Trivia Question 8-15-19 three parter

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!
Status
Not open for further replies.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Today I am better known for my supposed dietary habits during a quest for vengeance in the Rocky Mountain territories of the American West. If you google me you will find the sources do not agree on what my name actually was or how it was spelled, but that didn't stop Hollywood from making me the subject of a movie about my western adventures. I did play a role in the American Civil, was wounded while in action with my unit during Sterling Price's 1864 raid into Missouri and discharged in September 1865.
1. What was my name and nickname?
2. What was the name of the movie that portrayed my life?
3. What regiment did I serve with during the Civil War?

credit: @ErnieMac
1. Alferd Griner Packer (1842-1907), also known as "The Colorado Cannibal";
2. Two movies were made based on Packer's story: The Legend of Alfred Packer (1980) and Cannibal! The Musical (1993);
3. Company F, 16th U.S. Infantry Regiment and, later Company L, 8th Iowa Cavalry Regiment.
Note: The records I have seen indicate Packer was mustered out in 1864, not 1865. Further, I've seen no record that he served during Price's Raid. He was known to embellish his past: for example, he claimed he was a scout for Custer and that his epilepsy was caused by "constant, prolonged and unnecessary guard duty" at Camp Douglas in 1862. <Harold Shecter, Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal. (New York:, Little, 2015), pp. 9, 177.>

Last edited by a moderator:

Soldier Boy

Private

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I have a strong suspicion that if I could think of the name or nickname of someone known for his dietary habits during a search for vengeance in the Rocky Mountains, the other questions would be fairly easy to research.

But I'm coming up with absolutely nothing.

ami

Major General
Super Moderator
Answers:
1. John Jeremiah "Liver Eating" Johnston (Will accept Johnson or Garrison as surnames).
2. Jeremiah Johnson.
3. 2nd Colorado Cavalry.

Sources:
https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=91019
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2005-aug-21-me-then21-story.html

Edit - Several players answered with the name of Alferd Packer. Packer did have an unusual diet, at least one movie was made about him, and he did serve during the Civil War. However, the question also added the clues that the correct answer would have to be someone who served during Price's Raid in 1864 and was discharged in 1865, and Packer does not fit those clues.

hoosier

Second edit - Since WJC missed this question, we once again have a seven-way tie for first place in the summer trivia game.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.