Golden Thread A Confederate officer a day for 10 Months

That's great - I've certainly never seen that one before!
I had done a study on the general a few years ago, and I had found this picture, which I then used for my work:
Immaginerobrtoson.jpg

Can you add photo of General Jerome Bonaparte Robertson, father of Felix. He was known as "Old Polly". He was born in Woodford County, Ky. in 1815. He has memorial on Find A Grave:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11065/jerome-bonaparte-robertson
I'll add that the general is for some reason named for Napoleon's youngest brother, Jerome, who was married off (like the rest of the Bonaparte clan) to a Bavarian princess and became the puppet King of Wurttemburg, then a separate Germanic kingdom that was part of his brother's Confederation of the Rhine. Napoleon was always pushing him forward, well beyond his capabilities or interest. During the 1812 invasion of Russia Jerome initially "commanded" a large segment of the army. After Napoleon's first abdication, Jerome retained his kingdom, but when Napoleon returned during the Hundred Days, Jerome was given command of a division which he led (poorly) at Waterloo and was subsequently removed from his throne in the wake of Napoleon's downfall.

During the regime of his nephew Louis-Napoleon or Napoleon III, Jerome was elevated (because of his status) to Marshal of the Empire, a position for which he was really unworthy. Jerome has an American connection; While stil a young man he was serving as an ensign in the French navy. His ship made port in Baltimore where he met and fell in love with a Baltimore belle, Betsy Balcombe, who he wed without securing Big Brother's permission. Unsurprisingly, Napoleon annulled the marriage and "bought" Betsy off although she continued to use the name Bonaparte and raised their son as a relative of the Emperor!

Last edited:
I'll add that the general is for some reason named for Napoleon's youngest brother, Jerome, who was married off (like the rest of the Bonaparte clan) to a Bavarian princess and became the puppet King of Wurttemburg, then a separate Germanic kingdom that was part of his brother's Confederation of the Rhine. Napoleon was always pushing him forward, well beyond his capabilities or interest. During the 1812 invasion of Russia Jerome initially "commanded" a large segment of the army. After Napoleon's first abdication, Jerome retained his kingdom, but when Napoleon returned during the Hundred Days, Jerome was given command of a division which he led (poorly) at Waterloo and was subsequently removed from his throne in the wake of Napoleon's downfall.

During the regime of his nephew Louis-Napoleon or Napoleon III, Jerome was elevated (because of his status) to Marshal of the Empire, a position for which he was really unworthy. Jerome has an American connection; While stil a young man he was serving as an ensign in the French navy. His ship made port in Baltimore where he met and fell in love with a Baltimore belle, Betsy Balcombe, who he wed without securing Big Brother's permission. Unsurprisingly, Napoleon annulled the marriage and "bought" Betsy off although she continued to use the name Bonaparte and raised their son as a relative of the Emperor!

Many apologies but you have your German kingdoms mixed up. He was created King of Westphalia, a kingdom created by Napoleon out of various smaller entities. He did however marry a Wurttemburg Princess. He also did not maintain control of Westphalia upon Napoleon's first abdication. Perhaps you are thinking of Murat who did (The Kingdom of Naples) and who lost it when he supported Napoleon again in the Hundred Days.

Many apologies but you have your German kingdoms mixed up. He was created King of Westphalia, a kingdom created by Napoleon out of various smaller entities. He did however marry a Wurttemburg Princess. He also did not maintain control of Westphalia upon Napoleon's first abdication. Perhaps you are thinking of Murat who did (The Kingdom of Naples) and who lost it when he supported Napoleon again in the Hundred Days.
Exactly! I was writing without notes concerning something I used to be very conversant with, but hadn't thought about in now several years - always a risky venture! I was thinking that Jerome's father-in-law had helped him retain his throne in 1814.

View attachment 194294
Gen. Daniel Ruggles - LOC
I hadn't commented before on Ruggles - I don't know much about him and his only major battle seems to have been Shiloh where he commanded a small two-brigade division in Braxton Bragg's Corps. He's best remembered for gathering all available Confederate artillery into what is still called Ruggles' Battery (a portion of which is below) to bombard the federal position in the Hornet's Nest, but according to what I've reads recently the credit for that should actually and logically go to the colonel commanding Bragg's artillery. Ruggles was one of the older Confederate generals, around sixty; maybe that had something to do with his disappearance from command after the "siege" of Corinth. Ruggles seems to have been aggressive enough, however - he commanded at one of the very few attempts made by Beauregard to try to thwart the Federal offensive against Corinth in the inconclusive Battle of Farmington. After Corinth I believe he held various administrative posts.

DSC06097.JPG

Last edited:

german not germanic (i also think it was westphalen)

does any of them has a burg (castle)? and how many a located on/close to a berg (big hill or small mountain)?
Good question. Pittsburg is at the confluence of three rivers. Harrisburg is on the Susquehanna River. Gettysburg Is in rolling farmland just east of the Allegheny mountains. Vicksburg is on the Mississippi. Lynchburg is in the Blue Ridge on the edge of the Shenandoah Valley. Martinsburg is in the West Virginia hills. They all are named after a person and have 'burg' attached.

Back