Trivia 9-13-19 A horse by any other name would smell as sweet & Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
General George Thomas rode a horse named after Sherman; Grant briefly had a mount named for Jefferson Davis while John B Gordon called his ride Milroy after General Robert Milroy, its former owner. But which general named their horse after General Philip Sheridan?

credit: @roberts

Bonus:
I was a founding member of my home state’s Agriculture society. I was also a newspaper editor and plantation owner in my home state. I served as an Adjutant and as commander of one of my home state’s regiments. After serving as commander I commanded a post in Georgia. After the war I was active in Husbandry and was active leader of the grange movement.

Who am I? What’s the regiment I commanded?

credit: @gentlemanrob

General Alpheus Williams - Plug Ugly

Edit - Williams' horse was, indeed, named Plug Ugly, but I find no evidence that he was so named on Sheridan's account.

(If he was, Williams was really taking a chance by referring so disparagingly to Sheridan's appearance. We had a trivia question not long ago based on the fact that Sheridan once threatened to run a fellow West Point cadet through with a bayonet.)

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
General George Thomas rode a horse named after Sherman; Grant briefly had a mount named for Jefferson Davis while John B Gordon called his ride Milroy after General Robert Milroy, its former owner. But which general named their horse after General Philip Sheridan?

credit: @roberts

James H. Wilson, Major General, U. S. Army.
<Gene C. Armistead, Horses and Mules in the Civil War: A Complete History with a Roster of More than 700 War Horses. (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Co., 2013), p. 172.>

Bonus:
I was a founding member of my home state’s Agriculture society. I was also a newspaper editor and plantation owner in my home state. I served as an Adjutant and as commander of one of my home state’s regiments. After serving as commander I commanded a post in Georgia. After the war I was active in Husbandry and was active leader of the grange movement.

Who am I? What’s the regiment I commanded?

credit: @gentlemanrob

David W. Aiken (1828-1887), Colonel, Seventh South Carolina Infantry.

Regular question:

George Armstrong Custer.
It was a blooded colt from Viginia

From Libby Custer's book "Tenting on the Plains"
Snip-it_1568399244731.jpg

Source

Edit - Your source supports the fact that in 1866, Custer owned a colt named Phil Sheridan. The question did not specify that the general had to have ridden the horse during the Civil War, so this is an acceptable answer.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back