A 24 Pdr. Field Howitzer is Now on Display at the Starkville Civil War Arsenal

I am very proud and privileged to be able to display this N. P. Ames 1841 model 24 Pdr. Field Howitzer. It is on display along side an original 24 Pdr. Howitzer Limber Chest. Inside the chest are examples of the three different types of ammunition used by the Howitzer.

For more information on the 24 Pdr. go to StarkvilleCivilWarArsenal.com and look at Featured Items.

0.jpg

Congratulstions Duffy! I was just looking at the 24 pounder howitzers at Shiloh NMP 2 weeks ago!
I hope to visit soon with my grandchildren.
Regards
David

After reading this post, and looking at the photo of that beautiful Field Howitzer, I immediately went to the Starkville Civil War Arsenal website. What an amazing place and what a fabulous collection. So Impressive.

During my initial readings surrounding details of the battle at Gettysburg I was drawn to those under the command of Major General John Buford. One gentleman in particular was the commander of a battery of long-range 3-inch Ordnance Rifles. I payed tribute to him with the avatar.

A7217D53-C5C9-4086-BA11-A09A34FD250C.jpeg

Last edited:
After reading this post, and looking at the photo of that beautiful Field Howitzer, I immediately went to the Starkville Civil War Arsenal website. What an amazing place and what a fabulous collection. So Impressive.

During my initial readings surrounding details of the battle at Gettysburg I was drawn to those under the command of Major General John Buford. One gentleman in particular was the commander of a battery of long-range 3-inch Ordnance Rifles. I payed tribute to him with the avatar.

View attachment 409960
Thank you for your kind words about the Starkville Civil War Arsenal. I hope you can plan a visit to the museum in person someday. If you do make plans to visit, make sure you schedule some time to see the U. S. Grant Presidential Library on the Mississippi State University campus which is also in Starkville, MS.

Duffy

Now you got a tube to go with that ammunition chest! :D
Yes, I do and now I want to share both of them with those who have a passion for the Field Artillery of the American Civil War. All anyone has to do is go to the website StarkvilleCivilWarArsenal.com and get the phone number. Then call me and make an appointment to come visit the museum and view these two pieces of American History.

Back