8th Tennessee Infantry (Confederate)

May 18, 2005
Spring Hill, Tennessee
This thread is intended to encompass all information regarding the 8th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. Please don't start new threads, just add pertinent information to this thread.

Fayetteville observer., June 06, 1861, Image 3; col. 3.

No. IV.

Written for the Fayetteville Observer.

Mr. N. O. Wallace: Now having a few moments leisure, I with pleasure, amid the bustle and noise of the camp, drop you a few lines for publication, if you think proper, that the good people of Old Lincoln many know how we are getting along, and what we are doing. The boys are all well, with a few exceptions, and in good spirits. Some are complaining, and have been quite unwell, which is not uncommon in camp, especially with those who have not been used to exposure and act imprudently.

I have just been round this morning to see the sick. I found them all improving. I think, when we all become seasoned to camp life and regular in habits, we will do well.

We formed our regiment and elected our officers last Wednesday.--We elected Dr. Alf. S. Fulton of Fayetteville, Lincoln county, commanding Colonel; Captain W. Lawson Moore, of Mulberry, Lieutenant Colonel; Mr. Botts of Jackson county, a private in Capt. Grove's company, Major. We have good officers, men upon whom we can depend. It was agreed upon before we held our election, that Lincoln county should have the two first officers, and Jackson the third. The other offices of the regiment will be filled out by the companies of the other counties, except such as our Colonel has the power to fill by appointment.

I now give you the County, title of company, the name of each captain as positioned in the regiment, and the number of men rank and file.

Jackson county, Gainesboro Invincibles, Capt. Gore, No. of men 99.

Jackson county, Celina Invincibles, Capt. Armstrong, No. of men 80.

Marshall county, New Hope Volunteers, Capt. Bryant, No. of men 98.

Lincoln county, Camargo Guards, Capt. McKinney, No. of men 100.

Lincoln county, Norris Creek Guards, Capt. Higgins, No. of men 78.

Lincoln county, Mulberry Riflemen, Capt. Moore, No. of men 104.

Lincoln county, Petersburg Sharpshooters, Capt. Hall, No. of men 78.

Smith county, Dixon Spring Guards, Capt. Burford, No. of men 62.

Overton county, Overton Guards, Capt. Myers, No. of men 99.

Overton county, Overton Blues, Capt. McHenry, No. of men 91.

We make quite a show when we all meet on the field. Our coming together appear to animate us--we can perform much better.

We have no schisms in our regiment--all get along smoothly. It would do you good to see the unanimity of feeling existing among the boys, the variety of amusements in which they engage, the droll expressions they use, the appellations they bear.

Each mess or family has a Mary, Lucy, Nancy, &c., and many regulations in the domestic circle, which are amusing. It would surprise you to see the improvement that have made in the culinary art. They are getting to be excellent cooks, learning how to fix up a variety of eatables, which add much to the table and gives us a relish for our food.

I would just say to our good friends of Norris Creek, that we are under lasting obligations to them for the nice lot of provisions, which they sent us last week. The boys highly appreciate your kindness.--We saved those luxuries, received from you, for Sunday. We had quite a feast I assure you--invited our friends to dine with us, embracing several preachers. All seemed to enjoy it very much, and joined with us in eulogizing the good and patriotic women of old Lincoln.

Bros. Harden, Rutledge, and myself held a prayer meeting last Saturday night in Camp--had a pleasant time. Your humble servant preached Sunday at ten o'clock, A. M., bro. Harden at three o'clock P. M. We had a social prayer meeting at candle lighting; Bros. Boideston, Rutledge and Harden joined with us.--Bro. Rutledge conducted the services.

I am resolved to do all I can for our Lincoln boys, and those with whom we are associated.

I entered this campaign not with the expectation of gaining honor or making money; but will be satisfied if we can maintain our independence, preserve our liberties, and those sacred institutions that our forefathers have bequeathed to us and our posterity, without which life would be burden and afford no enjoyment. God forbid that our happy Columbia, the Sunny South, should ever be demolished and subdued by Northern fanatics.

