Trivia 9-1-2021 Sing a little song for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Question:

True or false?

Ulysses S. Grant loved music and was an a accomplished singer. Often when in camp, he would entertain his officers by giving private concerts, singing both patriotic songs like Yankee Doodle and well known arias from popular operas.

credit: @FarawayFriend

Question:

True or false?

Ulysses S. Grant loved music and was an a accomplished singer. Often when in camp, he would entertain his officers by giving private concerts, singing both patriotic songs like Yankee Doodle and well known arias from popular operas.

Not sure where I read it or it may have been a yarn about Grant spun by Shelby Foote during the Ken Burnes CW series, but the joke was that Grant claimed he loved music but knew only two songs. One was Yankee Doodle and the other - wasn't. Otherwise, I have not read or heard anything about Grant's personal love of music.

Edit - Your response implies that you think the correct answer is "False." Long-time players of the game know that when we have a "True or False" question (which doesn't happen often), the word "True" or the word "False" is supposed to be prominent in the player's answer. But since this is your first time playing, you get 10 points credit for a correct answer.

Welcome to the trivia game, letterreader. Hope you'll come back and play again.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Question:

True or false?

False! What a great question!

Question:

True or false?

False. We all know that this is false from watching Ken Burns'documentary The Civil War. "Grant only knew two songs. One was Yankee Doodle and the other wasn't."

Edit - Correct, historicus. Welcome to the trivia game.

Hope you'll come back and play again.

hoosier

False. Often attributed to Grant:

"I know only two tunes: one of them is 'Yankee Doodle', and the other one isn't."

Edit - Correct, Claude Bauer. Welcome back to the trivia game.

You must like musical questions. The last time you played the game was three years ago, and that was also a musical question.

hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back