1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!

7th Arkansas Infantry, Company I

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by Crazycatlady65, Aug 12, 2017.

  1. Crazycatlady65

    Crazycatlady65 Cadet

    Aug 12, 2017
    I'm looking for information on William C Lax (1822 - 1872) who was a member of the 7th Arkansas Infantry, Company I. I believe he was captured on 27 Jul 1864, in Murray Co, GA. He must have been released because he married in 1865. His son, born in 1870, was my husband's great-grandfather. Any information would be appreciated.
    east tennessee roots likes this.

  2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. 7th Mississippi Infantry

    7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

    Sep 28, 2013
    Hello @Crazycatlady65 . Welcome to the forums.

    I'll check the fold3 site and see what I can find about Mr. Lax
    Crazycatlady65 likes this.
  4. 7th Mississippi Infantry

    7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

    Sep 28, 2013
    Here ya go :

    Attached Files:

    SWMODave likes this.
  5. Crazycatlady65

    Crazycatlady65 Cadet

    Aug 12, 2017
    That is so cool! Thank you so much!
  6. mofederal

    mofederal Captain

    Jun 27, 2017
    Southeast Missouri
    Hello and welcome to the forum from Southeast Missouri. I hope you find out the information you need.
  7. JOHN42768

    JOHN42768 Captain Trivia Game Winner

    May 1, 2015
    Upstate N.Y.
    Welcome, enjoy
  8. east tennessee roots

    east tennessee roots Captain

    Dec 31, 2010
    Kingsport, Tennessee



    Shiloh after battle report:

    Report of Maj. James T. Martin, Seventh Arkansas Infantry.

    Hindman, Corinth, Miss., April 12, 1862.

    SIR: Lieut.-Col. Dean having been killed on Sunday at 3 p.m.
    in the charge on one of the enemy's batteries, I, as major of the
    regiment, have the honor to report the following as the major performed
    by the Seventh Arkansas Regt. in the engagement with the enemy
    on April 6 and 7 on the plains of Shiloh:

    On Sunday morning, April 6, precisely at 5 o'clock, the Seventh
    Arkansas Regt., under command of Lieut.-Col. Dean, was
    ordered to advance, which it did in gallant style in the face of a heavy
    fire from the enemy's skirmishers, going over the first hill into the
    valley beyond, where a halt was ordered, to allow our skirmishers to
    drive in the enemy and feel the ground, after which we were ordered to
    advance again at quick-time, which was kept up by us until we had
    crossed a ravine and gained the bank above, at which time the enemy
    in front opened on us a heavy fire, when we were ordered to lie down.

    After halting here for some little time we were again ordered forward,
    and after advancing some 50 yards we opened fire on the enemy, still
    advancing in good order, when a Tennessee regiment, attached to
    Gen. Wood's brigade, having gotten in advance, broke and ran back,
    hallooing "Retreat, retreat," which being mistaken by our men for
    orders of their commander, a retreat was made by them and some
    confusion ensue, which, however, was, by the gallant conduct of
    Col. Dean and the company officers, soon rectified, when we again
    advanced to the charge, and never halted or faltered until we had driven
    the enemy from their first line of encampments. The regiment was then
    formed in line of battle beyond their encampments and marched forward to a
    field, where we halted, to allow our brigade commander to form his
    line. We were then moved about 100 yards and again ordered to
    advance, which we did, to the edge of a field [about 400 yards wide, the
    enemy occupying the opposite side], halted, and ordered to lie down.
    We lay here about fifteen minutes, when we were ordered to fall back
    into a ravine about 40 yards in our rear, where we were again ordered
    to lie down.