Yours respectfully,

May 18, 2005
Spring Hill, Tennessee
Fayetteville observer., May 09, 1861, Image 2, col. 1.
Mulberry Riflemen--

This company under command of Capt. W. L. Moore, paraded in Fayetteville last Monday. Their uniform is of grey cloth, trimmed with yellow, and zouave caps. They made a very fine appearance, and were greeted with cheers and waving handkerchiefs in every part of town. We personally know most of the members, and they are eminently worthy of all the encomiums that can be bestowed upon them:--

MULBERRY, Tenn., May 4th, 1861

Mr. N. O. Wallace--

DEAR SIR:--Below is a list of the officers and privates of the Mulberry Riflemen which you will please put in your paper this week:


J. B. LUSTER, 1st Lieutenant

WM. L. SHOFNER, 2nd do

W. J. THRASH, 3d do

WM BONNER jr., Orderly Sergeant


JOHN REES, jr., 3d do

A. H. BOONE, 4th do

W. H. ROBERSTON, 1st Corporal

W. H. HOLMAN, 2d do

JOHN F. WHITAKER, jr., 3d do

M. L. MEAD, 4th do

N. S. FORRESTER, Color Bearer.

(THEN LISTS 86 Privates.)
May 18, 2005
Spring Hill, Tennessee
Fayetteville observer., May 23, 1861, Image 3, col. 2.

CAMP HARRIS, May 20th, 1861.

Mr. N. O. Wallace:--At your request I enclose you the names of the members of Norris Creek Guards, viz:

Geo. W. Higgins, Captain.

W. C. Griswell, 1st LT.

David Sullivan, 2nd

E. S. N. Bobo, 3d

Jo. G. Carrigan, Orderly Sergeant

M. C. Shook, 2d

T. L. Williamson, 3d

Francis Wells, 4th

M. C. Cotton, 1st Corporal

W. B. Mckenzie, 2d

M. S. Dollins, 3d

T. H. Clark, 4th

(Followed by list of privates.)

MR. N. O. WALLACE:--My boys are all in good health and fine spirits and are as brave a set of fellows as ever raised a musket. We were mustered into service yesterday by Gen. D. R. Smyth, who administered the oath of fidelity to the State and obedience to the officers, &c., of the State. This is an unusual requirement, humiliating too, to a Tennessee volunteer, but so they required (without a shadow of law) and so we performed. We are getting along very well in Camp considering the scanty supply of cooking utensils and Camp equipage generally--We had extra fine dinner today. Through the kindness of that best of all ladies, Mrs. L. L. Stone, we received a large box full of the best substantials, with a smart sprinkling of the delicacies. You may be assured that we did justice to the occasion, not only because of the rarities, but because it came from home prepared by woman's hands. 'Tis truly gratifying to us to know, that while we are deprived of their sweet converse, they have a care for us. My estimable friend Rev. David Tucker gave us an excellent talk in camp this evening. You would have been surprised to have observed the good order and attention given to him.--Davy is a good talker, and no one can know but to love him. But enough at present. Capt. N. C. G. [Norris Creek Guards]
May 18, 2005
Spring Hill, Tennessee
Fayetteville observer., May 23, 1861, Image 3, col. 3.


Saturday, May 18th, 1861.

