Trivia 9-21-25 Namesake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brig. Gen. Meriwether Jeff Thompson "Swamp Fox of the Confederacy." 220px-Meriwether_Jeff_Thompson.jpg

M. Jeff Thompson. Ironically, Thompson the general survived long past the demise of the vessel named after him, as the CSS General M. Jeff Thompson ran aground and blew up in 1862, while M. Jeff himself lived until 1876.

Sometimes I hate the language barrier! If only I knew what "curried Sardanapalos" might mean ... Wikipedia says Sardanapalos spent his life in self indulgence ... that would hint to "Old Fuss and Feathers", Winfield Scott, who had a paddle steamer named after him, but that was already launched in 1850.

So my answer is:
US Brig. Gen. Nathaniel Lyon
http://www.lyoncamp.org/lyon.htm
Lyon.PNG
Lyon II.PNG

Civil War, A to Z: The Complete Handbook of America's Bloodiest Conflict / ed. by Clifford L. Linedecker

Another possibility is Meriwether "Jeff" Thompson, whose horse was named Sardanapolus. Probably he will also have a steamer named after him. Probably he is the right answer.
But as I'm at least as stubborn as my beloved Gen. Longstreet, I do claim that Lyon also might have groomed a horse named Sardanopolus
once... and so I will stick with my Nate. Prove me wrong! LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun question @MajGenl.Meade !!! Like a riddle within a riddle. Good stuff!

Brig Gen M. Jeff Thompson
, CSA (Meriwether Jeff Thompson)
Gen Thompson's horse, supposedly a spotted stallion, was named "Sardanapalus."
https://archive.org/stream/reminiscencesofg00dukerich/reminiscencesofg00dukerich_djvu.txt
I could find no images online so I am unsure whether he was "spotted" as in Appaloosa or "spotted" as in a Paint. Either way, I'm sure he was handsome. :smile:

I expect that Thompson (or more likely :wink: his trusty groom) would have used a curry comb on ol' Sardanapalus. Use of a curry comb to remove dirt and excess hair from the coat of a horse is also known as "currying" (or the transitive verb "to curry.") The past tense is "curried."

The river steamer was a Confederate Navy ship
"....the CSS General M. Jeff Thompson, was named in Thompson's honor. The side-wheel river steamer was converted at New Orleans to a "cottonclad" ram in early 1862. It was commissioned in April and sent up the Mississippi River to join the River Defense Fleet in Tennessee waters, seeing its first action in the Battle of Plum Point Bend. After being set afire by gunfire from Union warships in the Battle of Memphis on June 6, 1862, the ship ran aground and soon blew up." (wikipedia)​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back