8-11-21 Who am I and what's my connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I was a veteran of many Civil War battles, including Wilson’s Creek, Antietam and Brice’s Cross Roads where I tangled with Nathan Bedford Forrest and lost.

Who am I?
What connection did I have with the Battle of the Little Big Horn?

credit: @Ole Miss

You must be referring to Marcus Reno, the Michael maligned officer who chose not to get has unit killed along with Custers.

He instead stayed about 4 miles away, still took a couple dozen casualties but essentially he did what exactly what Custer should have done: refused to lead 200 men against 4000.

He died in disgrace and was buried in an unmarked grave although subsequently, in the 1960's, an army board examined his case and completely exonerated him.

Edit - Reno paricipated in the Battle of Antietam, but not Wilson's Creek or Brice's Cross Roads.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Samuel Sturgis, who commanded a division in Burnside's Ninth Corps at Antietam before transferring to the West where he led the expedition that was virtually destroyed by Forrest at Brice's Crossroads. Despite this disgraceful showing, Sturgis was senior enough to receive a postwar appointment as colonel of the Seventh Cavalry though he never actually led the regiment in the field, leaving that job to his lieutenant colonel, George Custer. Although this saved Sturgis from another disastrous defeat he nevertheless lost his eldest son in the battle, a recent West Point graduate who was serving as one of Custer's lieutenants.

I was a veteran of many Civil War battles, including Wilson’s Creek, Antietam and Brice’s Cross Roads where I tangled with Nathan Bedford Forrest and lost.

Who am I?
What connection did I have with the Battle of the Little Big Horn?

credit: @Ole Miss
Samuel D. Sturgis (1822-1889), who later became Colonel and Commanding Officer of the US 7th Cavalry and Lt. Colonel George A. Custer's superior. He was on detached duty in St. Louis in the summer of 1876, so that Custer commanded in the ill-fated campaign against the Lakota, Arapaho, and Northern Cheyenne in Montana Territory. His son, 2nd Lt. James G. Sturgis, Company E, was among those killed in the Battle of Little Bighorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back