A Column of Cavalry

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
An image taken by Matthew Brady in 1862 of a Federal cavalry column alongside the Rappahannock River. Note the pontoon bridge in the background.

fedcav.jpg

Thanks; great picture. I believe this area is heavily wooded today, on both sides. What accounts for the absence of trees back then - farming or maybe the wear and tear by the armies that marched back and forth in this area?

All of the above. And you're quite right about the area being heavily wooded on both sides of the river, although less so on the Culpeper side.

I note a number of horsemen appear to be leaning forward in the saddle. Does this suggest obtaining relief from saddle soreness?
They may be rising in their stirrups to relieve their horses' backs. I'm not up on what techniques were taught at the time, or what cavalry protocol was, but I can say from modern experience, that sitting still for long periods of time is harder on the horse's back than long distances traveled while riding the rising/posting trot. And it looks like they are standing still, not moving.

They may be rising in their stirrups to relieve their horses' backs. I'm not up on what techniques were taught at the time, or what cavalry protocol was, but I can say from modern experience, that sitting still for long periods of time is harder on the horse's back than long distances traveled while riding the rising/posting trot. And it looks like they are standing still, not moving.
That makes the photo all that much more precious showing life in the army unposed.

An image taken by Matthew Brady in 1862 of a Federal cavalry column alongside the Rappahannock River. Note the pontoon bridge in the background.

View attachment 93986

Missed this from 2016. One of my favorite images, knew it had to be here somewhere! Pontoons and cavalry, what's not to love?

I note a number of horsemen appear to be leaning forward in the saddle. Does this suggest obtaining relief from saddle soreness?

I'm not sure when McClellan saddles were put into use. When I was a kid remember seeing them and all I can say is you'd have to think troopers did this frequently. Idea seems to have been keeping men awake- those things are instruments of torture.

Back