Mr. WALLACE:--Let the good people of Lincoln know through your paper that we, the Camargo Guards, had quite a pleasant trip from Fayetteville to this place, (Allisonia.) All arrived safe and nearly all right side up. Some of our men lost their hats, but Mr. A. Bearden gave them better ones at Dechard's. We found every convenience here that any set of men could ask, with the exception of cooking utensils, a few towels and blankets. Captain McKinney is rather unwell. Mr. Coats had a chill on Thursday but is well now. General health, good humor, and high spirits pervade our ranks.--We had a noble band of boys.--May the richest blessings of heaven rest upon us all. We had prayers on last night at half past 9, then took a pleasant night's repose. All up this morning at daylight and we will soon be ready for breakfast. It might not be amiss to inform you that three of our men, to-wit: Felix Claunch, J. M. Jones, and W. L. Locker, left us on yesterday morning before breakfast. We think they might have told us good bye. If those men have done anything that should cause them to run away it is unknown to us--perhaps they know more about it than we do. I hope however they have no such charges against themselves. But it is all true that we have a bad way of cooking and some have no blankets, but I hope there is a better day coming. So far as I am concerned I am at home, having brought my blanket with me. I would write more but for want of time. Yours most truly. R. D. Hardin.

Tell our friends to send us a few pones of bread.


The following is a correct role of the Camargo Guards, Lincoln county, Tenn.:


N. M. BEARDEN, 1st Lieutenant.

T. W. RANEY, 2d


R. D. HARDIN, Orderly Sergeant.

W. J. KING, 2d

L. J. E. BEARDEN, 3d

J. W. RAWLS, 4th

W. C. BRIGHT, 1st Corporal.


D. C. DEWITT, 3d

J. M. SHORT, 4th

(Followed by list of privates.)


Retired Moderator
Nov 20, 2012
Two tintypes of Sgt. Jesse Washington Carmack, Co. F, 8th Tennessee.



Description from Tennessee State Library & Archives digital collection:
Sgt. Jesse Washington Carmack, Co. F (formerly D), 8th Tenn. Inf. Regt., CSA. Carmack left Livingston in May 1861 and traveled to Nashville with his regiment. He was present at the battles of Corinth, Miss. [the siege], Perryville, Ky., Murfreesboro, Tenn., Chickamauga, Geo., Franklin and Nashville, Tenn. He deserted on December 20, 1864 and took the oath of allegiance on Feb. 14, 1865 at Burkesville, Ky. After the war he married Lucy Nolan and became a farmer.


Here he is on Find A Grave: https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/...GSst=45&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=6841108&df=all&
Dec 31, 2010
Kingsport, Tennessee

Captain William Sadler, Company G. 8th Tennessee Infantry. The 31 year old captain was killed during the battle Murfreesboro on December 31, 1862. Enlisted and Commissioned 5/15/1861

Stone's River after battle report:

Report of Lieut. Col. John H. Anderson, Eighth Tennessee Infantry.

January 12, 1863.

GEN.: Below you will please find a report of the part taken by the
Eighth [Tennessee] Regt. in the late action before Murfreesborough:

