"A Composite People:" New York on the Eve of War

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
The Albany Evening Journal of 17 November 1857, offers the following analysis of the population of the Empire State, based on the 1855 state census. Statistics of nativity, religion, and occupation, reveal to us a truly "Composite People" on the eve of the Cataclysm.
1635875439702.png

I love “bird cage makers.” I had to keep rereading “Bar Keepers.” I thought it was saying “Liar Keepers” and wondered what that could possibly be. When it came out “Bar Keepers” I realized it was the same thing!:cool:

Surprised about Church attendance too. Interesting article.
New York has always been among the most cosmopolitan of American states. After it was taken over by the British back in colonial times, there really was no established church (although there was a prevailing church). Without any regulations, as in Massachusetts and Virginia, about requiring church attendance, I suspect that strict attendance just never was a tradition.

The Albany Evening Journal was a leading Whig and then Republican newspaper owned by Thurlow Weed. Because of that, there may have been some anti-Catholic sentiment which may have omitted Catholic Mass attendance. But that is just speculation, however.

Ryan

Back