Trivia 9-6-19 & Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Many combatants had premonitions of death before battles. Who, that fell at Shiloh, wrote, "if I do, it shall be in a manner that the old family shall feel proud of it."?

credit: @hughes

Bonus:
“If I save this army now, I tell you plainly that I owe no thanks to you or to any other persons in Washington. You have done your best to sacrifice this army.”
The recipient didn't receive these two sentences until more than a year later. What happened to these two sentences?

credit: @luinrina

Colonel Everett Peabody 25th Missouri Infantry.

Bonus.
Written in a telegram from George McClellan to Secretary Stanton
" Unfortunately for the Union cause, the head of the War Departments telegraphic office was so shocked by the last two sentences that he deleted them before forwarding the telegram to Stanton. That action was a great disservice to both Stanton and Lincoln because it deprived them of knowledge of McClellan's accusation against them"

Source: McClellan and Failure: A Study of Civil War Fear, Incompetence and Worse. by Edward H. Bonekemper

Bonus question:

These two sentences come from a telegram George McClellan had written to Secretary of War Stanton. They were deleted by a shocked Edward S. Sanford, head of the War Department's telegraph office, before he forwarded the telegram

1567770737595.png

Source

1567771465634.png

Source

And of course we have a thread about these infamous two sentences:

https://books.google.de/books?id=6b...done your best to sacrifice this army&f=false

Question
That would be: Colonel Everett Peabody
http://fieryordeal.blogspot.com/2012/03/battle-of-shiloh-begins-fraley-field.html

Bonus
I have found several sources that state the recipients were President Abraham Lincoln and Secretary of War Edward Stanton
When the telegraph operator received this message from General George McClellan, he according to my source - “deemed the last line to be so inflammatory that he struck it from the version that went to Lincoln, although the original was preserved”.
The Mysterious Private Thompson: The Double Life of Sarah Emma Edmonds Civil War Soldier, by Laura Leedy Gansler, page 121.

This source only claims the recipient to be Secretary of War Edward Stanton, but agrees that the inflammatory portion was deleted.
https://www.historyonthenet.com/seven-days-battle-25-june-to-1-july-1862

This sources also mentions Edwin Stanton as the recipient and that the telegraph operator was in the War Department.
McClellan and Failure: A Study of Civil War Fear, Incompetence and Worse, by Edward H. Bonekemper, III, page 89.

I find more sources that state that this was sent to Edwin Stanton as my last source writes - - -
“The defeat had come by so narrow a margin, McClellan bitterly informed the secretary of war, that he bore no responsibility for defeat, because “the Government has not sustained this army,” and, with a j’accuse almost unique in American military history, concluded, “If I save this army now, I tell you plainly that I owe no thanks to you or to any other persons in Washington. You have done your best to sacrifice this army.”
https://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jala/2629860.0038.205/--lincoln-mcclellan-relationship-in-myth-and-memory?rgn=main;view=fulltext

So I will say Edwin Stanton was the recipient with the full knowledge that President Lincoln would also view the telegram & the offensive statements were censored by a telegraph operator in the War Department, but were preserved for the record.

Many combatants had premonitions of death before battles. Who, that fell at Shiloh, wrote, "if I do, it shall be in a manner that the old family shall feel proud of it."?

credit: @hughes
Everett Peabody, Colonel, 13th Missouri Infantry in an August 27, 1861, letter. Peabody, as a member of the 25th Missouri Infantry, was killed at Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee, April 6, 1862.
<Thomas Higginson, Editor, Harvard Memorial Biographies. (Bedford, MA: Applewood Books, 1866), p. 171.>

Bonus:
“If I save this army now, I tell you plainly that I owe no thanks to you or to any other persons in Washington. You have done your best to sacrifice this army.”
The recipient didn't receive these two sentences until more than a year later. What happened to these two sentences?

credit: @luinrina
Shocked by George McClellan's remarks, the head of the War Department's telegraph office deleted them before forwarding the message to Secretary Stanton.
<Edward Bonekemper,
McClellan and Failure: A Study of Civil War Fear, Incompetence and Worse. (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Co., 2007), p. 89.>

1. Everett Peabody

2. They were deleted by the head of the telegraph office, who was shocked at what McClellan said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back