On the morning of December 29, the regiment was ordered into line of
battle. We were placed in line of battle in an old field on the west side
of Stone' River, my left resting on the left of the Wilkinson turnpike
road, in which position we remained subjected during the time to heavy
cannonade of shells, which did but little or no harm, until Wednesday
morning, the 31st, at which time I received orders to hold my regiment
in readiness to move forward at a moment's notice to the support of
Brig.-Gen. Chalmers' brigade, which was in our front. At about
10 o'clock our brigade was ordered forward. The Eighth moved off
promptly at the command, under a very heavy cannonade of shot and
shell. When we had arrived at the position formerly occupied by
Gen. Chalmers' brigade, we were ordered to halt and lie down
behind the little fortification constructed by his brigade of logs and rails.
We remained in this position about twenty minutes under a perfect storm
of shot and shell, causing considerable mortality in my regiment. In this
position we lost 15 or 20 men killed and wounded. It soon became
apparent to every one that Chalmers' brigade was giving way, for it was
with great difficulty that I could keep his men from running over my
men; they came running back in squads and companies, and I am
satisfied that before we left this position that at least two-thirds of the
regiment that had formerly occupied the position we were in had
returned. We were then ordered forward to the charge, which was
responded to by the Eighth Regt. with a yell, the gallant Col.
Moore leading. We moved forward at a double-quick, under a perfect
hail of shot, shell, and grape, when we arrived at the burnt brick house.
The regiment
was thrown into some confusion, caused by the house and some picket
fence and a portion of Chalmers' men that had remained behind the
house, there being several fences and the house and a portion of
Chalmers' men that were in the way, causing some four of the
companies on the right of the regiment to pass around and through the
best way they could. At this juncture the enemy in our front opened a
terrible fire upon us with small-arms, at a distance of about 75 or 100
yards. Such a fire I do not suppose men were ever before subjected to.
At this point the colonel's horse fell, and I supposed that he himself was
either killed or wounded. Seeing the condition in which the regiment
was placed, with a powerful enemy in our front and on the right and
left-for at this time we were then in front of the balance of the brigade,
and the enemy were cross-firing me right a left-and seeing so many of
my men falling around me, I ordered them forward at a double-quick
with fixed bayonets. The gallant Eighth responded with a shout, and
leaped forward like men been on conquering or dying in the attempt.
When we had advanced about 50 or 60 yards, and were just entering the
woods in our front, the colonel came up with sword in hand. He was
not killed or wounded, as I expected; it was only his horse. He had just
reached the regiment again, and was urging them forward, when he fell,
dead, shot through the heart with a minie ball. The enemy in our front
contested stubbornly, and those on our right and left continued to pour
a deadly fire into us. The enemy's first line gave way before my men;
their second was brought forward, but could not stand the impetuosity
of our charge, and they gave way. At this point it was reported to me
that the enemy was trying to get away some artillery on my left. I
immediately changed direction to the left, and charged them and
captured their guns (three at one place), and went 50 yards below. We
captured one more by shooting down their horses and stopped the piece.
I also captured at this point about 400 prisoners belonging to the
artillery and infantry, and we killed Col. [George W.] Roberts, who
was commanding the brigade, as stated to me by the prisoners.

Through the bloody charge I lost many gallant officers and men killed
and wounded. The enemy in the woods in my front having come to a
halt, and pouring a galling fire into us, I ordered the men forward again
at a double-quick; they responded with a shout, and moved forward
upon the enemy. At this point I was joined by the colors and about 100
men of the Fifty-first Regiment, who came in on my left. I ordered
them forward with my men, which orders they obeyed promptly. We
charged the enemy in his position in the woods, under a perfect storm
of bullets, and drove him before us.

About this time I was joined by Col. Chester in person. We then
continued driving the enemy before us, when it was reported to me that
they were trying to flank me on my right. I then changed direction to
the right, and moved forward upon him, and struck his flank and rear,
in which position I halted and gave him a deadly fire, being too weak
in strength to close in behind him. About this time I heard a heavy fire
to right in front of the enemy, whose flank I was upon. I sent an officer
forward to see what it was, and, if it was our force, which I left
confident it was, to inform the commander of my position, that he might
not fire into me, and also to tell the commander to charge them at a
double-quick and drive them by me, that I might shoot them down,
which he did in gallant style; still, when he came up, it proved to be the
Nineteenth Tennessee Regt. I then formed on his left, and moved
forward to the point, driving the enemy before us. It was then reported
to me that the enemy was flanking me on my left. I immediately
changed direction to the left and moved upon him, when he gave way
and fled
through the old field in front of the woods occupied by us when we left
the other night, when we charged him to the old field through which he
fled. We halted in the edge of woods, and gave him a deadly fire as he
ran through the old field. The effect of that fire was apparent to every
one who visited that place, for the edge of the woods and the field for
200 or 300 yards was strewn with his dead and wounded. When we
were unmasked by his force, the enemy, from his batteries on the hill
in our front, opened upon us a perfect hail of grape and canister, when
I ordered the men back into the woods. I then fell back to the old house
in the rear of the woods, to gather together the remainder of the
regiment, that had somewhat scattered in the charge through the dense
woods, and to get a supply of ammunition. I remained there some time,
and gathered all the men that I could get up, in company with Col.'s
Carter and Chester, when we formed line on the right of Gen.
Stewart's brigade. The firing in our front being very heavy, we were
ordered forward, which order we obeyed promptly, and moved to the
front of the woods in front of the enemy, in the old field. In this
position we remained under a very heavy fire of artillery until night
closed this bloody and eventful day.

