7th Texas Infantry

Since today is the anniversary of Franklin here are a couple members of the 7th Texas who were there.

7844_10151832631938794_1642467660_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

Pvt. William Calloway Reid. Born March 5, 1823 in Walker County, Alabama. He married Marinda Lomida Cook on October 29, 1842 in Blount County, Alabama, they having ten children. Enlisted February 15, 1863 in Upshur County, Co. K, 7th Texas Infantry. He is described as 39 years old, gray eyed, sandy hair, fair, 6' tall, and occupation a farmer. The company muster roll for Sept. & Oct. 1863 listed him as absent, sick in hospital. Apparently Reid was killed or mortally wounded at Franklin and is presumably buried in the McGavock Confederate Cemetery.

Company K, the tenth company, was formed in early 1863 from new recruits and conscripts added to the regiment from October 1862 to March 1863. The recruiting increased the regiment's strength by 216 men, 87 of which were placed in Co. K.

5247031223_ec3548fc14_o.gif

https://franklindescendants.wordpress.com/2010/12/09/james-knox-bivins/

Post war photo of Capt. James Knox Bivins of Company B. The following is his obituary in the Confederate Veteran.

Capt. Bivins 1.jpg

Capt. Bivins 2.jpg

At Franklin the 7th Texas was thrown out as skirmishers in the brigade's advance. Acting regimental commander Captain John W. Brown was wounded and captured. According to Lundberg's book on the brigade, the Seventh suffered a loss of 19 killed, 29 wounded, and 28 captured, for a total of 76. Their exact strength at Franklin is not known but it was probably very small. The 10th Texas went into battle with only 150 men and the other regiments in Granbury's Brigade were just as depleted. It was said that 1,100 men had reported for roll call in the brigade that morning and suffered around 640 casualties in the charge. Capt. Edward Broughton (mentioned here on the first page) assumed command of the remnants of the brigade, he slightly wounded himself.

Adjutant George Blaine of the Seventh was buried at a cousin's residence in Spring Hill. Prior to the battle he had told his body servant, Uncle Nick Blaine, that he wished to be taken there if killed or wounded and Uncle Nick fulfilled his wish. Ellen White, a small girl at Spring Hill, recorded that there was "no military honors, no minister to conduct a religious service, and no crowd to follow him to his last resting place. Only three small children looked on in awed silence as their father helped the faithful servant lower the body into the grave and fill in the earth." Uncle Nick "shook with sobs and tears rained down his face."

Last edited:
I should probably also plug Danny Sessums' new two-volume history of Granbury's Texas Brigade here, A Force to be Reckoned With, based on his doctoral dissertation of the same name.

The first volume was just released this last May, which covers the formation of the brigade's regiments and their actions up to early 1863.

51pqxcsgcyl-jpg.163555.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072B88XNB/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

http://dannysessums.com/

One of our members here (the name escapes me) who is well-versed on the 7th Texas has said that Company A was not named the "Waco Guards" after all, does anyone know the real name of the company?

By the way, the second volume of Danny Sessums' history of Granbury's Brigade is available for purchase.

One of our members here (the name escapes me) who is well-versed on the 7th Texas has said that Company A was not named the "Waco Guards" after all, does anyone know the real name of the company?

By the way, the second volume of Danny Sessums' history of Granbury's Brigade is available for purchase.
I just got my copies of Sessums' two volume history of the brigade. I plan to get started on them as soon as I finish Powell's Chickamauga trilogy.

View attachment 237661
Captain Edward Thomas "Tom" Broughton, Jr.

Edward Thomas "Tom" Broughton Jr. was born April 3, 1834 to Edward Thomas Broughton and Rachel Winborne (Walker) Broughton. During his childhood, he moved with his parents and siblings from Monroe County Alabama to Ouachita County, Arkansas in 1842, then to Jasper County, Texas in 1847. By 1850 he was living in Cherokee County, Texas near Old Larissa. Then about 1852, the Broughtons moved to Smith County, Texas near Old Omen.

Tom married Mary Elizabeth Douglas (daughter of Rev. Alexander Douglas of Smith County, Texas) on June 6, 1856 in Smith County, Tx. The Broughton couple had seven children. Tom supported his family with his law practice which continued to grow steadily in Athens, but in 1859, he and his brother D. W. moved their practice to Kaufman, Texas where they partnered with another attorney, R. H. English.