    We remained here about fifteen minutes, when Gen. Hindman came
    up and ordered us to charge and take one of the enemy's batteries
    stationed on an elevated portion of ground on the edge of the
    above-mentioned field. [Our ammunition at this time was almost
    expended, which fact I reported to Gen. Hindman. His reply was,
    "You have your bayonets."] We were then formed and put in motion
    and advanced to the edge of the field, when this regiment [Seventh
    Arkansas], being in advance of the other portion of the brigade, was
    halted and the men caused to lie down for a few moments, when, the
    other regiments coming up, we were again ordered to charge, which we
    did, across the open field for 400 yards in the face of a murderous
    cross-fire, and drove the enemy in confusion from their position. We
    were halted in the woods beyond, on the ground just occupied by the
    enemy, when, after forming, we again laid down and rested for a short
    time. We advanced against the foe about 100 yards, when the retreating
    Tennesseans again completely ran over us, throwing our regiment into
    confusion. They were in such great haste to get behind us that they ran
    over and trampled in the mud our brave color-bearer. Happily for us
    and our country we possessed a brave and gallant lieutenant-colonel,
    who, aided by the company officers, for the second time that day rallied
    and formed our broken and disordered ranks. We halted here a little
    time, when, the enemy gaining somewhat the rear on our right, we were
    marched to the rear about 200 yards, and then by the left flank till we
    reached a ravine, where we were formed, and after replenishing our
    ammunition we were moved in line of battle to the right against the
    enemy, who in large force were posted behind some temporary works
    made of logs and supported by a battery of field pieces. We moved
    steadily on and never faltered until we had gained the road on which
    their guns were brought to bear, when we, being on the left, discovered
    that should we advance we could be flanked by the battery, halted; but
    the order being given "Forward," the brave boys of the gallant Seventh
    never wavered, but moved with steady tread, led by our brave and
    gallant commander, into the arms of death.

    After getting across the road and in front of the enemy's position we
    formed and charged home, but unfortunately at this critical time, when
    within 30 yards of the enemy's cannons' mouth, Lieut. Col. John M.
    Dean, our brave commander, fell dead, shot by a Minie ball through the
    neck while gallantly leading us to the charge. He died as a brave man
    and soldier would wish, "with his feet to the foe and his face toward

    The troops then halted and opened a tremendous fire on the foe, when
    one of the most terrific fights of the field ensued. When I was informed
    of the fact that I was in command I found I was greatly deficient in
    officers, owing to the great havoc made by the enemy's guns, also that
    my entire support on the right, or the other portion of the brigade, had
    fallen back. I determined to retreat, and watching my opportunity, when
    the infantry, who were firing by battalions, had delivered a volley and
    the artillery had fired, I ordered a retreat, and happily brought off,
    though in a scattered condition, my entire command then living. I
    formed then in the rear of our advanced lines, and after a little time was
    marched to the rear some distance farther and ordered to bivouac for the
    night. This ended the work of the Seventh Arkansas Regt. for the
    day of Sunday. We were engaged and under fire for ten hours, almost
    the entire time advancing and driving the enemy before us. Our loss on
    this day in officers was heavy. Capt. Cain, Company F, fell wounded
    while gallantly leading his company to the charge early in the action.
    Capt. Brightwell, Company G, led his company with great bravery
    until he fell wounded at 12 m., when the command fell upon First
    Lieut. Gillespie, who led it through the entire engagement. Third
    Lieut.'s John E. Irwin, Company D, and C. I. Deshazo, Company
    I, fell on Sunday, in the charge on the enemy's battery, bravely cheering
    on their men. For other casualties I respectfully refer you to the report
    of killed and wounded, hereunto attached.

