Trivia 9-11-19 Medical Impact on the War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
While I never set foot in the United States I did have an impact on that nation's Civil War. The U.S. government purchased 5370 copies of a textbook that I wrote that was first published in 1853; enough so every surgeon in the Federal Armies could be given a copy.
1. Who was I?
2. What was the name of my book?

credit: @ErnieMac

1) Name: John Erichsen
2) Book title:
The Science and Art of Surgery. Being A Treatise on Surgical Injuries, Diseases, and Operations

1568202018790.png

1568202053299.png

Source

(note that even more copies on venereal diseases were bought ... and that Gray's Anatomy also must have been a favourite of the Union doctors ...)

In case anyone wants to buy the book abebooks has it:
1568202306650.png

and for those of us who just want to read it:
1568202502978.png

http://www.medicalantiques.com/civi...cal_books_purchased_by_Medical_Department.htm

1. John Erichsen (19 July 1818 – 23 September 1896)
2. The Science and Art of Surgery. Being A Treatise on Surgical Injuries, Diseases, and Operations. (The US government purchased and distributed 5370 copies of the 1860 edition - enough to give one to every medical officer in the Federal army during the Civil War.) Source

While I never set foot in the United States I did have an impact on that nation's Civil War. The U.S. government purchased 5370 copies of a textbook that I wrote that was first published in 1853; enough so every surgeon in the Federal Armies could be given a copy.
1. Who was I?
2. What was the name of my book?

credit: @ErnieMac
John E. Erichsen (1818-1896), author of The Science and Art of Surgery, Being a Treatise on Surgical Injuries, Diseases, and Operations. (1853). It was first published in the United States by Blanchard & Lea, Philadelphia in 1859 and was the primary text used by surgeons during the American Civil War.
<Royal College of Surgeons of England, "Erichsen, Sir John Eric (1818-1896)", Plarr's Lives of the Fellows. https://livesonline.rcseng.ac.uk/client/en_GB/lives/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ASSET$002f0$002f372393/one?qu="rcs:+E000206"&rt=false|||IDENTIFIER|||Resource+Identifier>

ERICHSEN JOHN; Professor of Surgery in University College London. THE SCIENCE AND ART OF SURGERY being a Treatise on the subject of Injuries Diseases and Operations -Morton 5602 (citing 1st London ed., 1853): "Erichsen was surgeon to University College Hospital, London, and Lister served as his house surgeon." "published by Blanchard & Lea, of Philadelphia, in 1859, and again in 1860, and a copy was issued by the American Government to every medical officer in the Federal Army during the American Civil War" (Plarr's Lives of the Fellows of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, Vol. I, p. 380).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back