Trivia 9-5-19 Who Am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Following graduation from West Point, I served in the Army in garrison duty. I left to become successful in the railroad business. When the war began, I had been out of the army for some time; that and my lack of combat experience, made it difficult to get a command. When I finally did I served with distinction: many believe my action won a well-known battle, though I was not given much immediate credit. One of my sons graduated from Annapolis and during the war briefly commanded a very well known ship.
Who am I?

credit: @WJC

Deviously tricky question. I am going with George Sears Greene.

West Point grad, check. Army garrison, check. Railroad, check. Fought Civil War, check. Age decrimination on command, check. Son Samuel Dana Greene Annapolis grad, check. Son temp commander of USS Monitor, check. Action won Gettysburg, semi check. His engineering skills played huge dividends on Culp's Hill, I will leave that alone. Close enough of a check.

Initial searches came up short. Thankfully, his son served on the USS Monitor which was the first famous ship to come to mind. I looked through Monitor commanders and saw Samuel and that glorious last name Greene. Thought to myself, it couldn't be. But it was.

Sources are the respective wiki pages for George and Samuel. Got lucky on this one.

Soooo I am a little unsure about the direction of the question but I’ll give it a shot.

George Sears Greene
  • Graduated 2nd in his class at West Point in 1823
  • In Antebellum America, Greene served in the Army doing Garrison Duty when his wife and all 3 children died of Tuberculosis.
  • He resigned from his army position in 1836 to become a civil engineer and helped build railroads and built water systems in six states. During this time he remarried and had 6 children.
  • Greene rejoined the army at the onset of the Civil War and was one of the oldest commander on either side at 60 years old.
  • Greene commanded the lone brigade during the defense of Culp's Hill at Gettysburg on July 2nd & 3rd.
  • George's son Samuel Greene graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1855 and was executive officer aboard the Monitor and fought at Hampton Roads against the CSS Virginia.

Soooo I am a little unsure about the direction of the question but I’ll give it a shot.

George Sears Greene
  • Graduated 2nd in his class at West Point in 1823
  • In Antebellum America, Greene served in the Army doing Garrison Duty when his wife and all 3 children died of Tuberculosis.
  • He resigned from his army position in 1836 to become a civil engineer and helped build railroads and built water systems in six states. During this time he remarried and had 6 children.
  • Greene rejoined the army at the onset of the Civil War and was one of the oldest commander on either side at 60 years old.
  • Greene commanded the lone brigade during the defense of Culp's Hill at Gettysburg on July 2nd & 3rd.
  • George's son Samuel Greene graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1855 and was executive officer aboard the Monitor and fought at Hampton Roads against the CSS Virginia.
Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back