    On Monday morning, before the wearied and almost famished men had
    procured anything to eat, I was ordered by an aide to form my men and
    prepare for action, as we were being surrounded on all sides. The men,
    though weary, fell cheerfully in, and we were marched about
    three-fourths of a mile on our left, and formed, along with the
    remainder of the brigade, on an eminence in rear of one of our
    batteries. I caused my men to lie down, and in about a half hour's time
    our brigade commander ordered our lines forward. I promptly put my
    command in a position to advance, so as to form on the left of our lines.
    As soon as we had crossed a ravine in our front and our column was
    ordered forward, I, with my command, was ordered back to my old
    position, to protect the battery, by an aide of Gen. Beauregard. I did
    so, and ordered my men to lie down, where we remained in painful
    suspense and under fire four or five hours, when, our lines giving way
    and the battery changing its position, I fell back and moved about 200
    yards to the right, when, the enemy making his appearance in large
    force in front of my position, I ordered a charge; my gallant men
    obeyed, and at double-quick and shouldered arms, in the face of the
    most deadly fire I ever faced. Coming in range with my flint-lock
    muskets I ordered a halt, and the fire commenced from our lines, which
    quickly brought the enemy to a halt. I would here mention that our
    support on the left consisted of a disorganized body of men rallied by
    an aide of Gen. Beauregard's, who, with flag in hand, led us to the
    charge. It was a gallant deed, and I regret very much I do not know
    who he was. After delivering four volleys, re-enforcements appearing
    for the enemy to the right, subjecting me to a cross-fire, and my support
    giving way on my left at this time, I was compelled to retire, which we
    did, and formed in the rear on the right of a line of our cut-up and
    disorganized forces. I there remained until the line on which I formed
    broke, and I again retired. This, as near as I can judge-my watch having
    been stopped by the violent concussions-at 3.30 or 4 p.m. I then had
    organized under my command near 200 men, although not all of my
    own regiment, as others of the Arkansas regiments rallied on me. The
    force charged by my regiment, as above spoken of, consisted of six
    Yankee regiments. The reason I know I counted six flags in sight. I then
    withdrew my force to the rear of the field, and on Tuesday, at 4 p.m.,
    reached my encampment at this place, having been preceded by my command.

    This report has necessarily been lengthy, but I cannot close it before I
    notice the gallant conduct of some of my officers, who distinguished
    themselves on a field and in a command where all did their
    duty and fought as though they were determined to conquer. First, if a
    first there be, among the roll of these gallant spirits, ranks Capt.
    Martin, of Company A. He fought gallantly, and bravely led his men at
    a shoulder arms against a foe whose long-range guns dealt death and
    destruction and fell back, he and his gallant company and officers stood
    their ground and on them the regiment rallied. Capt. McCauley,
    Company K, also highly distinguished himself, and in the last charge on
    Sunday against the enemy's battery he fell while gallantly leading his
    company. Capt.'s Warner, Company D, and Rutherford, Company E;
    Lieut. Andrews, Company K; Lieut. Gillespie, Company G,
    and Lieut.'s Brown and Pearson, Company B, all highly
    distinguished themselves by their reckless disregard of personal safety
    when duty called them.

    Respectfully submitted.

    Maj., Cmdg.

    Source: Official Records: Series I. Vol. 10. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 10


    Stone's River after battle report:

    Report of Maj. William F. Douglass, Sixth Arkansas Infantry,
    commanding Sixth and Seventh Regiments.

    JANUARY 11, 1863.
    SIR: In making a report of battles at Murfreesborough, Tenn.,
    commencing December 30, 1862, as ordered, I labor under the necessity
    of making a very imperfect exhibit of the important part taken by those
    two combined regiments now under my command, since I was not in
    command during the first and second days of the engagement, and was,
    during a part of the 31st, absent from the field owing to a painful
    contusion on the right arm from the effects of a spent ball, but shall,
    from my own observation and information received from Capt. [J. W.]
    Martin, now acting lieutenant-colonel, furnish the following:

