A Collection of Confederate flag proposals I've discovered over the years (Warning: Monster post!)

This is a collection of Confederate national flag proposals, of which many will be almost entirely forgotten. If you want any identifying, I'll try my best, a number of these flags were submitted anonymously, and thus we know nothing about them other than the date they were submitted.
Confederateproposed1.png

confederateproposal18621.png

confederateproposalabonand.jpg

confederateproposalAbonand2.png

Confederateproposed2.png

confederateproposed3.png

csaproposal2.png

confederateproposed4.png

CSAproposal3.png

csaproposalrecreation.png

confederate_proposed_1861.png

Proposed2.png

Proposed2stars.png

proposed3.png

confederateproposalsamuelwhite.png

confederateproposed3seven.png

confederateproposalwest2.jpg

confederateproposalwest3.png

confederateproposalwest4.png

confederateproposalwest5.png

confederateproposalwest6.png

confederateproposalwest8.png

confederateproposalwest10.png

confederateproposalanonymous1.jpg

confederateproposalanonymous2.png

confederateproposalanonymous3.jpg

confederateproposalanonymous4.png

confederateproposalanonymous5.jpg

confederateproposalanonymous6.png

confederateproposalhamiltoncoupes1stfeb1861.jpg

confederateproposalLPHonour.jpg

confederateproposalLPHonour2.png

RobertGilchristflag.png

juliabonetheau.png

confederateproposals1862.jpg

confederateproposalwest1.png

confederateproposalwest7.png

Last edited:

Flag Guy

Private
I believe the Crescent moon was originally a South Carolinian symbol, after the "Fort Moultrie flag" of 1775, following which it became popular through-out the South, not all flag proposals featuring Crescent moons were submitted from South Carolina.

The crescent ws dominant in South Carolina but was also used on the Coat of Arms for Missouri which is why the 1863-1863 Van Dorn pattern battle flags had that on them.

Flag Guy

Private
As a correction to the sheet above showing a number of propsoed CS flags, Nicola Marshcall did NOT design the Confederate First National flag. It was designed by the Committee on Flag and Seal according to its chairman, William Porcher Miles. The master book of letters and drawings for these flags is in the National Archives and you cannot find Marschall's name in that with a search warrant!

Flag Guy

Private
As a correction to the sheet above showing a number of propsoed CS flags, Nicola Marshcall did NOT design the Confederate First National flag. It was designed by the Committee on Flag and Seal according to its chairman, William Porcher Miles. The master book of letters and drawings for these flags is in the National Archives and you cannot find Marschall's name in that with a search warrant!

The claim of Marschall, along with the claim of Orren Randolph Smith, is post-war and both are pure rubbish.

confederateproposed6.png

Ignore the similar-looking flag in the previous post above, that's a flag I created for a fictional nation of mine, and I can't delete or edit the post now, this is the actual Confederate First National Flag proposal I intended to include
confederateproposal7.png

Last edited:
Here are two new ones, these two were from the series of First National flag proposals submitted by P. J. Anderson of Montgomery, Alabama.

ConfederateproposalP.J.Anderson1.png

ConfederateproposalP.J.Anderson2.png

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
What is the symbolism of the crescent moon on several of them?
I believe the Crescent moon was originally a South Carolinian symbol, after the "Fort Moultrie flag" of 1775, following which it became popular through-out the South, not all flag proposals featuring Crescent moons were submitted from South Carolina.
I seem to remember that the crescent moon (surrounding a single star) had been used as an antebellum symbol and worn as a badge by the fillibustering Knights of the Golden Circle who advocated or actively sought to annex Cuba as another slave state in the 1850's

Two more that I have recreated.
This first one was a variant of the previous proposal I submitted by P. J. Anderson
ConfederateproposalP.J.Anderson1variant.png

This particular flag proposal was submitted by someone named John G. Gaines, I'm not sure where Gaines came from
confederateproposaljohnggaines.png