8th Annual Jefferson Civil War Symposium, 8/9 - 8/10/2019

The rest of the pictures are from my Saturday visit to Old Shiloh Cemetery. There are many Wallaces buried there.

His pension records say he was in the 17th SC Infantry.

Although there was a Confederate grave marker flag at his gravesite,nothing on FindAGrave about his service. He would have been 13 when the war started.

2019-08-10 19.04.17.jpg

The last picture at Old Shiloh Cemetery. It was around 7:00pm and I was standing in the bed of my truck. Changed shirts and rolled out after that. Drove through the back gate turned left and then another left. The cemetery historical marker says: "... One of the older burial grounds in Rusk County, Shiloh Cemetery is located beside Trammel's Trace, an early east Texas roadway." I believe that is the roadway I took out on the left side of the cemetery.

2019-08-10 19.15.26.jpg

If you haven't been there, just over in Louisiana from Panola County is Keatchi, which has a Confederate Cemetery where wounded from the Battle of Mansfield were taken, and the dead interred there.

I recently found some old pictures of the cemetery from when my Dad took me there when I was kid.

If you haven't been there, just over in Louisiana from Panola County is Keatchi, which has a Confederate Cemetery where wounded from the Battle of Mansfield were taken, and the dead interred there.

I recently found some old pictures of the cemetery from when my Dad took me there when I was kid.
Went there in January last year as part of a trip to Mansfield and posted some pictures here in CWT.

If he lived to be 80+ years old,he could've been a CW veteran. I'm guessing the flags are put there at that cemetery by a local SCV Camp or UDC Chapter. Must be a reason for it.
I think you're overlooking that this is also the wrong design for a typical Confederate headstone (with the pointy top - so Yankees can't SIT on it!), possibly because of the way it's been placed on its back instead of standing upright.

I think you're overlooking that this is also the wrong design for a typical Confederate headstone (with the pointy top - so Yankees can't SIT on it!), possibly because of the way it's been placed on its back instead of standing upright.
Could've been a veteran of more than one war also. Don't really know.

DSC06722.JPG

I finally downloaded and processed the photos I took Friday afternoon before the Symposium and decided to put them in a separate thread where hopefully, like the *new* Bigfoot statue above, they will get more attention: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/oakwood-cemetery-jefferson-texas.161100/#post-2108585

DSC06741.JPG

Friday evening after visiting Oakwood Cemetery I proceeded to the nearby "town" of Uncertain where I enjoyed a delicious dinner of Cajun blackened catfish covered with a creole crawfish sauce; below was the view from my window of the eponymous River Bend for which the restaurant is named. Unfortunately, it was far too hot and humid to sit out on their otherwise inviting deck.

DSC06740.JPG

As I posted on page 1 of this thread,on the way up to Jefferson last Friday I kept passing highway signs for cemeteries and it was driving me crazy. That started on TX259 north of Nacogdoches. I also posted in this thread that after turning off TX259 and onto TX315 in Mt. Enterprise,TX, I stopped at Old Shiloh Cemetery on TX315 between Mt. Enterprise and Clayton,TX on Friday and also stopped there on the way home on Saturday afternoon. It was one of those highway cemetery signs on TX259 that got me agitated and antsy about wanting to stop at a/some cemeteries on Friday. I decided to stop at that one too on the way home Saturday.

"Old Prospect Cemetery". C'mon! Like I'm not gonna stop there? :D When I saw that sign on Friday I thought "A cemetery in East Texas with a name like that has to have some Civil War veterans buried there.".

When I pulled out of Old Shiloh Cemetery on Saturday afternon,I Googled "Old Prospect Cemetery". It was a little closer than I remembered. Google Maps said it was 13 miles and 17 minutes away which seemed kinda odd to me. Found out why it seemed odd when I got to the highway cemetery sign on TX259 and turned left off TX259. The cemetery is on County Road 3197 and is 3 miles into the sticks off TX259. CR3197 is not an asphalt or concrete road. It is an elevated,East Texas iron-rich red dirt road with some kinda tar layed down on it to harden the road and I guess to keep it from being washed away by rain. I guess it's elevated for drainage purposes on both sides and it's barely wide enough for 2 vehicles. I think I might have seen 3-4 houses tucked into the woods on that 3 mile stretch and didn't see another vehicle going in. It was another one of those chest-thumpin' times I have now experienced often in my backwoods Civil War travels. I eventually got there and it was totally worth the time and effort. It was about 7:20pm when I got there. Look at that gravestone to the left of the gate in the first picture. Spotted it before I parked my truck. :D

2019-08-10 19.23.02-1.jpg

2019-08-10 19.23.38-1-1.jpg

There are a lotta "Lunsford"s buried at Old Prospect Cemetery. Here are 2 brothers. Photos on both FindAGrave pages and a copy of the Memorial Marker Dedication on one. Alabama boys.

2019-08-10 19.23.54-1-1.jpg

2019-08-10 19.15.25-1.jpg

I don't recall seeing the old stones you see on the FindAGrave page. Maybe I was in too big a hurry. I wanted to be outta the sticks and back on TX259 before it got too late.

2019-08-10 19.16.23-1-1.jpg

A lotta "Strong"s buried in Old Prospect Cemetery. Another 14th Alabama Infantry boy. He was 15 when the war started and lived to be 90. Kinda like the second picture.

2019-08-10 19.19.15-1-1.jpg

2019-08-10 19.19.22-1-1.jpg

Last picture I took of Old Prospect Cemetery:

2019-08-10 19.46.27.jpg

Old Prospect Cemetery is a church cemetery. Old Prospect Baptist Church is apparently still an active church. This was a Saturday afternoon when I was at the cemetery and I could hear the church's air conditioner humming away. The church is not much to look at on the outside. I took this picture from my truck before turning around in the pockmarked parking lot in front of the church. Picture didn't turn out too good but oh well.

2019-08-10 19.31.36-1.jpg

Across the road from the church was this structure that looked like it was moved there from elsewhere and may be in the restoration process. The walls looked old but certainly not the corrugated roof. Not sure how it coulda been moved there from another location. CR3197 doesn't seem wide enough. I started to walk over and take a closer look at it. The property wasn't fenced and I didn't see any no trespassing signs but I still felt a little uneasy about doing that. Kinda like the pictures I got.

2019-08-10 19.32.10-1-1.jpg

2019-08-10 19.32.43-1-1.jpg

Got home about 10:15pm last Saturday night. Early enough to get some sleep and be somewhat rested for church the next morning. This was my 4th year to attend the Annual Jefferson Civil War Symposium. I try to do something a little different each time. I already have at least one thing different/new planned for next year. Maybe some fine folks from CWT who have never been to this event can make it next year. Maybe @Nathanb1 can make it next year. :D Thanks for reading along.

Got home about 10:15pm last Saturday night. Early enough to get some sleep and be somewhat rested for church the next morning. This was my 4th year to attend the Annual Jefferson Civil War Symposium. I try to do something a little different each time. I already have at least one thing different/new planned for next year. Maybe some fine folks from CWT who have never been to this event can make it next year. Maybe @Nathanb1 can make it next year. :D Thanks for reading along.
The following day, Sunday, after staying another night in the beautiful Benefield House B&B I decided to take advantage of the fact that our Symposium fee also included admission to the Jefferson Historical Museum in the old U. S. Custom House and Courts Building. In the relatively new model RR display I'd never seen before, I ran into one of our Symposium organizers, Weldon Nash, with whom I made arrangements to again exhibit my collection at next year's event.

Back