    As our previous movements were only preparatory, I need commence
    only with the morning of December 31, when McNair's brigade,
    moving off by their left flank, gave place for our forward movement
    into an open corn-field, through which we had moved about half way
    when a continuous line of the enemy was seen advancing from the
    woods beyond to gain the protection of a fence in our front, when, from
    the line of infantry and a rifled battery 200 yards immediately in front
    of my regiment, a most destructive fire was opened, and the action
    became general on the whole left. In the exposed position occupied by
    our men our loss just at this point was five times greater than during the
    rest of the day. About 20 rounds had been fired when the enemy gave
    way, our men rapidly following past two abandoned guns of the enemy's
    battery and scores of their dead across the field and into the woods
    beyond. I may mention here that the advance of McNair's brigade on
    our left and flanking the enemy was, perhaps, one cause of their giving
    way on their right, as they had a strong position, and our battery was
    ineffective by being in our rear on level ground, killing and wounding
    several of our men while firing over them. After crossing the fence with
    my regiment and reaching the position occupied by the enemy's
    abandoned battery, it was observed that line of the enemy in front of the
    Fifth and Second Arkansas Regiments had not given way, but still
    occupied their position behind the fence. Our men were ordered to face
    obliquely to the rear and deliver an enfilading fire that soon routed
    them, when the pursuit was maintained by the whole brigade across the
    wide scope of woods in front to the vicinity of a cotton-field and Yankee
    hospital, where the enemy again made an attempt at a stand, but were
    rapidly driven back, the right of our regiment passing near the hospital,
    across the turnpike and into the woods beyond, where we were halted
    to rest the men and get a fresh supply of ammunition, the firing still
    being kept up by brigades on our right. We were soon ordered forward,
    and encountered the enemy on the borders of an old field, across which
    we drove them until, Gen. Johnson's brigade coming up to relieve us,
    we were ordered to halt and reform our disordered lines. As soon as our
    line formed, we moved forward as a reserve to Gen. Johnson, and
    found the enemy in the edge of a cedar thicket, warmly contesting the
    ground with him. Our men, gaining a ridge about 100 yards in rear of
    Gen. Johnson and in sight of the enemy, raised a shout and started
    forward at double-quick, when the Yankees faced to the right-about and
    disappeared in the thicket, Gen. Johnson's brigade pursuing them to
    the edge of this thicket, where they [Johnson's brigade] had a strong
    position, protected by rocks and the nature of the ground, while our line
    had been halted in the rear in an exposed position behind the fence on
    a ridge. Just at this time, though the firing did not seem heavy in our
    front, and one of the enemy's batteries had been abandoned and was in
    our possession, Gen. Johnson's brigade gave way, the movement
    commencing on their right, and, I think, occasioned by the retreat of
    Ector's brigade, still farther to the right. After Gen. Johnson's
    brigade had passed our line, and it was found that we were entirely
    unsupported on either flank, Col. Govan gave the order to fall back
    [Col. Smith was wounded at this point and the command devolved
    upon Lieut.-Col. Cameron] to a stronger position across the
    open fields and into the woods in rear, where we reformed our line and
    awaited the advance of the enemy that was never made, and closed the
    fighting on our part for the day.

    As our subsequent movements on the succeeding days were only
    intended to develop the enemy, and, if possible, draw him from his
    strongly fortified position without resulting in any actual engagement,
    it is needless for me to make any report, though I may state that on the
    third day we lost two of our men by fire from batteries in the same
    thicket from which our troops had been repulsed, and that
    Lieut.-Col. Cameron was dangerously wounded by a ball shot
    from a Yankee hospital, from which their flag was then flying.

    Throughout the entire action our men exhibited the most enthusiastic
    courage, never flinching from any charge, no matter how desperate,
    well sustaining that reputation they had won at such cost on other fields.
    Of the action of the Sixth Arkansas Regt. I need only refer to their
    long list* of killed and wounded to show how gallantly they had acted
    throughout that day. The Seventh Arkansas Regt. was not behind in
    gallant deeds, if I except those men reported by their captains as having
    left the field; those remaining were as true as steel.

    In making this imperfect report I have been greatly assisted by Capt.
    Martin for that part of the engagement when I was not on the field.

    Of the gallantry of individual officers and men I would beg leave to
    defer special mention until the return of Col. Smith, whose wound
    will detain him some weeks from the command.

    Maj., Cmdg.

    Capt. [G. A.] WILLIAMS,
    [Assistant Adjutant-Gen.]