Perhaps it is necessary that I should be more explicit in my explanation
of my maneuvering in the woods. The reason why I had to change
direction so often was that I was not supported either on the right or
left. Our regiment drove the enemy in our front before this;
consequently, this force on the right and left remained in their position,
and when I had got in their rear it seemed as if they were flanking me;
but when I changed direction to the right; as you will see in the
foregoing report, I struck his flank and rear; and at that time the
Nineteenth Tennessee came to my support on the right again, when I
changed direction to the left. I then discovered that support had arrived
on my left, and was driving the enemy on my left. It was then that I
struck the enemy's flank on my left, when he was entering the old
field. This force on my left I did not ascertain who it was, but supposed
to be the Thirty-eighth Tennessee.

It was generally the case in battle that every regiment that passes a
battery claims to have taken it. In this case there can be no dispute, as
we shot down the horses attached to the guns, and captured the men
belonging to the guns. It is also claimed by my men that there were two
pieces more (in addition to the four that I have previously named)
captured by the right of the regiment, some 75 yards to the right,
making in all six pieces. These two additional pieces I did not see at the
time, as I was near the left of the regiment, but I did see them
afterward, and they must have been taken by my regiment, as it was the
only force in these woods, and those guns, from their position, [were]
covered by my regiment.

I can[not] close this report without saying a few words in regard to the
gallant Col. W. L. Moore, though he fell in that bloody charge. A
more gallant and noble spirit never lived or died for his country. Loved
and honored by his regiment, he fell gallantly battling for his country,
and his native soil drank his blood.

It would afford me great pleasure, and be but sheer justice, to speak at
length of the many noble spirits among the officers and men of my
regiment who gave their lives a sacrifice to their country and native
State on that memorable day, but the casualties of the regiment speak
more for those noble spirits than I could write in a volume.

Respectfully, your obedient servant,

Lieut.-Col., Cmdg. Eighth Tennessee.

Source: Official Records
[Series I. Vol. 20. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 29.]



Retired Moderator
Nov 20, 2012

"Presenting the Colors" by Don Troiani, depicting the presentation of the colors to the Norris Creek Guards, Company G and later D of the 8th Tennessee Infantry.

From the description by Greg Biggs:
With Tennessee being the last state to secede in June 1861, most of the company flags bore no slogans or unit designations although there are some exceptions. There was no shortage of flag presentations, many of which were done from April, 1861 onward even before the state left the Union. On May 11, 1861, a silk First National flag was presented to the Norris Creek Guards, which would become Company D/G of the 8th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, was presented by Miss Sallie Landers whose speech recalled the Tennesseans at New Orleans in 1851 as well as in the Mexican War. She stated, “As a testimonial of their confidence in your prowess and your inflexible determination to maintain the liberties of your selves, your children and your kindred, or perish upon the ensanguined fields of war, I, on behalf of the ladies of Norris Creek, present you this banner and with it invoke the blessings of God upon you…remember that your mothers, your sisters, your children, liberty and Christianity are the trophies for which you struggle.”

In August 1861, the banner was “promoted” to be the regimental banner for the 8th Tennessee Infantry. Bearing the slogan “Patience”, “Courage” and “Victory” in the canton, as well as the crossed cannon battle honor for taking Union guns at the Battle of Perryville, the banner flew over the regiment until it was captured in the Battle of Murfreesboro in December 1862. The men who fell and bled under its folds remained true to Miss Landers’ request.
Last edited: