Trivia 8-7-19 Shiloh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything I could find said two Confederates were buried in the national cemetery until I stumbled across this cemetery site. Two are under named stones, plus one that is under an unknown grave.
The two that are known are Phillip Rosser (13th IL) and RE Cook (18th AL)
The soldier under an unknown marker is F.A. Rasch (Orleans Guard)

Source

Well, the NY Times says no Confederate Soldiers are buried at the Shiloh Cemetary:
Snip-it_1565181204043.jpg

Obviously fake news, because the NPS says there are two Confederate graves!
Snip-it_1565181377150.jpg

And this site even states Three Confederates are buried there:
Snip-it_1565181700645.jpg

And lo and behold! That what our own @ErnieMac also says:
"Only three Confederates now lie in the Shiloh National Cemetery: F.A. Rasch of the Orleans Guard (who is in an unknown grave), Phillip Prosser of the 13th Louisiana, and R.E. Cook of the 18th Alabama."

So, as the question did not ask for the number of gravemarkers, and as @ErnieMac even gave the names, I will go with
a) 3 Confederate soldiers are buried there
b) the names are:
F. A. Rasch, Philip Prosser and
R. E. Cook (although, as Rasch lies in an unmarked grave (although he is obviously identified, as the Shiloh Cemetery website gives his name and unit), credit should also be given to those who answer 2 and just the names of Prosser and Cook. Just my opinion of course.)

My final answer is three. But I do have a further mystery.

Private Philip Prosser grave Number 2783 13th Louisiana
F A Rasch grave Number unknown Orleans Guard
Private R E Cook grave Number 2784 18th Alabama

J A Nevin is an interesting grave at Shiloh. I am firmly committed to my answer of 3 as I have found several sources with the same 3 names, Nevin was initially buried in Cerro Gordo Tn and reinterred at Shiloh like many others. He has a rounded headstone indicating a Union grave. So could he be listed to the wrong unit, or could the Mississippi Light Battery B be a Union unit (could find no support for that). I no longer trust single sources so
I went to the Shiloh NC website which luckily had graves sort by the first letter of their last name. They included their unit as seen in the screenshot below. That is how I found Nevin. Please send me a message if you can add further details on Nevin.

Private J A Nevin grave Number 3449 Mississippi Light Battery B

IMG_0274.PNG

Shiloh 3 confederate source

F. A. Rasch of the Orleans Guard (who is in an unknown grave)
Phillip Prosser of the 13th Louisiana
R. E. Cook of the 18th Alabama.
Regards
David

Edit - You do not get any extra credit for answering your own question. :wink:

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back