Trivia Question 8-8-19 Who Said That?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!
Status
Not open for further replies.
General Pierre Gustave Toutant-Beauregard, CSA

"But, my friends, I do not appear before you to-night to make a speech, and for several reasons -- first, It is a time for action, not speaking; and secondly, my throat has been been left in such a condition by recent illness, that the only way in which I can speak now is through the mouths of my cannon." [New York Times, November 19, 1862, page 2.]

p.s. Some newspaper reports suggest his bad throat was the result of typhoid fever, but the type of "recent illness" Beauregard suffered is largely inconclusive.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
".....the only way in which I can speak now is through the mouths of my cannon."
In a speech he did not give, who said that? And what was the cause of his difficulty in speaking?

credit: @lelliott19
Pierre G. T. Beauregard (1818-1893). Beauregard suffered from a chronic throat ailment, possibly chronic tonsillitis, since childhood.
For more on 'the speech, see New York Times, November 19, 1862, page 2. https://www.nytimes.com/1862/11/19/archives/a-speech-from-beauregard.html.

ami

Major General
Super Moderator
PGT Beauregard (28 May 1818 – 20 February 1893)
In November 1862, at Savannah, Georgia, Beauregard said, "But, my friends, I do not appear before you to-night to make a speech, and for several reasons -- first, It is a time for action, not speaking; and secondly, my throat has been been left in such a condition by recent illness, that the only way in which I can speak now is through the mouths of my cannon. Again thanking you for your cordial manifestations of your regard, I bid you, friends, good night."
https://www.nytimes.com/1862/11/19/archives/a-speech-from-beauregard.html

Status
Not open for further replies.