In 1861 he joined the Confederate Army, enlisting in a group called the Texas Wide Awakes which was organized in Kaufman County, in Captain Jack Wharton's company. The company mustered in Marshall and in October moved to Hopkinsville, Kentucky, where it became part of the 7th Texas Infantry commanded by Col. John Gregg. Broughton became Captain of Company C. The 7th Texas was sent to Fort Donaldson, Tennessee where a four-day fight ended with the Confederate fort surrendering to General U. S. Grant. As a prisoner of war, Tom spent time at Camp, Camp Chase and Johnson's Island near Sandusky, Ohio.

In September of 1862, he was taken to Vicksburg where on the 26th, he was exchanged. After his release, Tom came home briefly to recruit and then in December 1862 he went to Port Hudson, Louisiana where he joined confederate forces to battle Farragut's bombardment of the fort with gunboats. The Battle of Raymond, May 12, 1863, had been an engagement Gregg's Brigade thought they would easily win. However, Confederate scouts had miscalculated the size of the approaching Union forces and instead of a single brigade, found themselves facing the entire Seventeenth Corps, numbering some 12,000 soldiers. Against such odds, there was no way the Confederates could win. After five or more hours of intense fighting, General John Gregg called for a retreat. As Gregg and his men retired from the battlefield, they looked back on what could only be described as a horrific scene. Approximately 335 Confederates, including 25 officers and 300 enlisted men, lay dead or wounded. Incapacitated, the wounded had to watch as their brigade filed from the battlefield, leaving them in the hands of the enemy. By nighttime, as the roll was called, an additional 190 men were reported captured or missing in action. Captain Broughton, 7th Texas Infantry, was last seen leading his men in an attack near Fourteen Mile Creek. Three days later Colonel Granbury, commander of the 7th Texas, reported, "I omitted to state that Captain E. T. Broughton, Company C, was among the last to leave the creek, having animated his men throughout the affair with his presence and bearing. He is among the missing." He had been captured near Fourteen Mile Creek and taken to the Oak Tree Hotel, a makeshift prison in Raymond. Here, he was thrown in the room with another prisoner, Sgt. Patrick Griffin, 10th Tennessee Irish. Broughton and Griffin were no strangers. Both had been captured at Fort Donelson. In a few days, along with other prisoners taken during the Battle of Raymond, Broughton and Griffin were loaded on a passenger boat heading north. Once again, a northern prison awaited them. Griffin managed to escape while docked at Two-Mile Island near Memphis. Eventually, he worked his way back to his regiment. Broughton was not so lucky. He was transported back to Johnson's Island where he was incarcerated for another year. During this time, he fell ill with smallpox, an illness that left him almost blind. It was in this physical condition that he was again exchanged in May of 1864.

On May 8, 1864, Broughton was exchanged and returned to his regiment, which had spent the winter quartered at Tunnel Hill, Georgia. In spite of his weakened condition, Broughton continued to fight through the Battle of Atlanta then moved on with General John Bell Hood's army toward Nashville. On November 30, 1864, after General Hiram B. Granbury was shot from his horse during the Battle of Franklin, Broughton took command of "Granbury's Texas Brigade." Following the Tennesse Campaign, the nearly blind and wounded Broughton suffering from "obstinate chronic conjunctivitis and general debility" resigned his command on January 16, 1865. He was granted leave of absence pending action on his resignation.

Broughton returned home and resumed his law practice. In 1869, he was elected to the Texas state senate, representing the 22nd District. He held the post for two terms and would have successfully run for another term but failing health forced him to the sidelines. Physically, Broughton never recovered from the illnesses he contracted on Johnson's Island. E. T. Broughton passed away in Sherman, Texas, shortly before his 40th birthday. His obituary in The Sherman Courier February 12, 1874, read, "He won his military title by service in the Confederate Army, answering to the first call made by the troops, and remained by his flag he loved until all was lost, save honor."

