A Confederate Oath of Allegiance...May 27, 1865

Now that's cool! But me being of the hardheadedness and rebellious type, I'd probably say something to the effect of, "well sir, I'd gladly swear the oath, 'cept'n one thing. That there part 'bout slaves. Didn't own any, don' care ta own any, Don' pertain ta me." Course I'd probably been arrested, oh well, it's the principle of the thing! Lol

I'm not following. The oath says, in essence, that the person agrees not to own slaves. Why would someone who doesn't want to own slaves refuse to sign it? If someone did refuse, despite being a non-slaveholder, I'd take that to be a sign they were standing on principle with their fellow southern slaveowners and were refusing to admit defeat, but that's apparently not what you mean.

Great post! Thank you for sharing it with us.

His home is in Spotsylvania County. The property lies between all the battlefields. Can't imagine.
He was my husband's great Grandfather.

My Mothers family are Pritchetts also from Spotsylvania(Pritchett farm) as well as their current day residence on Pritchett Rd, just South of Spindle field. Very interesting! I've spent many, many hours on those fields and have numerous relics to this day. I have always been fascinated with that area and return there every chance I get.

I am, as you are, very anti-slavery and I agree there were other political issues, and as much as I am anti-slavery, I also have to recognize that at the time of the civil war, slavery was legal. I have never agreed with the idea of slavery but I did not live in that time era. Slavery unfortunately was the "life line" of the South.............

Respectfully,

William
You cannot be antislavery while supporting what the Confederates attempted to do. Slavery was a cornerstone of their reason for attempting to secede. Very obviously, it kept money in Southern pockets and strain off their backs; of course they wanted to keep it. That doesn't mean it was right or acceptable.

You cannot be antislavery while supporting what the Confederates attempted to do. Slavery was a cornerstone of their reason for attempting to secede. Very obviously, it kept money in Southern pockets and strain off their backs; of course they wanted to keep it. That doesn't mean it was right or acceptable.
I can see your point Marinegrunt, but; Slavery kept money in the hands of the wealthy at a huge cost in blood of the poor soldier. Many didn't have brogans to wear into combat etc. but they always seem to take the same ridicule as the planters, politicians and slavers. I can't see how someone who was starving, sick and barefoot would risk his life and watch as their friends died for a rich mans "need" to own another human being. It just doesn't make any sense. I support the common soldier for exactly that; being a soldier, both Northern and Southern, and for their dedication to their duties as such. Politicians make wars and poor men fight them. Nothings changed to date. Judging solely by your screen name I'm guessing you also know that to be true. So, in conclusion you're right about slavery being the cornerstone of secession in my opinion, but it wasn't by the hands of the dirt poor common soldier. I know you weren't replying to me but I thought you had a valid point only you seem to me to be failing to look at it from the grunts point of view, on the bottom of the pile, with the short end of the stick.

George Washington Estes Row, 6th Virginia Cavalry. 4 years of service. Oath administered by Captain D.E. Cronin (David Edward) of the 1st NY Mounted Rifles. He was a professional artist.

Seems it took him a while to take his oath and make his way home. His home is in Spotsylvania County. The property lies between all the battlefields. Can't imagine.
He was my husband's great Grandfather.

View attachment 69078

Text reads:
United States of America.
Office of the Provost Marshal
I ...... do solemnly swear, in presence of Almighty God, that I will henceforth faithfully support, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, and the Union of the States thereunder; and that I will, in like manner, abide by and faithfully support all acts of Congress passed during the existing rebellion with reference to slaves, so long and so far as not repealed, modified or held void by Congress, or by decision of the Supreme Court; and that I will, in like manner, abide by and faithfully support all proclamations of the President made during the existing rebellion having reference to slaves, so long and so far as not modified or declared void by decision of the Supreme Court: So help me God.
Is it just me, but that type face and the paper look to modern for that to be genuine, and the calligrpahy too clear to have been written 150 plus year ago.

I can see your point Marinegrunt, but; Slavery kept money in the hands of the wealthy at a huge cost in blood of the poor soldier. Many didn't have brogans to wear into combat etc. but they always seem to take the same ridicule as the planters, politicians and slavers. I can't see how someone who was starving, sick and barefoot would risk his life and watch as their friends died for a rich mans "need" to own another human being. It just doesn't make any sense. I support the common soldier for exactly that; being a soldier, both Northern and Southern, and for their dedication to their duties as such. Politicians make wars and poor men fight them. Nothings changed to date. Judging solely by your screen name I'm guessing you also know that to be true. So, in conclusion you're right about slavery being the cornerstone of secession in my opinion, but it wasn't by the hands of the dirt poor common soldier. I know you weren't replying to me but I thought you had a valid point only you seem to me to be failing to look at it from the grunts point of view, on the bottom of the pile, with the short end of the stick.
No, sir, that's not so. I have every respect for the Confederate grunt who bore the brunt of rich men's fight to preserve and expand slavery. Given the choice between having to take military action against my family, friends and home I'd have done the same thing. When I speak of who was wrong or at fault for the whole mess, I am always talking about the likes of Davis, Wigfall, Ruffin and any and all other such hotheads who thought the South should be a slave republic.

Is it just me, but that type face and the paper look to modern for that to be genuine, and the calligrpahy too clear to have been written 150 plus year ago.

