Golden Thread A Confederate officer a day for 10 Months

Mike Serpa

Major
I recently posted A field officer a day for 9 months and 2 weeks. A fellow CWTer asked if I would do a similar thread with Confederate officers. This is it! Mostly generals with some colonels. I don't much information with these photos. Only the name in most cases.

Source list:
ADA = Alabama Digital Archives
DUL = Duke University Libraries
HA = Heritage Auctions
KDL = Kentucky Digital Library
LOC = Library of Congress
NA = National Archives
VMI = Virginia Military Institute

I don't have a source with every photo.

AbercrombieRH.jpg

Colonel Robert Haden Abercrombie, 45th Alabama Infantry. - ADA

This may be more of a challenge for me due to the essentially non-regulation nature of most Confederate uniforms! I'll mention right off the bat that Confederate regulations called for short-skirted double-breasted frock coats for ALL members of the armed forces, both officer and enlisted, as depicted in the plate from the Atlas to Accompany the Official Records and as reproduced here in the Centennial-era Civil War Handbook:

Confederate Regulation Uniforms.jpg

Although all of these are officers except for the cavalry sergeant at bottom right, the drawings showing more enlisted men was really no different. As an aside, I'll mention that it has been observed that in many ways these appear to have been based largely on contemporary Austrian uniforms, from the cut of the tunics to the color - although the Austrian pearl-gray was so light it looked white - and they also used a somewhat similar system of stars-and-bars collar insignia to designate rank. Of course due to shortages and already-existing and often conflicting State uniform regulations, these were seldom what was seen in reality, so it will be interesting to see what naturally develops in this thread!

This may be more of a challenge for me due to the essentially non-regulation nature of most Confederate uniforms! I'll mention right off the bat that Confederate regulations called for short-skirted double-breasted frock coats for ALL members of the armed forces, both officer and enlisted, as depicted in the plate from the Atlas to Accompany the Official Records and as reproduced here in the Centennial-era Civil War Handbook:

View attachment 163918

Although all of these are officers except for the cavalry sergeant at bottom right, the drawings showing more enlisted men was really no different. As an aside, I'll mention that it has been observed that in many ways these appear to have been based largely on contemporary Austrian uniforms, from the cut of the tunics to the color - although the Austrian pearl-gray was so light it looked white - and they also used a somewhat similar system of stars-and-bars collar insignia to designate rank. Of course due to shortages and already-existing and often conflicting State uniform regulations, these were seldom what was seen in reality, so it will be interesting to see what naturally develops in this thread!
I look forward to your comments over the next several months.

... I'll mention right off the bat that Confederate regulations called for short-skirted double-breasted frock coats for ALL members of the armed forces...

You´ll not be able to tell from many pictures as they only show the upper body. However there are some with the short skirts being really short.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FdzY6h.jpg

Like e.g. this early war picture of Longstreet (taken from this thread).

As for the main thread @Mike Serpa; I´ve eagerly waited for those 8 months and 2 weeks of inspiration to begin!

You´ll not be able to tell from many pictures as they only show the upper body. However there are some with the short skirts being really short.

View attachment 163930

Like e.g. this early war picture of Longstreet (taken from this thread).

As for the main thread @Mike Serpa; I´ve eagerly waited for those 8 months and 2 weeks of inspiration to begin!
Don't expect quality photos. Many are CDVs with just headshots. Maybe someone here might see a new photo.

Here are two photos. The first one is unidentified. I don't have the source and could not find out who he is with a google photo search.
Unidentified_general.jpg
???

The next one is identified at the Library of Congress as 'Adams, C.S.A.' I've seen him listed as Daniel W. Adams and his brother William W. Adams.
07593u.png
Daniel or William?

Last edited:
Back