Discussion A Collection of Confederate flag proposals I've discovered over the years (Warning: Monster post!)

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Flag Guy

Private
I believe the Crescent moon was originally a South Carolinian symbol, after the "Fort Moultrie flag" of 1775, following which it became popular through-out the South, not all flag proposals featuring Crescent moons were submitted from South Carolina.
The crescent ws dominant in South Carolina but was also used on the Coat of Arms for Missouri which is why the 1863-1863 Van Dorn pattern battle flags had that on them.

Flag Guy

Private
As a correction to the sheet above showing a number of propsoed CS flags, Nicola Marshcall did NOT design the Confederate First National flag. It was designed by the Committee on Flag and Seal according to its chairman, William Porcher Miles. The master book of letters and drawings for these flags is in the National Archives and you cannot find Marschall's name in that with a search warrant!

Flag Guy

Private
As a correction to the sheet above showing a number of propsoed CS flags, Nicola Marshcall did NOT design the Confederate First National flag. It was designed by the Committee on Flag and Seal according to its chairman, William Porcher Miles. The master book of letters and drawings for these flags is in the National Archives and you cannot find Marschall's name in that with a search warrant!
The claim of Marschall, along with the claim of Orren Randolph Smith, is post-war and both are pure rubbish.

confederateproposed6.png

Ignore the similar-looking flag in the previous post above, that's a flag I created for a fictional nation of mine, and I can't delete or edit the post now, this is the actual Confederate First National Flag proposal I intended to include
confederateproposal7.png

Last edited: