Trivia 8-5-19 College Kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I was nearing graduation when the war broke out. I formed a company of my fellow university students the day Fort Sumter surrendered. Six days later I was commissioned Captain in a ninety-day infantry regiment. Later I rose to Lieutenant Colonel of Alabama Cavalry. After leaving the army, I finished my undergraduate degree and entered law school. I practiced law in my hometown, where I also played as a member of an early sports team and served in my state's legislature then in Congress.
Who am I? What was my sports team?

credit: @WJC

You are Ozro John Dodds (March 22, 1840 – April 18, 1882). Your sports team was Cincinnati's first baseball club, the Live Oak Baseball Club.

Sources: Wikipedia and Miami University for Dodds, this PDF for Dodd's membership in "the original Cincinnati baseball club" (Appendix A on p. 262) as well as the statement on p. 212 that the Live Oak Baseball Club was the first in Cincinnati, which is supported by Base Ball in Cincinnati: A History by Harry Ellard on p. 20.

You are Ozro John Dodds
Your team was the Cincinnati Baseball Club

Snip-it_1565035426097.jpg

Further source:

Source for sports team (last line mentions Dodd):
Snip-it_1565038599423.jpg

Just in case the exact name of the team matters:
The Cincinnati Baseball Club is what later will become the Red Stockings, and then the Cincinnati Reds. But when Dodds played, officially they were just the Cincinnati Baseball Club, although they already wore the famous red stockings:
Snip-it_1565072492568.jpg

Proof for this is the application form from the same source as the two clips above:

Snip-it_1565073021451.jpg

Source for name: Wikipedia:

Snip-it_1565064753935.jpg

I am Ozra J. Dodds. My sports team was the Cincinnati Buckeyes.

Sources:

I have to say I'm impressed with my own Googling skills. What first tipped me off is that he enlisted in a 90 day infantry regiment (sounds Union) and then joined the Alabama cavalry. I know there was a Unionist 1st Alabama Cavalry because my ancestor was in the Confederate counterpart.

Edit - Correct, privateflemming. Welcome to the trivia game.

Hope you'll come back and play again. Note that there is a thread on the trivia game forum titled "Woah! The Wiki links are way too long," which gives tips on how to avoid having entire Wikipedia articles being included in the thread.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Ozro J (John) Dodds (22 March 1840 – 18 April 1882)
He was a student at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio when he organized Capt Dodd's University Company. He was made Lt Col of the 1st Alabama Cavalry (US) on October 18, 1863.
Source

You are Lieutenant Colonel Ozro J. Dodds of the 1st Alabama (Union) Cavalry. You were a charter member of the Cincinnati Base Ball Club, forerunner to the Cincinnati Red Stocking and Cincinnati Reds.
Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=v...QAQ#v=onepage&q=ozro dodds "baseball"&f=false pages 115 - 116.

When I find myself completely stymied in looking for an answer, I sometimes try to pick out a smiley that expresses my mood.

I see we have a whole bunch of new smilies available on the website, so I'll use one of them.

As far as answering this question goes, I'm behind the 🎱.

The Sports Team:
Ozro Dodd is listed among the members of the "Original Cincinnati Baseball Club 1866-1871"
Source page 271
According to wiki: The Cincinnati Base Ball Club, or simply Cincinnati Club, was established July 23, 1866, at a downtown law office, drawing up a constitution and by-laws and electing officers...In 1869, it became the professional baseball team known as the Cincinnati Red Stockings, with 10 salaried players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back