8th Annual Jefferson Civil War Symposium, 8/9 - 8/10/2019

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
562d08804f952e746419f464.jpg

We're still a little ways out,but the Registration Flyer was just posted and emailed to those on the mailing list and I'm excited already. James N. The speaker list and topics look great. The Symposium is actually on Saturday 8/10/19 but there is always a Speakers Reception on the Friday night before at The Excelsior House Hotel in Jefferson. I've been the last 3 years and I really enjoy the Speakers Reception, Symposium and the town of Jefferson. I made a reservation last night for Friday night 8/9 at The Excelsior House Hotel. I usually stay at The Jefferson Hotel but it is closed for repairs and renovation. The Kahn Hotel is on the same street and a block down from The Excelsior House. There are a number of B&Bs close to the site of the Symposium too.

https://www.jefferson-texas.com/events/#!event/2019/8/10/civil-war-symposium

Attachments

• civil-war-symposium-color.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 136
What a coincidence, I was in Jefferson just yesterday to find one of the powers that be on the Symposium, on some other business. Maybe this year I'll be able to meet and talk to you in person, as I recall that didn't happen last year.

But full disclosure, it is a rare thing for me to actually pay and sit in on the "talks" I mainly just show up and hang around at the vendor tables. Year before last I got to sit and guard some nice items like an original 1860 Henry a friend of mine owns. To me the real prize is the all the books that are for sale.

We're still a little ways out, but the Registration Flyer was just posted and emailed to those on the mailing list and I'm excited already. James N. The speaker list and topics look great. The Symposium is actually on Saturday 8/10/19 but there is always a Speakers Reception on the Friday night before at The Excelsior House Hotel in Jefferson. I've been the last 3 years and I really enjoy the Speakers Reception, Symposium and the town of Jefferson. I made a reservation last night for Friday night 8/9 at The Excelsior House Hotel. I usually stay at The Jefferson Hotel but it is closed for repairs and renovation. The Kahn Hotel is on the same street and a block down from The Excelsior House. There are a number of B&Bs close to the site of the Symposium too.

Alas! earlier this month I attended the single Saturday of Pilgrimage and the Jefferson Hotel was still closed, as it had been during my previous visit in February. Investigating, I was informed that it is no longer open at all, but in receivership to the bank! So I'm now adrift since I've only stayed before either there or at the Excelsior, which is now too d*mn high!

Alas! I attended the single Saturday of the Pilgrimage and the Jefferson Hotel was still closed, as it had been during my previous visit in February. Investigating, I was informed that it is no longer open at all, but in receivership to the bank! So I'm now adrift since I've only stayed before either there or at the Excelsior, which is now too d*mn high!
You might check some of the closeby B&Bs. There are a couple that are priced less than the Excelsior but a little higher than The Jefferson. I almost booked at one of them for this trip. I am told by a person in town that if you book at some of them for Symposium weekend and tell them you are attending the Symposium,they will give a discount. The Carriage House is the one I almost booked at. I am only staying Friday night this year.

Alas! earlier this month I attended the single Saturday of Pilgrimage and the Jefferson Hotel was still closed, as it had been during my previous visit in February. Investigating, I was informed that it is no longer open at all, but in receivership to the bank! So I'm now adrift since I've only stayed before either there or at the Excelsior, which is now too d*mn high!
Guess there wasn't enough funds to make repairs and pay bills while it was closed. Perhaps next year we can coordinate and share lodging and expenses. I prefer staying in Jefferson but $150+/night,tax included,is a bit much for single occupancy quarters.

Guess there wasn't enough funds to make repairs and pay bills while it was closed. Perhaps next year we can coordinate and share lodging and expenses. I prefer staying in Jefferson but $150+/night,tax included,is a bit much for single occupancy quarters.
On some previous visits for Candlelight the first weekend of December I've even stayed at (yuck) Motel 6 at Marshall; like you, I'd greatly prefer IN Jefferson.

Well gentleman I think the good ole days of Jefferson are gone, when I was there last week it empty building, after empty building. The bad part is it could be fixed, but too many folks in that town are a bit short sighted. The taxes and utility bills are driving folks out left and right. Its hard to blame The Excelsior on the price, as things stand I wouldn't be surprised if it closes within a year or two the way things are going in that town.

That's not even some of the bad ideas some folks over there have, now in the museum they've torn out one of the main room on the second story, permanently closed the basement, and installing an elevator at an exorbitant cost.

There's still the Pilgrimage, the Symposium, and Marti Gras but everything else is pretty much gone, or headed that way.

As for me, I'm just glad I'm 15 minutes away and don't have to worry of finding a place to stay!

Well gentleman I think the good ole days of Jefferson are gone, when I was there last week it empty building, after empty building. The bad part is it could be fixed, but too many folks in that town are a bit short sighted. The taxes and utility bills are driving folks out left and right. Its hard to blame The Excelsior on the price, as things stand I wouldn't be surprised if it closes within a year or two the way things are going in that town.

That's not even some of the bad ideas some folks over there have, now in the museum they've torn out one of the main room on the second story, permanently closed the basement, and installing an elevator at an exorbitant cost.

There's still the Pilgrimage, the Symposium, and Marti Gras but everything else is pretty much gone, or headed that way.

As for me, I'm just glad I'm 15 minutes away and don't have to worry of finding a place to stay!
Not exactly encouraging. If too many of the main ghost tour attractions shut down it will kill the ghost tour.

Not exactly encouraging. If too many of the main ghost tour attractions shut down it will kill the ghost tour.

Last I heard it was already mostly dead. It still exists, but word on the street is they're lacking customers even during the Halloween season I've heard attendance is down.

Jefferson itself could be saved, quite easily in fact, but there's too many issues with some folks running the city and county outside CWT's purview that's draged the old city to her deathbed.

I'll speak highly of Dr. Parrish, the first presenter. His father and mine worked together at Baylor for many years. Michael reviewed my Locomotives Up the Turnpike and we had a long talk about the CW and writing.

I guess i'm going after all - I just made reservations at Benefield House B&B for Friday and Saturday nights. Hope to see @bdtex @Rusk County Avengers and any other members who care to attend!

Never doubted your coming. I was in Jefferson the other day delivering a bookshelf from a circa-1868 house that came down in Henderson years ago. I was given two, only needed one, and don't even have a high enough ceiling for the one I kept. 8 ft. tall bookshelves are awesome!

Well, the day has come, and I'm leaving now to make the approximately hour-and-a-half drive from my house to Jefferson - I trust I'll see you all this afternoon or in the morning!

Well, the day has come, and I'm leaving now to make the approximately hour-and-a-half drive from my house to Jefferson - I trust I'll see you all this afternoon or in the morning!
Eating lunch in Marshall right now.

You guys have fun. I'm Boxer-sitting during the scorching weather (Luckey wants in-out-in-out and I decide what she actually gets to do!) and waiting for October!

Actually it started before that. On the way up, some time after Nacogdoches,I kept passing signs for cemeteries and it was driving me crazy. Close to the Rusk/Panola county line,I passed a highway cemetery sign and got on the brakes and made a u-turn. Got off the highway,drove a bit then reached the cemetery and drove in. Parked my truck,got out and gazed. Confederate grave marker flags everywhere. It was about 11:30am and blazing hot. Took a few pictures. Gonna stop there on the way home tomorrow evening when it is cooler and not as bright and hot and get some more pictures. Just a teaser for now:

IMG_20190809_114654760.jpg

Back