http://granburystexasbrigade.org/gallery/heroes/officers/broughton.html

Broughton's letters home can be read here: http://www.battleofraymond.org/broughton.htm
Been reading more of Lundberg's book on Granbury's Brigade; it shocks me that, after Granbury's promotion, no one seemed to be put up for Colonel of the regiment. Closest was Rhoads Fisher, who was made Major around the time of Franklin. I guess it was by that point too small a unit to have a Colonel, considering they had around 100 men at Bald Hill and 76 at Franklin. If that weren't the case, there's a strong possibility Broughton would have gotten the Colonelcy, given his rank in the regiment. But that is hypothetical.
I have seen in some places the regiment being listed as consolidated with the 10th Texas at Franklin, but I think this is only a thing from John Tiller, which is off about a lot of units. Though, by that point in the war, they were so understrength and lacking in field officers they should have been merged at that point.

Gregg’s brigade had fought so well, the Federal commander believed he had been attacked by a division
Units that McPherson saw on the field that day:

3rd KY Mounted Infantry (WHT Walker’s Brigade)

1st Mississippi Cavalry
20th Mississippi Mounted Infantry

Gregg’s Brigade

That’s units from three brigades.

Assuming he had intel on brigade strengths, WHT Walker had 1100 men, Gregg had 3200 men, and Wirt Adams had 800 men, or 5100 men. That aligns closely with what he sent back to Grant. And you have to keep in mind he was trying to convince Grant that this force retreating in the direction of Jackson signaled that an army was gathering in their rear and that Grant should turn his whole force in that direction to deal with it.

Last edited:
I am looking up information on the officers of the regiment for my thread on Granbury's Brigade. I know an Orren P. Forrest commanded 7th Texas at Nashville, after so many officers had been killed, wounded, or captured at Franklin. However, I have no info on him, nor which unit he commanded. My only source for the officers and their unit organizations is Lundberg's appendix in his book on the brigade, which seems to only contain the initial officers of the regiments whence they were organized.
In addition, I know little regarding the commander of Company K, the new regiment formed of 87 new recruits following Donelson. Was it Captain Forrest, or was it another officer? No clue. Would love help on this and other infomation on the other officers of the unit throughout the war.

I am looking up information on the officers of the regiment for my thread on Granbury's Brigade. I know an Orren P. Forrest commanded 7th Texas at Nashville, after so many officers had been killed, wounded, or captured at Franklin. However, I have no info on him, nor which unit he commanded. My only source for the officers and their unit organizations is Lundberg's appendix in his book on the brigade, which seems to only contain the initial officers of the regiments whence they were organized.
In addition, I know little regarding the commander of Company K, the new regiment formed of 87 new recruits following Donelson. Was it Captain Forrest, or was it another officer? No clue. Would love help on this and other infomation on the other officers of the unit throughout the war.

The authority to enlist a tenth Co was only given on Oct 8, 1862, at which time a number of officers went back to Texas to recruit. 10/8/62 Co K [10th Co needed to complete the Regt] organized by S O # [235] A&IGO Richmond

In mid Oct 62, Granbury, Van Zandt & Capt's Broughton & Alexander left for Tex to recruit. As a result, from Oct-Jan some 216 men were added to the Regt including 87 conscripts & volunteers that Van Zandt had formed into Co K.

Co K was recruited in the fall & winter of 1862-63. The 7th Texas originally had only 9 Co's when mustered in Nov 1861, & the tenth Co (K) was added after a recruiting drive in Texas lasting from OCT 1862 to Feb 63. The Regt was reorganized at Port Hudson on Feb 10, 1863, at which time Co K was officially added, with Capt William L. Coppedge as cdr. The men of this Co came from various parts of Texas

2/10/63 A 10th Co added [Co K], & 200 recruits to reconstitute as a separate Regt [but see 4/9 below-Capt Coppedge not yet arrived]
Having been strengthened with new recruits, the 7th​ Texas was finally reorganized & reconstituted as a Regt on 10 Feb 1863, & placed in the Bgde of Gen Gregg.
Recruits gained by 7th​ Tex:
B=23
C=10
D=24
E=10
F=1
G=4
H=38
I=20
K=87
Total 197

3/22/63 Port Hudson- Capt Davis writing to Sec of War about serving in 22nd Tex Infy after escaping capture at Ft Donelson-sent to Texas & refilled my Co-it & another similar Co were then put into 22nd Tex Infy. -returned here but my former position is taken & per 3/2/63 surgeon certificate I'm unable to do my duties & must resign