    Source: Official Records
    PAGE 868-29 KY., MID. AND E. TENN., N. ALA., AND SW. VA. [CHAP. XXXII.
    [Series I. Vol. 20. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 29.]


    Chickamagua after battle report:

    Report of Lieut. Col. Peter Snyder, Seventh Arkansas Infantry,
    commanding Sixth and Seventh Arkansas Infantry.

    October 5, 1863.
    SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part
    taken by the Sixth and Seventh Arkansas Regt.'s (consolidated).
    Col. D. A. Gillespie commanding, in the battle of the 19th and
    20th instant:

    On the morning of the 19th, at 11 o'clock, the command was
    ordered to advance, and morning forward in the line of battle
    (with skirmishers deployed in front of and on the left flank of the
    regiment, this being the left regiment of the brigade) about 1
    mile, when we found the enemy in line lying down awaiting our
    attack. He did not reply to the fire of our skirmishers, but
    awaited until the line
    came up, when he poured in a very heavy fire, which was
    returned by the regiment and immediately followed by a charge
    which drove the enemy in confusion, leaving his artillery in
    position in front of the regiment, when a desperate fight ensued
    with their second line, which lasted for some twenty minutes,
    when their cavalry and infantry flanked us on the left and
    compelled us to fall back to a point about half a mile in rear of
    the position, where the brigade was reformed and moved on the
    extreme right of the line occupied by our forces.

    At about 2 p. m. we again advanced. While moving to the front
    the regiment was thrown somewhat in confusion by a section of
    artillery, which had been unlimbered in ranks, but recovered
    from this readily; moved on about 100 paces to the front, where
    it was halted and received a very heavy fire from the enemy's
    artillery and infantry from the left oblique, where the enemy was
    in position [as was afterward ascertained] behind log
    breastworks, the troops on our left having been compelled to fall
    back on account of the murderous fire poured into them by the
    enemy. We were charged by him, coming almost directly down
    upon the left flank of the regiment, when it gave way and took
    position in rear of the hill over which we had advanced, where
    we lay all night, and next morning were moved to the left near
    the point at which we met the enemy the preceding morning, and
    immediately moved back to the right. At about 12 m. engaged
    the enemy for the third time, when we drove him back to his
    breastworks, but, owing to the heavy loss sustained and the want
    of support to our left, we were unable to drive him any farther.
    While in front of and about 100 yards distant from his
    breastworks, the enemy threw a very heavy column of infantry
    upon our left flank and compelled us to retire.

    At about 3.30 p. m. we again advanced, with Jackson's brigade
    on our left, which felt the enemy first and halted to fire upon
    him; continued to [move] forward until we reached the Will's
    Valley and Chattanooga road, where we found two batteries of
    the enemy in position on our left, supported by a heavy infantry
    force, which poured a most murderous fire of canister and grape
    down our line, and soon as I saw the regiment thus exposed to
    an enfilading fire of artillery and infantry, and entirely without
    support on the left, I withdrew my command to a point about 400
    yards to the rear, and afterward moved forward to the road,
    where we remained until we left the field.

    Lieut. Col., Comdg. Sixth and Seventh Arkansas Regt.'s.

    Col. D. C. GOVAN,
    Comdg. First Arkansas Brigade.

    Source: Official Records
    [Series I. Vol. 30. Part II, Reports. Serial No. 51.]

    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  9. Crazycatlady65

    Crazycatlady65 Cadet

    Aug 12, 2017
    Thank you so much!
  10. AUG351

    AUG351 Captain Forum Host

    Nov 20, 2012
  11. Crazycatlady65

    Crazycatlady65 Cadet

    Aug 12, 2017
    Thank you! I have lots to learn!
  12. Jimklag

    Jimklag Major Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

    Mar 3, 2017
    Welcome, Cat Lady. Glad to have you join us.
    Crazycatlady65 likes this.
  13. captaindrew

    captaindrew 2nd Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

    Mar 13, 2017
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Welcome to the forum from South Florida
    Crazycatlady65 likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Share This Page

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)