Trivia 8-18-17 The First One

Status
Not open for further replies.
regular:
1st new york independent battery aka 'cowan’s battery' monument (est. 1887)

it's in the lower right corner and they guys carying it are about to be treated with double canister shot

upload_2017-8-21_16-4-53.png
source - i've read in an obscure blog about being the first, so i searched directly for it

bonus:

i got a figure of $ 5,000 for a roundtrip from nassau to any southern port - as this was real money back than i go for it

source - i rephrased my search to make the quote easier to access

Main Question

The first monument with a Confederate flag

The first monument that contained the depiction of a Confederate flag is actually on a Union monument which was dedicated in 1887. The medium sized monument is to the 1st New York Independent Battery, commanded by Captain Andrew Cowan, and honors their valiant efforts in the repulse of Pickett's Charge. Located just a few yards south of the famous "copse of trees" along Cemetery Ridge on Hancock Avenue, the bronze relief plaque on the north side of the monument depicts their heroic actions on July 3; if you look very closely in the far right corner, you will see a Confederate flag waving in all its glory:

p7251242.jpg

p7251243.jpg

http://battleofgettysburgbuff.com/Odds_and_Ends.htm

1st New York Independent Battery, dedicated 1887

http://battleofgettysburgbuff.com/Odds_and_Ends.htm

bonus: Answer: $5,000

Source: The Library of Congress Civil War Desk Reference

since I missed a word on the main question, I will defer to hoosier on how to score. I feel ample time and reminders were made, but it's his call.

Edit - The picture in post # 43 shows that the monument to the 1st NY Battery includes not only an image of a Confederate battle flag but also images of soldiers - who must be Confederates - rushing forward under that flag. So this monument is the correct answer to the question, whether or not the word "flag" is included.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back