Granbury endorses resignation as in best interest of Regt-his Co is only a skeleton & upon his resignation I can consolidate it with another skeleton Co & under 10/8/62 AIG special orders I think I can get an unattached Co from Texas to replace it. Lt Col Moody being on recruiting service in Texas will be advised accordingly

Capt Davis 1862 history

3/4/62 Capt Davis Co E [escaped capture] paid

3/7/62 Richmond-Capt Davis signs receipt for funds from QM-signs Capt Co E 7th Tex recruiting officer

7/5 Hqs Tyler, Texas S O #9-Capt Davis of Col Hubbard's Regt [22nd Tex] hereby relieved of duty for the time being to go to Richmond with dispatches-by order Gen McCulloch

7/31-pd for expenses in bringing dispatches from Tyler, Tex

7/30-pd salary as Capt Co E 7th​ Tex [apparently at Richmond]

8/25-pd mileage travelling under orders [Gen McCulloch] from Little Rock to Washington, Ark-signed Capt Davis, CSA [no Regt]-rec'd at Washington, Ark

8/28 Capt Davis ordered back to his old Regt [7th Tex] from [22nd Tex]

9/13 The Texas Republican-Marshall-Capt Davis, acting under instructions from Col Gregg, calls on members of the 7th Texas to rendezvous at Tyler by the 22nd, preparing to join their comrades at Vicksburg. They are requested to bring with them as much warm winter clothing as they can procure.

9/20-DALLAS HERALD, Capt Jack Davis, acting under instructions from Col John Gregg, calls upon the members of the 7th Texas, to rendezvous at Tyler by the 22nd, preparatory to joining their comrades at Vicksburg. They are requested to bring with them as much warm winter clothing as they can procure.

10/12 Jackson, Ms-Capt Jack Davis to Honorable Reagan-arrived here this past evening & once again find myself with my old Regt…will leave here in a few minutes for Holly Springs for the purpose as I understand of reinforcing…… [Gen Price]. I write to request that you & others at Richmond will see that justice is done in the appointment of field officers for this Regt [angling for promotion it appears] if indeed the question has not already been determined. Col Gregg has sent to Richmond a statement of facts to which I refer you for information on the subject. I believe I am entitled to the position of Lt Col, in my opinion, certainly to that of Major as I was first with my Co at the place of rendezvous…. Since my desires have been….

11/1 forwarded to Sec of War by Reagan saying Davis is Capt in Col [now Gen] Gregg's 7th Texas

10/29 Hqs for Ex-Prisoners, etc., Jackson-Special Orders
By order of Gen Pemberton, the following Special Order is made:
Col Granbury & Maj Van Zandt, cdg recruiting officers in Tex, are hereby required to make diligent inquiry for all prisoners on parole & all persons absent w/o leave, or by furlough [except furloughs due to sickness from Dept Hqs] from Co's, Bns, Regts, etc. serving within the limits of the Dept of Ms & E La; & to cause such paroled prisoners to be returned to these Hqs & each absentee to be returned to their respective corps & all recruiting officers within the limits of Texas & under the command of Col Granbury or Maj Van Zandt are charged with the duty of assisting & collecting & causing to return the said paroled prisoners & absentees. & these officers are authorized to use such force as may be under their command to compel their return. & upon the refusal of such to return, where therein notified, it shall be the duty of the officer notifying them to return the names, Co's, Regts & residences of the persons refusing, whereupon they will be published & proceeded against as deserters.
Printed in the Texas Republican

11/23/62 Transcript from Texas Heritage reads:
11/23/62 Hqs Ex. Prisoners, Jackson, Gen Gregg to Capt Van Zandt, Marshall, Tex-I send you within the list of names I paroled previous. See if you can forward them to ____Hqs.