I'm sure if it's been in her husband's ancestors trunk for 150 plus years, I seriously doubt it's authenticity.....

agian gentlemen, let's please stay on track here. I made a weak a** attempt at joking about my own attitude and it's been taken into a he said she said discussion. so let's knock off the slavery antislavery chit chat on this lady's topic and take it elsewhere. let's have some respect here. please.

No, sir, that's not so. I have every respect for the Confederate grunt who bore the brunt of rich men's fight to preserve and expand slavery. Given the choice between having to take military action against my family, friends and home I'd have done the same thing. When I speak of who was wrong or at fault for the whole mess, I am always talking about the likes of Davis, Wigfall, Ruffin and any and all other such hotheads who thought the South should be a slave republic.
Understood sir. I misunderstood your stance. Thank you for clearing that up.

I'm sure if it's been in her husband's ancestors trunk for 150 plus years, I seriously doubt it's authenticity.....

agian gentlemen, let's please stay on track here. I made a weak a** attempt at joking about my own attitude and it's been taken into a he said she said discussion. so let's knock off the slavery antislavery chit chat on this lady's topic and take it elsewhere. let's have some respect here. please.
Uh, no offense, but that's the moderator's job. Any discussion of this war or the paroles issued to its participants involves the issue of slavery. In fact, I find it interesting that some Rebels signed these paroles then went on to form the Klan and Jim Crow. It's fair game.

Understood sir. I misunderstood your stance. Thank you for clearing that up.
No problem. I live in NYC and I make it a point to put out Confederate battle flags on the graves of the few Rebels in Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn each Memorial Day. While I can't respect his cause, I certainly recognize the valor of a fellow American soldier.

My Mothers family are Pritchetts also from Spotsylvania(Pritchett farm) as well as their current day residence on Pritchett Rd, just South of Spindle field. Very interesting! I've spent many, many hours on those fields and have numerous relics to this day. I have always been fascinated with that area and return there every chance I get.

We have Prichetts in the family most definitely. Ours are related through the Kents. Cora Kent married Larkin Pritchett in 1906. Her sister Fannie is the daughter-law of George here. Very close relations. Nice to meet you!! I would love to hear more of your relics. So glad you have something from the family.

This discussion has been fascinating and I'm always interested to hear everyone's point of view. Sure I was a little worried there...but I knew it would all work out. There's no way we can apply our own experience and mentality to what our ancestors felt and did 150 years ago. (My humble opinion). We can only strive to understand and appreciate what drove them to act as they did; learn from what they tell us and move forward in our own lives with all the freedom, dignity and grace they provided to us by their sacrifice.
As a family historian, I'm always concerned for authenticity and source..and I can say without a doubt, this incredible piece is real. I will note, (and as a graphic designer) that of late, all things old/retro are in vogue again, and we are bombarded with cool retro type. So much so, that this piece looks fresh and current. This piece looks so good because it was stored in a natural state for so long. Not exposed to our harsh elements. GWE's signature is absolutely true. We have boxes of old invoices, bills and court statements with his writing and signature.
Thank you,
Deborah

William S "Billy" and Patsy Pritchett were my aunt and uncle. Always nice to meet could be extended family you never knew existed on the interwebz. :smile: I posted a bunch of pictures of a box of stuff I got off Southern Spindle and laurel hill.(family land) I'm looking for the thread now.

Cool. We'll have to take the family connections off thread. Contact me any time. My cousin Pat is the keeper these days of all things relative!!.

This discussion has been fascinating and I'm always interested to hear everyone's point of view. Sure I was a little worried there...but I knew it would all work out. There's no way we can apply our own experience and mentality to what our ancestors felt and did 150 years ago. (My humble opinion). We can only strive to understand and appreciate what drove them to act as they did; learn from what they tell us and move forward in our own lives with all the freedom, dignity and grace they provided to us by their sacrifice.
As a family historian, I'm always concerned for authenticity and source..and I can say without a doubt, this incredible piece is real. I will note, (and as a graphic designer) that of late, all things old/retro are in vogue again, and we are bombarded with cool retro type. So much so, that this piece looks fresh and current. This piece looks so good because it was stored in a natural state for so long. Not exposed to our harsh elements. GWE's signature is absolutely true. We have boxes of old invoices, bills and court statements with his writing and signature.
Thank you,
Deborah
Thank you Deborah, as you may know, I'm researching the CS Ironclads, and have become very wary of "original documents" either illustrated or quoted which turn out to be nothing of the sort, but have led to "received wisdom". I'm sure you have seen the thread about the photograph of CSS Georgia. I'm very pleased indeed that you have an authenticated document from the era with a family connection.
May I say that your first paragraph expresses clearly my own feelings and opinions

My best wishes,

John.

Uh, no offense, but that's the moderator's job. Any discussion of this war or the paroles issued to its participants involves the issue of slavery. In fact, I find it interesting that some Rebels signed these paroles then went on to form the Klan and Jim Crow. It's fair game.
I'm not at all a "Lost Cause(r)", nor do I believe in slavery, or support it, as you have accused me of in the recent past. But must you pounce on every chance you get to bring it up? Why not just appreciate and enjoy this great find? :whistling:

Back