96th Pa. Marshy Plum Run Area

Rothermel

Private
I have always thought it interesting that the sculptor of the monument took the time to chisel out the footprint in the mud. And I had to look up why he did that. It was stated that the veterans all remembered the wet marshy ground of that area they held on July2-5th north of the Wheatfield rd.
...still is a muddy area.

96th is 6th Corps. The monument behind is the 95th pa.

20201014_144343.jpg

20201014_144257.jpg

I do like the monument, probably one of my favorites on the field.
20201014_144353.jpg

Bonus trivia about Capt. Haas of the 96th Pa. After being mustered out in 1865, he was mistaken 3 times for John Wilkes Booth in the days after the assassination. He was travelling by train to western Pa. and was detained 3 times.

the 95th pa monument 100yds east. This whole are around the John Weikert farm is just stacked with 6th corps regiments. Walking the ground really makes you appreciate the events on July2 and 3. In my opinion once the 6th arrived on the field it was game over for this portion of the field. Regiments stacked like cordwood in reserve. The Munshower Hill area was heavily manned.

20201014_144059.jpg

I am always amazed by the detail that stone carvers are able to achieve. In the photo with the footprint, notice the hem around the edge of the pant leg and a small rip just getting started on the inseam. On the photo showing the front of the soldier's face, notice the detail of the buckle on the front of the hat, and the way the 6th Corps badge has a different texture than the flat of the top of the hat. Thanks for providing these photos and letting us see some monuments that don't often get attention.

Back