Trivia 8-16-19 & bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I jumped ship on April 19, 1862 and disappeared. A $1,000 reward was offered for my apprehension. A group of young boys found me about two weeks after I vanished. Who am I?

credit: @BrianB

Bonus:
I was a graduate of Mercer University in my home state. I represented my home county at my states secession convention where I was one of the younger delegates. During the war I rose from the rank of 1st Lt. to major of my regiment. I was wounded and captured in a battle right after the battle of Gettysburg. I would spend the remainder of the war in union prison and was released in 1865. After the war I returned home and became involved in politics serving in the highest position of my home state. After serving in this position I became a business leader in the cotton mill business. What is my name and what position did I hold in my home state?

credit: @gentlemanrob

**NO TRIVIA NEXT WEEK

Bonus:

I guess you are Henry Dickerson McDaniel

Edit - The question asked for the man's name and the position that he held. Although you only stated the man's name, I will give you credit for a correct answer since your source shows the word "Governor" very prominently in the very first line.

I note that your response to the main question, shown in a later post, stated that Harvey was the governor of Wisconsin, even though that question only asked for the man's name and not his position.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
main question: This sounds like the story of Wisconsin Governor Louis Powell Harvey who fell off a river boat April 19, 1862 near Pittsburgh Landing while visiting the troops after Shiloh. His body was found by a group of boys 65 miles down the river 2 weeks later. Can't find where there was a reward offered to find him so don't know if this is right but it's my best guess. http://www.secondwi.com/wisconsinpeople/harvey.htm

I jumped ship on April 19, 1862 and disappeared. A $1,000 reward was offered for my apprehension. A group of young boys found me about two weeks after I vanished. Who am I?

Bonus:
I was a graduate of Mercer University in my home state. I represented my home county at my states secession convention where I was one of the younger delegates. During the war I rose from the rank of 1st Lt. to major of my regiment. I was wounded and captured in a battle right after the battle of Gettysburg. I would spend the remainder of the war in union prison and was released in 1865. After the war I returned home and became involved in politics serving in the highest position of my home state. After serving in this position I became a business leader in the cotton mill business. What is my name and what position did I hold in my home state?

**NO TRIVIA NEXT WEEK
I jumped ship...... is too vague for me
Bonus: I am the 52nd governor Henry Dickerson McDaniel

Bonus: Major Henry Dickerson McDaniel of the 11th Georgia Infantry, 52nd Governor of Georgia, and also served in the House and Senate and founded Georgia State University, what an interesting story. http://old.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/20030706get_mcdaniell3.asp
mcdaniel.jpg

Bonus:
You are Henry Dickerson McDaniel (September 4, 1836 – July 25, 1926).
You served in Georgia's state legislature from 1872-1882 (Senate and House of Representatives) and you became governor in 1883 (finishing the term of Alexander H. Stephens who died in office). You were re-elected governor for the term 1884-1886.

Sources: Wikipedia, https://snaccooperative.org/ark:/99166/w66h5wxm

Bonus:

**NO TRIVIA NEXT WEEK
Bonus - Henry Dickerson McDaniel, Governor of Georgia May 10, 1883 - November 9, 1886

Regular question:

You are Wisconsin Governor Louis Powell Harvey

"On April 19, 1862, close to Shiloh, Harvey stopped overnight near Savannah, Tennessee. Late that evening, while trying to step from a tethered boat to a moving steamboat headed back north (a common but dangerous practice), Harvey fell into the Tennessee River and drowned, despite the strenuous rescue efforts of members of his party.
His body was found 14 days later, 65 miles downstream; his remains lay in state in the Wisconsin State Capitol, and he was buried in Forest Hill Cemetery, in Madison."

1565960472155.png

Source

Snip-it_1565970627113.jpg

No answer.

Bonus:

Henry D. McDaniel (1836-1926), Governor of Georgia from 1883-1886.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back