Transcript from Texas Heritage reads:
On same page-Wm Moody to [Van Zandt]-
Dear Capt-I have written to you but have received no answer.
I write again to let you know that we have at length the decision in our case by Sec of War touching rank in our Regt. It is decided that you & I are of equal rank & must determine seniority by lot. That your muster is same date as mine inasmuch as yours was postponed by the mustering officer
Gen Gregg says Capt Davis' muster was also postponed by him, so I infer it is between Capt D, you & me.
I am still at work here, day & night-slight cessation for meals & sleep-no Sundays
My health is much improved & I threaten to go to my Co
The Gen thinks I cannot stand exposure however for a month to come
Our folks are … … … they ever get.
You … … … hurry up.
My love … …
Truly Yours-W H Moody

3/22/63 Port Hudson-Capt Davis writing to Sec of War about serving in 22nd Tex Infy after escaping capture at Ft Donelson-sent to Texas & refilled my Co-it & another similar Co were then put into 22nd Tex Infy...returned here but my former position is taken & per 3/2/63 surgeon certificate I'm unable to do my duties & must resign

Granbury endorses resignation as in best interest of Regt-his Co is only a skeleton & upon his resignation I can consolidate it with another skeleton Co & under 10/8 AIG special orders I think I can get an unattached Co from Texas to replace it. Lt Col Moody being on recruiting service in Texas will be advised accordingly

S. M. Warner, O. S., Co C, 7th Tex. Regt.

Stanley M. Warner enlisted on 1 Oct 1861, as 1st Sgt of the "Johnson Guards", Co C, 7th Texas Infy-He was captured at Fort Donelson, but escaped after ten weeks & made his way back to Texas. Warner thereafter joined the 22nd Texas Infy as 2nd Lt of Co G (under Capt Jack Davis, former cdr of Co E of the 7th Texas)

6/2/62 HOUSTON TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH---We had the pleasure the other day of meeting with Stanley Warner, Esq., formerly of the Tyler Reporter. He was in Gregg's 7th​ Texas Regt, which was taken prisoners at Donelson. He was taken to Chicago with the balance of the Regt, but made his escape & got off safely, made his way through the lines, & came home. He is here to report for duty, to the Hqs of the Dept of Texas.

Texas Heritage museum-
1/19/63 Shreveport-Van Zandt to wife-[returning to Regiment at Port Hudson with recruits from Texas] We arrived yesterday at sundown. I found nearly all the boys who came ahead of me scattered all over the town & most were drunk.
We will go down on Steamer Pauline this evening, but I'm afraid we will not
I have heard no news since I came here except that from Ark Post. I am afraid it is another Ft Donelson affair. It is reported that Capt Richardson is killed, but I hope not.
I will write again from Alexandria
PS-I have just seen one of Richardson's Co-He is not killed
We will not get off till morning

1/22 Steamer Pauline- Van Zandt to wife-We will reach Alexandria tonight. We are very crowded; besides the men of our own Regt there are a good many of the 10th​ Texas & a good many other passengers & also 180 horses.
We should reach Port Hudson on Sat. [1/24]

2/10 Port Hudson, Van Zandt to wife-…I had my first Bgde drill-the first ever attended-I had charge of our Regt & the 9th​ La Bn who drills with our Regt. There were 4 other Regts out as well.

2/15 Port Hudson, Van Zandt to wife-…We are surprised Col Granbury has not reached here before this. I suppose he changed his notion after I left & concluded to come with those who will start on the 10th​. If so, they ought to be down here this week

2/28 Port Hudson, Van Zandt to wife-…I have seen Lt Col Moody & learned he will leave for Texas in a day or two & will be absent for a couple of months. I think just as much of him as I ever did & I think you will like him better than any one of our officers of the Regt
Got your letter brought by Col Granbury
You asked about our time in Shreveport—a good many of our boys got drunk but I did not leave a single one of them—if any were left there it must have been some of Col Earp's men, but I don't think so. [10th​ Tex Cav]

3/3 Col Granbury is trying to get off to see about his wife. Had a nice dinner-Gen Gregg, Col Granbury, Col Moody all took dinner with us. Col Moody says he will call on you when he passes through Marshall; he got off under a War Dept order sending officers whose services are not immediately needed to their district to recruit. Rust's Bgde is expected any day.
One case of measles in Coppedge's Co

3/6/63 Port Hudson-I am officer of the day quite often as there are so many field officers of the Bgde absent. Within the last 2-3 days, our force has been increased by the arrival of Rust's Bgde. I do not know the number of his men but understand it is quite a large Bgde
Gen K Smith passed through here yesterday en route for Alexandria. A good many men of Gen Lee's army pass through here on the way home or back to the army after furloughs. The papers say he is granting furloughs to 2 men & 1 officer of every company.
We have been living very well since Col Granbury got here. The meat he bought has helped us very much.
Capt Alexander's Co has been under small pox quarantine for 4 weeks.
Capt Jack Davis has offered his resignation due to ill health.

