Trivia 8-13-19 Bullet Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The modest brick home was commandeered to be used as the Federal Command Post while the Carter family, and two neighboring families, took refuge in the basement. At 4 PM on November 30, 1864, General John Bell Hood gave the order for the Confederate Army of Tennessee CSA to attack the breastworks held by the Federal troops in Franklin. The battle that ensued is now called "the Gettysburg of the West". The 1,000 bullet holes that today remain in the side of the house testify to the ferocity of the fighting. Indeed, the Carter house is the most bullet-damaged building that remains standing from the entire Civil War.

This Registered National Historic Landmark is now open to the public and serves as a memorial to the Carter Family and to the countless heroes in the Battle of Franklin. Visitors tour the house with a guide who explains the rich history of this tragic site.

1565698609291.png

Oh my. We just had a most bullet damaged building Question a few weeks ago. The Carter House was the answer. Most sources either show 1,000 battle scars or over 1,000 battle scars. The only specific number source I could find described a small 10' x 15' outbuilding having 167 bullet holes. But that number was only for that small building.

Many trivia players used the American Heritage site as their source on the recent question. It states 1,000 visible bullet holes. So if that site was a good source for that question, it should be acceptable for this question.

I like to spend some time after I post my answer in researching the question subject. After the prior question, I found no site that states a specific number of battle damage/bullet holes.

American Heritage 1,000 bullet holes source

Since the question asks for “bullet holes and damage” found on “the carter house property”, I am assuming it is asking for the all structures on the property known as the Carter House and the question also asks for damage (bullet damage?) and having never been there this is the best I can figure it out.
Most sources agree there are 1,000 bullet holes (although some state over 1,000) on the property - but when I looked for exact numbers this is what I found - -
The wooden structure attached to the farm office building where the business of the farm took place sustained 207 bullet holes. {1}
The smokehouse 167 bullet holes. {2}
To quote my 1st source - “In all, over 1,000 bullet holes can be seen throughout the historic site.” {1}

1. http://rutherfordtnhistory.org/carter-house-association-acquires-key-part-of-franklin-battlefield/
2. “Insider Guide to Nashville” - Jackie Sheckler Finch, page 151

I could not find a reliable exact number. One source said "1500", but as it had the number of casualties wrong also, it is not reliable. Other sources reach form "several hundred" to "several thousand" bullet holes. Maybe somewhere an account exists where someone counted each and every hole, but I could not find that one within reasonable time. And regarding the time I spent the other day, finding out about the exact name of the Cincinnati baseball club at the time when Dodds played, which then turned out as being unnecessary, I will go with a vague number here too.

My final answer is "more than 1000".

Sources:

1565704548614.png

1565704722998.png

1565704784410.png

1565704864706.png

the Carter House property are a living testimony to the furious battlethat took place on Nov. 30, 1864. Notonly does the home itself hold the marks of the bullets, but the woodframe office building, where thebusiness of this working farm tookplace, is riddled with 207 bullet holes,some of which entered on one sideand exited on the other. The Carterfarm office has the most bullet holesof any building still standing from theCivil War. Nearby is the bricksmokehouse, which also bears thescars from the gunfire. In all, over1,000 bullet holes can be seen throughout
source: bcwrt.nalweb.net/Pages_12-06.pdf

Over 1,000
Regards
David
Even today, the buildings remaining on the Carter House property are a living testimony to the furious battle that took place on Nov. 30, 1864. Not only does the home itself hold the marks of the bullets, but the wood frame office building, where the business of this working farm took place, is riddled with 207 bullet holes, some of which entered on one side and exited on the other. The Carter farm office has the most bullet holes of any building still standing from the Civil War. Nearby is the brick smokehouse, which also bears the scars from the gunfire. In all, over 1,000 bullet holes can be seen throughout the historic site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back