7th Illinois at Point Lookout

AUG

Major
Retired Moderator
company-2bf_7th-2billinois-2binfantry-jpg.jpg

Company F, 7th Illinois Infantry on Point Lookout at Lookout Mountain, Chattanooga, TN, June 17, 1864.
https://bunkerhillhistory.blogspot.com/2014/12/company-f-7th-illinois-infantry.html

34255v.jpg

Another photo of soldiers from the 7th Illinois Infantry at Point Lookout on June 19, 1864.
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/cwp/item/2013647890/

After the battle of Lookout Mountain was fought the mountain became a popular tourist attraction. Many soldiers and civilians had their photograph taken specifically on the rock in the photo, known as "Point Lookout." In Late 1863 Robert "Royan" M. Linn established a photo studio at Lookout Mt. and began taking numerous photos of soldiers and civilians on Point Lookout.
Article on him here:
http://antiquephotographics.com/the-perils-of-photography-at-point-lookout-r-m-linn/

History of the 7th Illinois Volunteer Infantry:
The 7th Illinois Infantry was first mustered in at Camp Yates, Springfield, Illinois on April 25, 1861. It would go on to serve at Fort Donelson, Shiloh, and Iuka-Corinth Campaign. Was mounted on donkeys June 18, 1863 and engaged in scout and patrol duty through West Tennessee till October, participating in numerous expeditions and skirmishes. Re-enlisted as Veterans at Pulaski, Tennessee, December 22, 1863, and was mustered in January 6, 1864. Was mounted again on Feb. 27, 1864 patrolled the Tennessee River in Florence, Alabama for Forrest's command, fighting numerous skirmishes. Was dismounted on June 14, 1864 and moved to Chattanooga, TN. Saw action in the Atlanta Campaign and probably their most famous action at Allatoona Pass. Took part in Sherman's March to the Sea. Participated in the Corolinas Campaign, fighting at Salkahatchie Swamp, Bentonville and Columbia. Was mustered out at Springfield, Illinois on July 11, 1865.
http://www.illinoisgenealogy.org/civil_war/7th_illinois_infantry.htm

7th-illinois-infantry-jpg.jpg

A late war photograph of the color-gaurd of 7th Illinois Infantry, with their mascot, "Jefferson Davis."
The 7th Illinois was the largest regiment to purchase its own Henry Rifles, paying $52.50 each for them. They were armed with over 500 of them, which came in good use at Allatoona Pass, fighting at Rowett's Redoubt.

No, not in this case, but if they were carrying revolvers shoved in their pockets and bowies tucked in their belts I'd be a little suspicious :sneaky:

Funny how it's only sometimes. I wouldn't be suspicious, not in the least. Can't see a photographer hauling around a box of knives and pistols for the right moment. :nah disagree:

Great photos. Regarding the first: Whenever I see a picture like this I am always struck by the various ways the men wear their head gear. The second photo is striking just because all but one of the men have removed their head gear.
I've seen the photo of the boys with the Henrys many times and I accept it as genuine. However, my eye is always drawn to the guy with his rifle over his thigh--pointing at the soldier on the right who seems to be thinking: "Point that somewhere else, PLEASE". They probably staged it that way on purpose, but I don't like foolish horseplay with firearms. I like the firearms just fine--but not the horseplay.

Great photos. Regarding the first: Whenever I see a picture like this I am always struck by the various ways the men wear their head gear. The second photo is striking just because all but one of the men have removed their head gear.
I've seen the photo of the boys with the Henrys many times and I accept it as genuine. However, my eye is always drawn to the guy with his rifle over his thigh--pointing at the soldier on the right who seems to be thinking: "Point that somewhere else, PLEASE". They probably staged it that way on purpose, but I don't like foolish horseplay with firearms. I like the firearms just fine--but not the horseplay.
Yeah, I don't think the typical volunteer at the time was given much training in firearm safety. I've read of several incidents where soldiers were accidentally killed or wounded in camp by someone who was doing something like cleaning their musket with it loaded. I am sure that sort of thing wasn't too uncommon.

A bit of a closer, less grainy look at the first photo. These men sure look like they have seen some hard campaigning.

shell014.jpg

How far down is that dropoff?
I think its about 100 feet or so. This photo gives a better idea of the height.
shades_tsla_0004-580x801.jpg

As mentioned in the article on photographer Royan M. Linn, another photographer by the name of Roper fell off the rock and was killed. Afterwards the rock also became known as "Roper's Rock".

Back