3/28 Col Granbury came back today very low spirited since his wife passed away about 10 days ago in Mobile where she was being treated. He had gone to Montgomery after her & brought her down to Mobile for treatment when she died.

4/3 Capt Coppedge not here yet

Khleber Miller Van Zandt Papers
Texas Tech
4/9/63 Port Hudson, Van Zandt to Mom-… …Capt Coppedge has not arrived here yet. He was stopped at Fort DeRussey due to some irregularity in his papers. When he started again, the Yank gunboats had now cut off the river route, & he is coming by land. Heard from him last at Ft Adams-Two of the men with him have been left on the road sick
Capt W.L. Coppedge transferred to 7th Texas Infy from 14th​ Tex Infy
William Lindsay Coppedge, Capt Co K 7th​ Texas Infy died of chronic diarrhea in Afton, Ala which was in Barbour County-
Co "K", (various counties, added 10 Feb 63): William L. Coppedge

The authority to enlist a tenth Co was only given on Oct 8, 1862, at which time a number of officers went back to Texas to recruit. 10/8/62 Co K [10th Co needed to complete the Regt] organized by S O # [235] A&IGO Richmond

In mid Oct 62, Granbury, Van Zandt & Capt's Broughton & Alexander left for Tex to recruit. As a result, from Oct-Jan some 216 men were added to the Regt including 87 conscripts & volunteers that Van Zandt had formed into Co K.

Co K was recruited in the fall & winter of 1862-63. The 7th Texas originally had only 9 Co's when mustered in Nov 1861, & the tenth Co (K) was added after a recruiting drive in Texas lasting from OCT 1862 to Feb 63. The Regt was reorganized at Port Hudson on Feb 10, 1863, at which time Co K was officially added, with Capt William L. Coppedge as cdr. The men of this Co came from various parts of Texas

2/10/63 A 10th Co added [Co K], & 200 recruits to reconstitute as a separate Regt [but see 4/9 below-Capt Coppedge not yet arrived]
Having been strengthened with new recruits, the 7th​ Texas was finally reorganized & reconstituted as a Regt on 10 Feb 1863, & placed in the Bgde of Gen Gregg.
Recruits gained by 7th​ Tex:
B=23
C=10
D=24
E=10
F=1
G=4
H=38
I=20
K=87
Total 197

3/22/63 Port Hudson- Capt Davis writing to Sec of War about serving in 22nd Tex Infy after escaping capture at Ft Donelson-sent to Texas & refilled my Co-it & another similar Co were then put into 22nd Tex Infy. -returned here but my former position is taken & per 3/2/63 surgeon certificate I'm unable to do my duties & must resign

Granbury endorses resignation as in best interest of Regt-his Co is only a skeleton & upon his resignation I can consolidate it with another skeleton Co & under 10/8/62 AIG special orders I think I can get an unattached Co from Texas to replace it. Lt Col Moody being on recruiting service in Texas will be advised accordingly

Capt Davis 1862 history

3/4/62 Capt Davis Co E [escaped capture] paid

3/7/62 Richmond-Capt Davis signs receipt for funds from QM-signs Capt Co E 7th Tex recruiting officer

7/5 Hqs Tyler, Texas S O #9-Capt Davis of Col Hubbard's Regt [22nd Tex] hereby relieved of duty for the time being to go to Richmond with dispatches-by order Gen McCulloch

7/31-pd for expenses in bringing dispatches from Tyler, Tex

7/30-pd salary as Capt Co E 7th​ Tex [apparently at Richmond]

8/25-pd mileage travelling under orders [Gen McCulloch] from Little Rock to Washington, Ark-signed Capt Davis, CSA [no Regt]-rec'd at Washington, Ark

8/28 Capt Davis ordered back to his old Regt [7th Tex] from [22nd Tex]

9/13 The Texas Republican-Marshall-Capt Davis, acting under instructions from Col Gregg, calls on members of the 7th Texas to rendezvous at Tyler by the 22nd, preparing to join their comrades at Vicksburg. They are requested to bring with them as much warm winter clothing as they can procure.

