Trivia 9-25-2020 Foursome & Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Mid-morning, April 6, 1862, Pittsburgh Landing, Tennessee, near the Shiloh Church ...... As Confederate battle lines emerged from the woods, the Colonel of a green Ohio regiment in their path yelled out in panic, " Retreat! Save yourselves!". The regiment followed the Colonel in flight to the rear. Two companies that were separated from the rest of the regiment by a ravine didn't hear the retreat order and remained in their position.

The two companies of rookies were about to crack as an Illinois regiment began to fall in beside them. A private in the Illinois outfit, a veteran of Fort Donelson and known for his coolness under fire, was dispatched to do what he could to calm the shaken rookies down. He circulated among them, giving instructions on the use of their muskets telling them, "I've met the elephant before, and the way to do it is to keep cool,shoot slow and aim low. Why, its just like shooting squirrels, only these squirrels have guns, that's all." The young Hoosiers began to do better, and soon their mentor rejoined his regiment that was pulling back, calling out "Good-by!". The Hoosiers held for awhile, but were forced to retreat.

Although they ran at Pittsburgh Landing, the Hoosier regiment compiled a respectable combat record through the rest of the war, participating in nearly 20 major engagements and campaigns, including The March to The Sea.

1. Who was the Ohio regiment that broke and ran ?
2. Who were the two companies in the Ohio regiment that remained in their position ?
3. Who was the Illinois private who assisted in calming down the two rookie Ohio companies ?
4. What regiment did the Illinois private belong to ?

Bonus: The Ohio regiment's Colonel sounded the alarm so many times before the Battle of Shiloh that the regiment gained a unique nickname. What was the nickname ?

Edit - Will the person who submitted these questions please identify yourself, either by sending me a private message or by entering a post in the thread stating that you submitted them?

I can't give credit to the question submitter if I don't know who it is.

hoosier (Incidentally, I am somewhat surprised to see that the question seems to refer to soldiers from Ohio as Hoosiers. I'm not from Indiana myself - my user name stems from the fact that I grew up in Hoosick Falls, NY - but it is my understanding that the term Hoosier is normally applied to people from Indiana, not from Ohio.)

Second Edit - Warbird43 has identified himself as author of these questions, so he will get credit for doing so.

He has also assured me that the regiment in question was from Ohio, not Indiana.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
1. 53rd Ohio 2. Companies A and F 3. William Voris, in an excerpt from the memoirs of Ephraim Dawes where I found the story, Dawes mistakenly remembered him as A.C. Voris 4. 17th Illinois file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/HistoryoftheFiftyThirdRegimentOhioVolunteerInfantryDuringtheWaroftheRebellion186_10060061.pdf

Edit - I cannot follow the link that was supplied, but I was able to find a source indicating that there was a soldier named William Voris in an Illinois regiment, so I will give credit for this answer.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Main questions:
1. Who was the Ohio regiment that broke and ran? 53rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
2. Who were the two companies in the Ohio regiment that remained in their position? Companies A and F.
3. Who was the Illinois private who assisted in calming down the two rookie Ohio companies? A. C. Voris.
4. What regiment did the Illinois private belong to? 17th Illinois.
Source: History of the Fifty-third regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, during the war of the rebellion, 1861 - 1865, pages 47 -48.

Main questions:
1. Who was the Ohio regiment that broke and ran? 53rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
2. Who were the two companies in the Ohio regiment that remained in their position? Companies A and F.
3. Who was the Illinois private who assisted in calming down the two rookie Ohio companies? A. C. Voris.
4. What regiment did the Illinois private belong to? 17th Illinois.
Source: History of the Fifty-third regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, during the war of the rebellion, 1861 - 1865, pages 47 -48.

Bonus: What was the nickname? The Long Roll Regiment.

Mid-morning, April 6, 1862, Pittsburgh Landing, Tennessee, near the Shiloh Church ...... As Confederate battle lines emerged from the woods, the Colonel of a green Ohio regiment in their path yelled out in panic, " Retreat! Save yourselves!". The regiment followed the Colonel in flight to the rear. Two companies that were separated from the rest of the regiment by a ravine didn't hear the retreat order and remained in their position.

The two companies of rookies were about to crack as an Illinois regiment began to fall in beside them. A private in the Illinois outfit, a veteran of Fort Donelson and known for his coolness under fire, was dispatched to do what he could to calm the shaken rookies down. He circulated among them, giving instructions on the use of their muskets telling them, "I've met the elephant before, and the way to do it is to keep cool,shoot slow and aim low. Why, its just like shooting squirrels, only these squirrels have guns, that's all." The young Hoosiers began to do better, and soon their mentor rejoined his regiment that was pulling back, calling out "Good-by!". The Hoosiers held for awhile, but were forced to retreat.

Although they ran at Pittsburgh Landing, the Hoosier regiment compiled a respectable combat record through the rest of the war, participating in nearly 20 major engagements and campaigns, including The March to The Sea.

1. Who was the Ohio regiment that broke and ran ?
2. Who were the two companies in the Ohio regiment that remained in their position ?
3. Who was the Illinois private who assisted in calming down the two rookie Ohio companies ?
4. What regiment did the Illinois private belong to ?

Bonus: The Ohio regiment's Colonel sounded the alarm so many times before the Battle of Shiloh that the regiment gained a unique nickname. What was the nickname ?
1. Who was the Ohio regiment that broke and ran ? Fifty-Third Ohio.
2. Who were the two companies in the Ohio regiment that remained in their position ? Companies A and F.
3. Who was the Illinois private who assisted in calming down the two rookie Ohio companies ? A. C. Voris.
4. What regiment did the Illinois private belong to ? Seventeenth Illinois.
Source: "
53rd Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry (1861-1865)", Ohio Civil War Central, 2020, Ohio Civil War Central. 25 Sep 2020 <http://www.www.ohiocivilwarcentral.com/entry.php?rec=1226>

Bonus: The Ohio regiment's Colonel sounded the alarm so many times before the Battle of Shiloh that the regiment gained a unique nickname. What was the nickname ? The Long Roll Regiment.
Source: Christopher Allen, "Battle of Shiloh: The Devil's Own Day", HistoryNet.
<https://www.historynet.com/battle-of-shiloh-the-devils-own-day.htm>

Regular question:

1) 53rd Ohio
2) Companies A and F
3) Private A. C. Voris
4) 17th Illinois

Sources
:

"Sherman : fighting prophet", page 221

"The regiment remained in this for some time exposed to a galling fire, which could not be returned without endangering the regiment in front, who were hotly engaged. Col. Appler here abandoned the regiment, giving again the order, "Fall back and save yourselves." Companies A and F, under command of Capt.'s W. S. Jones and J. R. Percy, with Adjutant Dawes, remained in the front, and soon after became hotly engaged, in connection with the Seventeenth Illinois. "

Bonus:

Because of the many false alarms Col. Appler sounded, the nickname of the 53rd Ohio became "Long Roll Regiment", referring to the extended drum cadence that called the men to battle

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back