Trivia 8-15-19 three parter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Today I am better known for my supposed dietary habits during a quest for vengeance in the Rocky Mountain territories of the American West. If you google me you will find the sources do not agree on what my name actually was or how it was spelled, but that didn't stop Hollywood from making me the subject of a movie about my western adventures. I did play a role in the American Civil, was wounded while in action with my unit during Sterling Price's 1864 raid into Missouri and discharged in September 1865.
1. What was my name and nickname?
2. What was the name of the movie that portrayed my life?
3. What regiment did I serve with during the Civil War?

credit: @ErnieMac

Edit - Despite the title of the thread, it appears that players will need to answer four questions correctly in order to get credit for a correct response. Item # 1 should be considered to consist of two parts: A. What was my name? and B. What was my nickname?

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the clues fit the following man - - -
1. You Were Born: John Jeremiah Garrison Johnston, nicknamed "Liver-Eating" Johnson
2. The Movie: Actor Robert Redford played the lead in the film titled - “Jeremiah Johnson”
3. You were in the Union Army’s Company H, 2nd Colorado Cavalry

Great question. Found someone through sheer luck, I hope it is him. Everything seems fitting.

1) Name and nickname: John Jeremiah Garrison Johnston aka Liver-Eating Johnson aka "The Livereater"
2) Name of the movie that portrayed his life: Jeremiah Johnson (1972, starring Robert Redford)
3) Regiment you served with: 1st Division 2nd Colorado Calvary 4th Brigade H Company

Sources for all:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Liver-Eating_Johnson&oldid=903855746

1) I believe you're (born) John Jeremiah Garrison Johnston (c. 1824 – January 21, 1900), better known as John "Liver-Eating" Johnson. Other names he was known as: John Johnson, Jack Johnson, John Johnston.
2) The movie would be Jeremiah Johnson (1972) starring Robert Redford as the main character.
3) You served with the 2nd Colorado Cavalry.

Sources: Wikipedia (person, movie), http://johnlivereatingjohnston.com/, https://wikimili.com/en/Battle_of_Westport (see "Noteworthy Participants" about two thirds down the page)

1. His name was John Jeremiah Garrison Johnston. Much debate is had over his name because he changed it after he deserted the Navy during the Mexican American War when he struck an officer. His nickname was John "Liver-Eating" Johnson. He received this moniker by cutting out and eating the liver for each man he killed. He killed over 300 Crow Native Americans in revenge for killing his pregnant wife.
2. The movie was called Jeremiah Johnson (1972) and starred Robert Redford.
3. He served in the 2nd Colorado Cavalry.

Source #1
Source #2

Couldn't resist to add a photo of Robert Redford as Jeremiah Johnson

1565886603388.png

He was born John Jeremiah Garrison Johnston but changed his name to Jeremiah Johnson.
His nickname was "Liver-Eating". John "Liver-Eating" Johnson.

The movie was Jeremiah Johnson staring Robert Redford based partly on Liver-Eating.

In the winter of 1863 Johnston joined the 1st Division 2nd Colorado Calvary 4th Brigade H Company as a Private/Scout in the Civil War. He deserted but later came back to the 2nd Colorado Cavalry.

A couple sources had some additional names for our nasty boy. In October of 1864 Johnston was shot in the leg and shoulder in the battles of Westport and Newtonia.

Stevie Wonder once told me I looked a lot like Robert Redford. I asked him how would he know, he told me Jose Feliciano told him. I just walked away thinking that was a compliment. At least they didn't call me Liver-Eating!

Liver-Eating Source

Movie source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back