9/20-DALLAS HERALD, Capt Jack Davis, acting under instructions from Col John Gregg, calls upon the members of the 7th Texas, to rendezvous at Tyler by the 22nd, preparatory to joining their comrades at Vicksburg. They are requested to bring with them as much warm winter clothing as they can procure.

10/12 Jackson, Ms-Capt Jack Davis to Honorable Reagan-arrived here this past evening & once again find myself with my old Regt…will leave here in a few minutes for Holly Springs for the purpose as I understand of reinforcing…… [Gen Price]. I write to request that you & others at Richmond will see that justice is done in the appointment of field officers for this Regt [angling for promotion it appears] if indeed the question has not already been determined. Col Gregg has sent to Richmond a statement of facts to which I refer you for information on the subject. I believe I am entitled to the position of Lt Col, in my opinion, certainly to that of Major as I was first with my Co at the place of rendezvous…. Since my desires have been….

11/1 forwarded to Sec of War by Reagan saying Davis is Capt in Col [now Gen] Gregg's 7th Texas

10/29 Hqs for Ex-Prisoners, etc., Jackson-Special Orders
By order of Gen Pemberton, the following Special Order is made:
Col Granbury & Maj Van Zandt, cdg recruiting officers in Tex, are hereby required to make diligent inquiry for all prisoners on parole & all persons absent w/o leave, or by furlough [except furloughs due to sickness from Dept Hqs] from Co's, Bns, Regts, etc. serving within the limits of the Dept of Ms & E La; & to cause such paroled prisoners to be returned to these Hqs & each absentee to be returned to their respective corps & all recruiting officers within the limits of Texas & under the command of Col Granbury or Maj Van Zandt are charged with the duty of assisting & collecting & causing to return the said paroled prisoners & absentees. & these officers are authorized to use such force as may be under their command to compel their return. & upon the refusal of such to return, where therein notified, it shall be the duty of the officer notifying them to return the names, Co's, Regts & residences of the persons refusing, whereupon they will be published & proceeded against as deserters.
Printed in the Texas Republican

11/23/62 Transcript from Texas Heritage reads:
11/23/62 Hqs Ex. Prisoners, Jackson, Gen Gregg to Capt Van Zandt, Marshall, Tex-I send you within the list of names I paroled previous. See if you can forward them to ____Hqs.

Transcript from Texas Heritage reads:
On same page-Wm Moody to [Van Zandt]-
Dear Capt-I have written to you but have received no answer.
I write again to let you know that we have at length the decision in our case by Sec of War touching rank in our Regt. It is decided that you & I are of equal rank & must determine seniority by lot. That your muster is same date as mine inasmuch as yours was postponed by the mustering officer
Gen Gregg says Capt Davis' muster was also postponed by him, so I infer it is between Capt D, you & me.
I am still at work here, day & night-slight cessation for meals & sleep-no Sundays
My health is much improved & I threaten to go to my Co
The Gen thinks I cannot stand exposure however for a month to come
Our folks are … … … they ever get.
You … … … hurry up.
My love … …
Truly Yours-W H Moody

3/22/63 Port Hudson-Capt Davis writing to Sec of War about serving in 22nd Tex Infy after escaping capture at Ft Donelson-sent to Texas & refilled my Co-it & another similar Co were then put into 22nd Tex Infy...returned here but my former position is taken & per 3/2/63 surgeon certificate I'm unable to do my duties & must resign

Granbury endorses resignation as in best interest of Regt-his Co is only a skeleton & upon his resignation I can consolidate it with another skeleton Co & under 10/8 AIG special orders I think I can get an unattached Co from Texas to replace it. Lt Col Moody being on recruiting service in Texas will be advised accordingly

S. M. Warner, O. S., Co C, 7th Tex. Regt.

Stanley M. Warner enlisted on 1 Oct 1861, as 1st Sgt of the "Johnson Guards", Co C, 7th Texas Infy-He was captured at Fort Donelson, but escaped after ten weeks & made his way back to Texas. Warner thereafter joined the 22nd Texas Infy as 2nd Lt of Co G (under Capt Jack Davis, former cdr of Co E of the 7th Texas)

6/2/62 HOUSTON TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH---We had the pleasure the other day of meeting with Stanley Warner, Esq., formerly of the Tyler Reporter. He was in Gregg's 7th​ Texas Regt, which was taken prisoners at Donelson. He was taken to Chicago with the balance of the Regt, but made his escape & got off safely, made his way through the lines, & came home. He is here to report for duty, to the Hqs of the Dept of Texas.

