9th Indiana Battery of Light Artillery at Shiloh

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
The 9th Indiana Battery of Light Artillery was part of General Lew Wallace’s Third Division and was engaged on the Monday, April 7, 1862.

The unit was organized in Indianapolis and mustered into service on December 20,1861 under the command of Captain Noah S. Thompson and sent to Crump’s Landing disembarking on March 31st. The story of Wallace’s tortuous march to battle on Sunday, April 6th is well known and the 9th Indiana Battery left Stoney Lonesome at noon and reached Grant’s right flank that evening. Being positioned by 11 pm the battery awaited daylight for resumption of the fight.

The unit was armed with 4 6-pounder smoothbores and 2 12-pounder howitzers and during the battle it fired 1,152 rounds, lost 1 KIA 5 WIA and 5 horses. The battery was under the command of First Lieutenant George R. Brown which received recognition by General Wallace in his Official Report.
Regards
David
1555801313023.png

(front of monument)
9th
BATTERY,
THOMPSON'S,
(Not Brigaded)
3d DIVISION--Maj. Gen. LEWIS WALLACE--
ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE.
INDIANA.
(back of monument)
9th BATTERY, THOMPSON'S,
Commanded by
1st Lieut. GEORGE R. BROWN.
April 6, 1862, this battery left Stony Lonesome at 12 m., by Shunpike road; countermarching at a point near Clear Creek, it reached the battlefield, via Savannah road, at 7.30 p.m. From this position, April 7th, 5.30 a.m., it opened battle with first shot of the day. In Jones' field, near Oglesby headquarters, after 1,100 rounds fired by the battery, ammunition being ex- hausted, it retired, by General Lewis Wallace's orders. ì Casualties--killed, 1 man; wounded, 5 men; total, 6.

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Here are excerpts from Lew Wallace's Official Report regrading the 9th Indiana Battery referring to Thompson's Battery. Lieutenant Brown failed to file an after action report so we are left with Wallace's report and that of Colonel Thayer.
Regards
David

(Page 170)
Reports of Maj. Gen. Lewis Wallace, U. S. Army, commanding Third Division, with communications in reference thereto.
Hdqrs. Third Division, United States Forces,
Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., April 12, 1862.
(Page 171)
The enemy’s left had rested upon the bluff, and, as it had been driven back, that flank was now exposed. I resolved to attempt to re-turn it. For that purpose it became necessary for me to change front by a left half-wheel of the whole division.
While this movement was in progress, across a road through the woods at the southern end of the field we were resting by, I discovered a heavy column of rebels going rapidly to re-enforce their left, which was still retiring, covered by skirmishers, with whom mine were engaged. Thompson’s battery was ordered up, and shelled the passing column with excellent effect; but while he was so engaged he was opened on by a full battery, planted in the field just beyond the strip of wood on the right. He promptly turned his guns at the new enemy.
A fine artillery duel ensued, very honorable to Thompson and his company. His ammunition giving out in the midst of it, I ordered him to retire and Lieutenant Thurber to take his place.

(Page 193)
Report of Col. John M. Thayer, First Nebraska Infantry, commanding
Second Brigade.
Headquarters Second Brigade, Third Division, Army in the Field, Pittsburg, Tenu., April 10,1862.
Capt. Noah S. Thompson, of the Ninth Battery Indiana Light Artillery, having come up in the night and placed his battery in position in the open field in front, at daylight on the morning of title 7th
I moved the First Nebraska, Lieutenant-Colonel McCord, forward, so that its left rested on the battery. I then placed the Twenty-third Indiana, Col. W. L. Sanderson, on the right of the First Nebraska, having the Fifty-eighth Ohio, Colonel Bausenwein, immediately in the rear of the two.
While is this position Thompson’s battery opened fire upon a battery of the enemy, discovered upon the hill directly in front. Having silenced it, I received orders from General Wallace in person to advance en Echelon.
I did so across the deep ravine and up the steep declivity where the rebel guns had been planted, keeping Captain Baumer and his company of the First Nebraska as skirmishers in advance, which movement was executed in good order. Here the general directed a change of front of his division, which was executed by a left wheel of the whole line. Advancing in line a short distance, we were soon under a heavy fire of the enemy’s guns, both artillery and infantry. Moving forward we emerged from the timber into a small, cleared field, where Captain Thompson, having moved forward, also planted his battery. I then moved the brigade by the right flank nearly half a mile into the timber again...
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924077730160;view=1up;seq=418

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!