Trivia 9-17-18 a misunderstanding and a dubious honour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
it all started with a canadian actor who didn't know his ancestry properly and thusly claimed a confederate general.

that general's heritage was irish while the actor's maternal line is german but their name got badly anglisized.

when the actor in question got to command his first spaceship he told the showrunner about his 'ancestor' who in turn named a character in the ultimate episode after the general.

considering the fact that the character was a bountyhunter the general would have considered that honour most likely dubiuos.

what's even more dubiuos is that our dauntless captain's second in command prefers a mare's leg as a sidearm.

name the spaceship and the general / bounty hunter

credit: @Schwallanscher

Last edited by a moderator:
The space ship was Serenity. The bounty hunter in "Objects in Space" was named Jubal Early because in Joss Whedon's series Firefly, he was told that Confederate General Jubal Early was an ancestor of Nathan Fillon, who played the main character Malcolm Reynolds.

Jubal Early is a bounty hunter who boarded Serenity with the intention to kidnap River Tam in return for a bounty.
Jubal Early was portrayed by Richard Brooks. He shares his name with the Confederate Civil War General Jubal Anderson Early, from whom Nathan Fillion, a Canadian-American actor and voice actor best known for the lead role of Captain Malcolm Reynolds in the television series Firefly and its feature film continuation, Serenity has claimed to be descended.

Source: The Firefly and Serenity Database - a FANDOM TV Community

it all started with a canadian actor who didn't know his ancestry properly and thusly claimed a confederate general.

that general's heritage was irish while the actor's maternal line is german but their name got badly anglisized.

when the actor in question got to command his first spaceship he told the showrunner about his 'ancestor' who in turn named a character in the ultimate episode after the general.

considering the fact that the character was a bountyhunter the general would have considered that honour most likely dubiuos.

what's even more dubiuos is that our dauntless captain's second in command prefers a mare's leg as a sidearm.

name the spaceship and the general / bounty hunter

credit: @Schwallanscher
Serenity, Jubal Early

• Spaceship: "Serenity"
  • General / bounty hunter: Jubal Early

The Canadian actor is Nathan Fillion, who claims to be a descendant of Confederate general Jubal Early.

The character he plays is Captain Malcolm "Mal Reynolds" commanding the spaceship "Serenity". His second in command, with the interesting sidearm, a Mare's leg lever action pistol is "Zoe Washburn", portrayed by Gina Torres

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nathan_Fillion&oldid=859959194
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Malcolm_Reynolds&oldid=856406406
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_Firefly_characters&oldid=859459502

Great question.
I have no idea how to find an answer to this one.
My search skills are obviously not up to scratch.
Best I can come up with is Bill Shatner, a Canadian actor with an anglicised name so perhaps there is a reference to Star Wars and the USS Enterprise here but the bounty hunter has me beat.

If I had to hazard a guess, the titular good ship Firefly & Malcom Reynolds after General Reynolds? Not a huge fan of the show but framilliar through nerd osmosis... not to many space westerns out there!

If it hadn’t been a Cobfederate General I would have guessed Sheridan from the Babylon 5 series.

Edit - Sorry, Western Reserve Volunteer, your answer isn't correct. Note that the question asked for the name of the spaceship, not the name of the TV series (which I, to be honest, have never heard of).

Welcome to the trivia game, anyway. Hope you'll come back and play again.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back