Texas Heritage museum-
1/19/63 Shreveport-Van Zandt to wife-[returning to Regiment at Port Hudson with recruits from Texas] We arrived yesterday at sundown. I found nearly all the boys who came ahead of me scattered all over the town & most were drunk.
We will go down on Steamer Pauline this evening, but I'm afraid we will not
I have heard no news since I came here except that from Ark Post. I am afraid it is another Ft Donelson affair. It is reported that Capt Richardson is killed, but I hope not.
I will write again from Alexandria
PS-I have just seen one of Richardson's Co-He is not killed
We will not get off till morning

1/22 Steamer Pauline- Van Zandt to wife-We will reach Alexandria tonight. We are very crowded; besides the men of our own Regt there are a good many of the 10th​ Texas & a good many other passengers & also 180 horses.
We should reach Port Hudson on Sat. [1/24]

2/10 Port Hudson, Van Zandt to wife-…I had my first Bgde drill-the first ever attended-I had charge of our Regt & the 9th​ La Bn who drills with our Regt. There were 4 other Regts out as well.

2/15 Port Hudson, Van Zandt to wife-…We are surprised Col Granbury has not reached here before this. I suppose he changed his notion after I left & concluded to come with those who will start on the 10th​. If so, they ought to be down here this week

2/28 Port Hudson, Van Zandt to wife-…I have seen Lt Col Moody & learned he will leave for Texas in a day or two & will be absent for a couple of months. I think just as much of him as I ever did & I think you will like him better than any one of our officers of the Regt
Got your letter brought by Col Granbury
You asked about our time in Shreveport—a good many of our boys got drunk but I did not leave a single one of them—if any were left there it must have been some of Col Earp's men, but I don't think so. [10th​ Tex Cav]

3/3 Col Granbury is trying to get off to see about his wife. Had a nice dinner-Gen Gregg, Col Granbury, Col Moody all took dinner with us. Col Moody says he will call on you when he passes through Marshall; he got off under a War Dept order sending officers whose services are not immediately needed to their district to recruit. Rust's Bgde is expected any day.
One case of measles in Coppedge's Co

3/6/63 Port Hudson-I am officer of the day quite often as there are so many field officers of the Bgde absent. Within the last 2-3 days, our force has been increased by the arrival of Rust's Bgde. I do not know the number of his men but understand it is quite a large Bgde
Gen K Smith passed through here yesterday en route for Alexandria. A good many men of Gen Lee's army pass through here on the way home or back to the army after furloughs. The papers say he is granting furloughs to 2 men & 1 officer of every company.
We have been living very well since Col Granbury got here. The meat he bought has helped us very much.
Capt Alexander's Co has been under small pox quarantine for 4 weeks.
Capt Jack Davis has offered his resignation due to ill health.

3/28 Col Granbury came back today very low spirited since his wife passed away about 10 days ago in Mobile where she was being treated. He had gone to Montgomery after her & brought her down to Mobile for treatment when she died.

4/3 Capt Coppedge not here yet

Khleber Miller Van Zandt Papers
Texas Tech
4/9/63 Port Hudson, Van Zandt to Mom-… …Capt Coppedge has not arrived here yet. He was stopped at Fort DeRussey due to some irregularity in his papers. When he started again, the Yank gunboats had now cut off the river route, & he is coming by land. Heard from him last at Ft Adams-Two of the men with him have been left on the road sick
Capt W.L. Coppedge transferred to 7th Texas Infy from 14th​ Tex Infy
William Lindsay Coppedge, Capt Co K 7th​ Texas Infy died of chronic diarrhea in Afton, Ala which was in Barbour County-
Co "K", (various counties, added 10 Feb 63): William L. Coppedge
Fantastic information you've dug up, my friend.

Back