christian (Latin) cross was one of the most popular insignias found on Knight Templar belt buckles.

After the chain of command, from what I can make out:

"The Battles (...?...) he was in

(on the left)
Manassas
South Mountain
B...?
Sharpsburg
Fredericksburg
Chancellorsville
Gettysburg
C...?
C...?
Knoxville

(on the right)
Wilderness
Spottsylvania
North Anna
Cold Harbor
Fort Gilmer
Fishers Hill
Petersburg
Appomattox

The blanks should be easy to fill in.
The Battles [Bttn?] was in....below Gettysburg, I agree the word is Chickamauga. The next word starts with a C and after it is either Bridge or River. Or possibly Branch.

According to CWE, after Gettysburg, the 3rd Ga Bn was
SeptemberSent west with Longstreet to the Army of the Tennessee
September 18Captain William E. Simmonds was elected major.
September 18-20

Battle of Chickamauga​

The Battalion did not reach the battlefield in time to take part in the battle.
October 28-29

Wauhatchie​

November 15

Little River, Tennessee​

November 29

Battle of Knoxville​

1864:
January 16-17Operations around Dandridge, Tennessee
Mid-AprilMcLaw’s Division returned with the First Corps from Tennessee to the Eastern Theater. It was under Kershaw’s command while McLaws awaited the results of a court martial for his actions at Knoxville. McLaws was largely vindicated on May 4, but Lee requested that he be reassigned to avoid conflict with Longstreet.
May 5-6

Battle of the Wilderness

What "Ch..."(?) engagements might fit between Gbgh and Knxvlle?
1623945965927.png

Perhaps associated with the Wauhatchie or Little River fights.

Last edited:
According to CWE, after Gettysburg, the 3rd Ga Bn was
SeptemberSent west with Longstreet to the Army of the Tennessee
September 18Captain William E. Simmonds was elected major.
September 18-20

Battle of Chickamauga​

The Battalion did not reach the battlefield in time to take part in the battle.
October 28-29

Wauhatchie​

November 15

Little River, Tennessee​

November 29

Battle of Knoxville​

1864:
January 16-17Operations around Dandridge, Tennessee
Mid-AprilMcLaw’s Division returned with the First Corps from Tennessee to the Eastern Theater. It was under Kershaw’s command while McLaws awaited the results of a court martial for his actions at Knoxville. McLaws was largely vindicated on May 4, but Lee requested that he be reassigned to avoid conflict with Longstreet.
May 5-6

Battle of the Wilderness

What "Ch..."(?) engagements might fit between Gbgh and Knxvlle?
View attachment 405057
Perhaps associated with the Wauhatchie or Little River fights.
I think it says "Chickamauga" but that would be in error as Civil War In The East suggests.

Back