Trivia 8-25-17 Name that group and bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main question: I'm guessing that you're talking about the Fenians, who conducted several raids during 1866 in opposition to the British in Canada. The way the question is worded, it sounds like it's saying that Meade was in command of those who were rebelling, but actually he was sent up toward the Canadian border to make sure the Fenians didn't cause too much trouble on the U. S. side.

Bonus: You are Dudley DuBose and your father-in-law was Robert Toombs.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is the correct answer as Meade wasn't in command of this "rebellion." He was in command of the forces sent to foil the rebellion and repel a planned invasion into Canada by the American Fenian Society in 1866. The Fenians were an American branch of the Irish Fenian Society, which strove for Ireland’s independence from England. Under instruction from Lieutenant General Grant, Meade was able to protect the border at Eastport, Maine. Ultimately, at the end of that same year he commanded the Military Division of the Atlantic in Philadelphia, and it was at this position in Philadelphia that he died of pneumonia on November 6, 1872. http://npg.si.edu/blog/our-civil-war-collection-general-george-meade

BONUS: Credit for Q - which was hopefully significantly easier than our recent poems by @amweiner :wavespin::D:wavespin:

It was Fenian Brotherhood and their oath: “labor with earnest zeal for the liberation of Ireland from the yoke of England.” It took General Meade from Eastport, ME; Buffalo, NY; St, Albans, VT as well as using the USS Michigan on Lake Erie to ensure the Fenians should not receive any reinforcements from the U.S. side in their skirmish with Canada.

grant and meade and fenian raids in 1866

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~dbertuca/155/FenianRaid.html

bonus: Answer:
Brig Gen Dudley McIver DuBose
assumed command of the brigade previously known as Wofford’s. Prior to his promotion, he was Col of the 15th Georgia. wiki/Dudley_M._DuBose

His father-in-law was Brig Gen Robert Augustus Toombs; previously U.S. Senator from Georgia (1853-61); delegate to Georgia secession convention (1861); Delegate to the Confederate Provisional Congress (1861-62); Confederate Secretary of State (1861).

Edit - I can understand why a number of players found the wording of the question confusing and were uncertain as to whether the question was asking for the name of the group in rebellion or the name of the military organization Meade commanded in opposition to that rebellion. For that reason, I am accepting Military Division of the Atlantic as a correct answer.

While Meade later went on to command both the Department of the East and the Third Military District, those commands came to him more than a year after either his last Civil War battle, which took place in April 1865, or his assuming command of the Military Division of the Atlantic, which took place in June 1865. And I can't find any reference to Meade needing to oppose a rebellion while he was in command of either the Department of the East or the Third Military Division. Therefore, I'm not accepting those answers as correct.

Incidentally, I read through the article to which the official answer provides a link, three times, and I could not find any mention of Meade or Grant in it.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back