Trivia 8-28-19 What Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
In December 1862 and January 1863, many southern newspapers claimed that U. S. troops at Nashville, Tennessee were mutinying and refusing to fight because of the Emancipation Proclamation. This appears to have been a reference to one unit in which some 600 men refused orders to advance to Stones River on December 26, 1862, because they had not been assigned the required number of commissioned and non-commissioned officers. A court Martial found eight men guilty of mutiny, but the verdict was later set aside. The regiment was reorganized with proper staffing and served with distinction throughout the war.
What unit was this?

credit: @WJC

I found a case of mutiny at Nashville in relation to the battle at Stone's River but I can not find the numbers that are given. Approx 300 of this unit did fight, while another 400+ refused to carry out orders for many reasons, including an adequate number of officers.
The unit in question that I found was Anderson Cavalry, 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry.
Source
Source

15th Pennsylvania Cavalry- my GG uncle was in it. They stopped their mutiny after they were properly officered ( it wasn’t about the EP). My gg uncle served until the end of the war. The 15th served with distinction til the end. According to Wikipedia , the were Rosencrans’ and Thomas’ favorite unit.

115th Penn. Volunteer Cavalry (Anderson Cavalry)

Edit - There's quite a difference between 15 and 115. However, since you added the identification that it was the Anderson Cavalry, I assume that the extra "1" was a typo and will give credit for this answer.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
She provided them a couple of weeks ago!

Edit - Since the summer game is about to end and you are nowhere near close to winning, I won't worry about this.

However, I would really rather that players never make posts that hint at the possibility that players may be colluding with each other. If you want to thank somebody, please do so via a private converation, rather than a post in the trivia game.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back