Trivia 9-13-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Question (two parts): How many Officers who were graduates of West Point were in the Battle of Gettysburg?
(1) Served for the Union?
(2) Served for the Confederacy?

credit: @JOHN42768

Edit - In the "Vacation" thread on the Bivouac and Campfire forum, Ami advised that she would be away on vacation until Sept. 18 and would not be closing any trivia threads until that time.

Apparently she was able to set things up so that new question threads would start on schedule. They just won't be closed until she gets back.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
1. 115 Union
2. 41 Confederate

/www.facebook.com/battleofgettysburgbuff/posts/2898932836794475

1631533536938.png
1631533646680.png

1. 23
2. 11
I don’t know, just taking a guess

Edit - Sorry, BillWright, your answer isn't correct, but welcome to the trivia game, anyway. Players should never be afraid to take a guess. You don't lose any credit for guessing wrong, and you might guess right.

Hope you'll come back and play again.

hoosier

So far, I'm unable to find a comprehensive list of West Point graduates who served in the Battle of Gettysburg (It seems a safe bet that if a man graduated from West Point and served in the Battle of Gettysburg, he would have been an officer).

I did find a site that lists all the West Point graduates from the classes of 1802 through 1864, broken down between those who served in the Civil War and those who did not.

https://civilwarintheeast.com/west-point-officers-in-the-civil-war/

Theoretically, it should be possible to go through the list of all these names, determine which ones served at Gettysburg, and separate them into CSA and USA - being careful, as the site advises, not to include men such as Lewis Armistead, who served as officers at Gettysburg and went to West Point but did not graduate.

However, that seems like an exercise that would consume a lot more time than I'm willing to spend on it. I pass.

Answers: (1) 115
(2) 41
Source: National Park Service Ranger/Historian John Heiser https://battleofgettysburgbuff.com/More_Odds_and_Ends.htm

Edit - Only four players were able to find sources which gave the answers of 115 and 41, so this qualifies as an extremely difficult question.

For that reason, I am also accepting the answers of 57 Union and 58 Confederate, which are supported by a CivilWarTalk post entered by Tom Elmore.

Interestingly, Tom Elmore specified that his list included both graduates and non-graduates of West Point. The official answer specified that it was limited to graduates only. It is puzzling that a list limited to graduates only includes more names than a list including both graduates and non-graduates.

hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back