8th GM Regiment Band acquires 1860's Eb soprano saxhorn

Claude Bauer

First Sergeant
Forum Host
One of my favorite CW period bands, The 8th GM Regiment Band from George Mason University, acquired a new over the shoulder (OTS) Eb soprano saxhorn that was built using parts from two period instruments from the 1860s. The bell was designed to point backwards so that soldiers could hear the music while the band was marching.

Here's one of their members using it to play a snippet of Paul Maybery’s arrangement of “Yankee Doodle Variations”:

89444666_662967271181685_5469123638609313792_o.jpg

I have been aware of the rear facing horns being heard by troops while on the march. . .

BUT, looking at the Haines Band on the wagon picture in my Haines thread . . . they have the same horns but were not a military band. The Haines family were Quakers (pacifist) and ardent antislavery (house was an underground railroad stop).
Any thoughts? Were these horns common in "community" bands?

I have been aware of the rear facing horns being heard by troops while on the march. . .

BUT, looking at the Haines Band on the wagon picture in my Haines thread . . . they have the same horns but were not a military band. The Haines family were Quakers (pacifist) and ardent antislavery (house was an underground railroad stop).
Any thoughts? Were these horns common in "community" bands?

Hi there! Over the Shoulder (OTS) instruments were patented by Alan Dodworth in 1838. These instruments were designed with outdoor marching in mind, specifically parades and military troop movement. As you probably already know, following the War of 1812, the United States military downsized and town militias became the norm. With town militias came town bands to play for their reviews and drills. OTS instruments were ideal for this outdoor setting. It was also common for bands with OTS instruments to stand in a circle inward with their bells pointing outward to the audience. In terms of the Haines family, I'm not 100% certain, but I do know that in the mid-19th century, states began revoking military exemption from military service on the basis of religion. As a response, religious communities "banded" together to form town militias (and bands) to ensure their unit staying whole. The most famous example of this was in Salem, North Carolina where the Moravians formed a militia and the Salem Brass Band (later the 26th North Carolina Regiment Band) formed with them. It's possible the Haines as Quakers had a similar story. If not, it is more than likely since OTS instruments were the most common and the most desirable at the time, any non-military community band would still want to look and sound the part of what was popular. Hope this helps!

One of my favorite CW period bands, The 8th GM Regiment Band from George Mason University, acquired a new over the shoulder (OTS) Eb soprano saxhorn that was built using parts from two period instruments from the 1860s. The bell was designed to point backwards so that soldiers could hear the music while the band was marching.

Here's one of their members using it to play a snippet of Paul Maybery’s arrangement of “Yankee Doodle Variations”:

View attachment 350637

Thank you for the mention! We were fortunate enough to acquire this instrument days before the quarantine started. It, unfortunately, has not yet made its concert debut with the band, but it hopefully will in the fall! Stay tuned :smile:

Troiano,

Thanks for your answer to my OTS horn question about the Haines band. I wasn't aware until your podcast that OTS instruments were that common that early. It seems that most CW comments/writers sort of imply those were designed for military/marching uses rather than community entertainment.

Where Haines was between bands (19th and then 104th) . . maybe he stayed with the 19th 'Reg. I have no sources that say or imply this and evidence that some bandsmen went to other regiments, August Vignos in particular in the 19th Band.

Have you read my other earlier posts with stories of the 19th and 104th bands? i was visualizing them as you described the CW bands entering various communities.

I also learned how the term "band of music" came from. I had come across that term/description a lot while writing A Band of Music, The Alliance City Band Story, 1859-1992. A pdf file online by Googling the title quickly brings up that history, and like I think I heard in the podcast, it was sort of associated with a pre-CW and CW band. I have several pictures through the years of the "City Band" and my interest in the ACB history (and then the entire of the 19th Ohio) is told in "A Band of Music . . ."
Maybe you and Claude could take a quick peruse during this quarantine time.

Again, thanks to you both for the interesting information. In one podcast you have answered three questions I have had for quite some time.

Paul Hobe

Troiano,

Thanks for your answer to my OTS horn question about the Haines band. I wasn't aware until your podcast that OTS instruments were that common that early. It seems that most CW comments/writers sort of imply those were designed for military/marching uses rather than community entertainment.

Where Haines was between bands (19th and then 104th) . . maybe he stayed with the 19th 'Reg. I have no sources that say or imply this and evidence that some bandsmen went to other regiments, August Vignos in particular in the 19th Band.

Have you read my other earlier posts with stories of the 19th and 104th bands? i was visualizing them as you described the CW bands entering various communities.

I also learned how the term "band of music" came from. I had come across that term/description a lot while writing A Band of Music, The Alliance City Band Story, 1859-1992. A pdf file online by Googling the title quickly brings up that history, and like I think I heard in the podcast, it was sort of associated with a pre-CW and CW band. I have several pictures through the years of the "City Band" and my interest in the ACB history (and then the entire of the 19th Ohio) is told in "A Band of Music . . ."
Maybe you and Claude could take a quick peruse during this quarantine time.

Again, thanks to you both for the interesting information. In one podcast you have answered three questions I have had for quite some time.

Paul Hobe

Thank you very much for the kind words! Through the pandemic, we plan to release new episodes every Wednesday. That may change, but be sure to keep checking in!

Thank you all for the support of the Early American Brass Band Podcast and the 8th GM Regiment Band

Back