A Civil War Family Story from Early Grove, Mississippi

I hope this forum is appropriate to post a family story. If not, my apologies.

My GGGrandfather, Andrew Baird Conley was out riding with his neighbor Dr. Isham Bailey in Early Grove, Mississippi during the early spring of 1865. As my Grandfather liked to tell it (who know doubt heard it from his family), as they were riding "3 Yankees came upon 'em and demanded their valuables." Many families buried their valuables during the war and the men refused to tell the Yankees. "So" as Grandfather continued, "the Yankees began to string them up on a tall tree. Just as the noose was put around my GGGrandfather's neck, Dr. Bailey's daughter, who had been watching from a window in the house, took a Colt 45, shot and killed one of the Yankees. The others ran off."

In thanksgiving for saving his life, Andrew vowed to name his next child after Dr. Bailey's daughter. As luck would have it, his 12th child, a boy, was on the way. He named him Bailey in late 1865. Every generation since my family has had a Bailey -- my GGrandfather, Grandfather, Dad, Brother and Nephew. Of course, we started instilling early in our nephews, the only members of their generation, the importance of carrying on the name.

Recently, my family, including 2 generations of Baileys, travelled to northern Mississippi to Early Grove. Dr. Bailey's house still stands. We found a tall tree within sight of the windows of the house and, just like in the Subaru commercial, the family hugged the tree together. It made for a great photo.

Thank you for allowing me to share some sacred family history!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
I think you're in the right place and thank you for posting your family story. While the Colt was probably not a .45, everything else sounds perfectly plausible. One of my Confederate ancestors was from Bolivar County and he died in 1875 or so, possibly by suicide. So, I am always interested in stories like yours to understand the world he lived in and its effect on him and his family.

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Dr. Bailey's house still stands.
Thanks for sharing your family story @Mr Cardinal I enjoyed reading it! I found the application for the the house to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places and thought you might find the application of interest.

NARRATIVE STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE
The Dr. Isham G. Bailey House is being nominated under Criteria C in the area of architecture as a significant example of a fine, rural Greek Revival farm house that has notable qualities of design, detailing and proportion, developed in two phases in ca. 1842 and ca. 1855. Both building phases in evidence in this property are distinctive in the extraordinary character of their design and materials, as executed by an unknown builder or builders. The Bailey House compares well with any of its known contemporaries in important regional trade centers of Holly Springs and Oxford, Mississippi, and LaGrange, Bolivar and Memphis, Tennessee. That this home was constructed in a rural area well-removed from these trade centers makes it even more remarkable. https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/nom/prop/23139.pdf
1554866535297.png

1554866663468.png

1554866619297.png

The application includes a total of 21 photographs of the property, including some interior views.
1554867052287.png

Is the the same Early Grove, in extreme North Mississippi . . . along the Tennessee State line ?
Yes. It is located just across the state line from Moscow, TN. Link to location info. http://landmarkhunter.com/143889-dr-isham-bailey-house/

Vicksburger

First Sergeant
I hope this forum is appropriate to post a family story. If not, my apologies.

My GGGrandfather, Andrew Baird Conley was out riding with his neighbor Dr. Isham Bailey in Early Grove, Mississippi during the early spring of 1865. As my Grandfather liked to tell it (who know doubt heard it from his family), as they were riding "3 Yankees came upon 'em and demanded their valuables." Many families buried their valuables during the war and the men refused to tell the Yankees. "So" as Grandfather continued, "the Yankees began to string them up on a tall tree. Just as the noose was put around my GGGrandfather's neck, Dr. Bailey's daughter, who had been watching from a window in the house, took a Colt 45, shot and killed one of the Yankees. The others ran off."

In thanksgiving for saving his life, Andrew vowed to name his next child after Dr. Bailey's daughter. As luck would have it, his 12th child, a boy, was on the way. He named him Bailey in late 1865. Every generation since my family has had a Bailey -- my GGrandfather, Grandfather, Dad, Brother and Nephew. Of course, we started instilling early in our nephews, the only members of their generation, the importance of carrying on the name.

Recently, my family, including 2 generations of Baileys, travelled to northern Mississippi to Early Grove. Dr. Bailey's house still stands. We found a tall tree within sight of the windows of the house and, just like in the Subaru commercial, the family hugged the tree together. It made for a great photo.

Thank you for allowing me to share some sacred family history!
And who knew the little girl's son would grow up to be...Clint Eastwood!

Thanks for sharing your family story @Mr Cardinal I enjoyed reading it! I found the application for the the house to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places and thought you might find the application of interest.

NARRATIVE STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE
The Dr. Isham G. Bailey House is being nominated under Criteria C in the area of architecture as a significant example of a fine, rural Greek Revival farm house that has notable qualities of design, detailing and proportion, developed in two phases in ca. 1842 and ca. 1855. Both building phases in evidence in this property are distinctive in the extraordinary character of their design and materials, as executed by an unknown builder or builders. The Bailey House compares well with any of its known contemporaries in important regional trade centers of Holly Springs and Oxford, Mississippi, and LaGrange, Bolivar and Memphis, Tennessee. That this home was constructed in a rural area well-removed from these trade centers makes it even more remarkable. https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/nom/prop/23139.pdf
View attachment 301847
View attachment 301849
View attachment 301848
The application includes a total of 21 photographs of the property, including some interior views.
View attachment 301850

Yes. It is located just across the state line from Moscow, TN. Link to location info. http://landmarkhunter.com/143889-dr-isham-bailey-house/
Thank you so much! I'd seen the text application and the floor plan, but had not see the interior photos. Sadly, when we were there the owner of the home wasn't so we weren't able to go in.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)