Trivia 8-6-19 butternuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maj James Edwin Powell
1565096494432.png

According to my source on Saturday, April 5th - - -

“Major James E. Powell, an experienced soldier, spotted a large body of enemy cavalry hovering on the edges of the woods, taking in the proceedings. He notified Prentiss, who decided to investigate with a reconnaissance at 4 p.m. of five companies, commanded by Colonel David Moore."

Answer: Major James Edwin Powell (1819-1862) from the 25th Missouri

Who was the Major from the 25th Missouri who reported the presence of "butternuts" to General Prentiss the day before the Battle of Shiloh?

credit: @hughes
James E. Powell (1819-1962). He observed rebel cavalry watching the U. S. Forces on parade Saturday, April 5, 1862, and alerted Colonel Everett Peabody. Peabody warned General Prentiss and authorized a patrol that eventually became involved in a firefight that began the battle on April 6, 1862.
Both Powell and Peabody were killed in the battle.

Major James Edwin Powell (19 December 1819 - 6 April 1862)
The following day, Saturday [April 5, 1862], General Prentiss's division was reviewed by General Prentiss. After the review, Major Powell, of the 25th Missouri, came to me (I was division officer of the day), and said he saw 'Butternuts' looking through the underbrush at the parade, about a dozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back